Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Glare and dark Nikon N80 vewfinder..

TooManyShots
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Glare and dark Nikon N80 vewfinder..

I got the Nikon N80 to replace my N90s because the N90s isn't compatible with most of my lenses. The N80s is perfect. All of my lenses, Sigma 18-35 F1.8 Art (no vignetting from 28mm to 35mm), Tokina 11-20 f2.8, Tamron 45 f1.8 VC, and Tamron 70-200 vc, work on it...even with the VC.

I am somewhat disappointed by the smaller viewfinder despite that is FF 35mm SLR. The viewfinder optics are PLASTIC. I even opened up the body and to remove the viewfinder optics to check to see if I can brighten it up at bit. I even used polishing compound and buffed it up with some car wax. Visually, the plastic optics looked a lot better. However, it feels like there is a foggy appearance in the viewfinder. Shooting at the light source really makes the appearance more foggy. Covering at the left side of my eye when looking at the viewfinder would help a bit.

The viewfinder PLASTIC optics aren't coated. My question is that if you have a Nikon N80, is yours having the same issues with the viewfinder? I guess if I am picky, my next best film body upgrade would be the F100.

Dec 10, 2017 at 09:10 PM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Glare and dark Nikon N80 vewfinder..

IIRC the viewfinder brightened up when the meter was on. It has been a while since I used the N80, so I may be wrong.

Dec 11, 2017 at 08:38 PM
TooManyShots
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Glare and dark Nikon N80 vewfinder..

I know THAT. That wasn't I was referring to. Is just what it is with plastic optics on the viewfinder. Glares tend to make the viewfinder a bit foggy... It gets better when I shield my left eyes from strait light...

Dec 11, 2017 at 10:41 PM
p.sage

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Glare and dark Nikon N80 vewfinder..

Get the F100.

It's got a gorgeous finder, it's massive and very bright! Plus, they can be had for 100 bucks easily.

Dec 12, 2017 at 09:39 AM
TooManyShots
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Glare and dark Nikon N80 vewfinder..

$100?? Don't think so....hehehehe....

Dec 12, 2017 at 11:44 AM
Desmolicious
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Glare and dark Nikon N80 vewfinder..

p.sage wrote:
Get the F100.

It's got a gorgeous finder, it's massive and very bright! Plus, they can be had for 100 bucks easily.

I have one. The finder is not massive and it is not especially bright. And you can't get it for $100. $150 and up.
A very nice camera for $150. A really freakin nice camera for $150.

Dec 12, 2017 at 02:41 PM
p.sage

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Glare and dark Nikon N80 vewfinder..

0.76 is quite decent vf magnification in today's world. Larger than my D750. Larger than the Maxxum 9, F5, RTS 3, EOS 1-V, MZ-s... Sure, it's no OM or Aria, but it's plenty big, and bigger than what he's got.

I got mine for 100 from keh, in perfect condition, so it's definitely possible. Dunno why we're dealing in absolutes here lol, I'm sure there are some who've purchased them for even less.

Dec 12, 2017 at 02:59 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Glare and dark Nikon N80 vewfinder..

Dunno, but isnt F4 kinda affordable?

If I wanted to shoot film (which I do), I wont go lower than 645. Or Leica M.

Dec 12, 2017 at 03:42 PM
TooManyShots
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Glare and dark Nikon N80 vewfinder..

Mescalamba wrote:
Dunno, but isnt F4 kinda affordable?

If I wanted to shoot film (which I do), I wont go lower than 645. Or Leica M.

I used to have a Hasselblad 553 elx with a 80mm f2.8 CT. I sold it because I don't use it enough. Two, the scanning workflow is a too involved. I used to DSLR scan my medium format negatives. It works but very, very time consuming because I need to setup a light stand and my DSLR and Sigma 105 macro lens on a tripod. Then, I have to tape down the 6x6 strips on a piece of cut out cardboard and getting all aligned to the light stand.

With the Hasselblad, I ended up getting an eye level prism but the entire system is too bulky and heavy. I sold the kit for some nice change too. I was thinking about quitting film too but I still have a 100ft roll of Ilford BW film and it has not been used up yet. And have plenty of chemicals left. I tried to redevelop my interest in film again. The N80 allows me to use my existing Nikon mounted lenses..which is great. I have a 35mm Plustek scanner and the scanning process is a lot faster and easier to do.

So far, I like how my Tamron 45 f1.8 and Sigma 18-35 f1.8 ART shot in film though....

Dec 12, 2017 at 07:20 PM
Mescalamba
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Glare and dark Nikon N80 vewfinder..

TooManyShots wrote:
I used to have a Hasselblad 553 elx with a 80mm f2.8 CT. I sold it because I don't use it enough. Two, the scanning workflow is a too involved. I used to DSLR scan my medium format negatives. It works but very, very time consuming because I need to setup a light stand and my DSLR and Sigma 105 macro lens on a tripod. Then, I have to tape down the 6x6 strips on a piece of cut out cardboard and getting all aligned to the light stand.

With the Hasselblad, I ended up getting an eye level prism
...Show more

That makes perfect sense.

Dec 13, 2017 at 01:50 PM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.