New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · XQD card in D500

Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · XQD card in D500

will no longer format. Two-button method to format as well as Menu method don't format the card. Even doing it with the Menu shows 'Formatting Memory Card', followed by 'Formatting Complete', but all images remain on the card.

Should I format the card on my Mac using Disk Utility?

Cross-posted to Canon Forum.

Don't see any downloadable software on Lexar site for initializing or formatting XQD cards, if there ever was any.

Dec 10, 2017 at 08:08 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · XQD card in D500

Hi Tony,

Before formating in computer which should work, I suggest you do some swapping between cameras and cards. Try a friend or a local camera store if you don't have spares.

Morris

Dec 10, 2017 at 08:16 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · XQD card in D500

morris wrote:
Hi Tony,

Before formating in computer which should work, I suggest you do some swapping between cameras and cards. Try a friend or a local camera store if you don't have spares.

Morris

Thanks, but I am not going to go to all the hassle of trying to find someone with another camera that takes XQD cards if a computer formatting works.

Dec 10, 2017 at 08:20 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · XQD card in D500

Discovered the 'problem'.

Just in case anyone has this happen: I just recently put a SD card in the second slot and had backup images written to that card. I guess when you use the 2-button formatting method it only formats the primary slot. In Menu, I selected and formatted the second slot also. All images gone.

Dec 10, 2017 at 08:27 PM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · XQD card in D500

Imagemaster wrote:
Discovered the 'problem'.

Just in case anyone has this happen: I just recently put a SD card in the second slot and had backup images written to that card. I guess when you use the 2-button formatting method it only formats the primary slot. In Menu, I selected and formatted the second slot also. All images gone.

I think the two-button format method lets you choose which slot, but I forget the exact procedure. Check Steve Perry's YouTube video - I think he explains it there.

Dec 10, 2017 at 11:20 PM
Karl Witt
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · XQD card in D500

Is the card locked? Assuming that a XQD card can be locked so you can’t wrte to it..
Karl

Dec 11, 2017 at 12:11 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · XQD card in D500

I already posted the solution & there is no lock on the XQD card.

Dec 11, 2017 at 12:46 AM
molson
• • • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · XQD card in D500

Imagemaster wrote:
Cross-posted to Canon Forum.

I'm still trying to figure out why anyone on the Canon forum would care about XQD cards, unless this is a warning not to buy a camera that uses such an obsolete memory card format... now that the only company still making them appears to be switching to CFast for their own cameras.

Dec 11, 2017 at 08:52 AM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · XQD card in D500

molson wrote:
I'm still trying to figure out why anyone on the Canon forum would care about XQD cards, unless this is a warning not to buy a camera that uses such an obsolete memory card format... now that the only company still making them appears to be switching to CFast for their own cameras.

Well maybe someone owns both Canon and Nikon and doesn't look on the Nikon Forum all the time. Who cares?

Maybe I posted it there just to give you something to try and figure out. And that worked.

Dec 11, 2017 at 01:45 PM
bbourizk
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · XQD card in D500

You can choose which card to format with the two button way. Just turn the rear command dial and you can choose which one in the top LCD screen.

Dec 11, 2017 at 06:06 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.