Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · A7rIII Read/Write Buffer Bug?

Kronologix

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A7rIII Read/Write Buffer Bug?

Today I took the camera for a spin to shot the snow and I noticed an odd behavior. After I took a single picture, the reading/writing icon came up showing it was loading into the card, I was able to continue shooting other stills without an issue but it would not let me record a movie until it cleared.

The funny thing is that sometimes it would go on for 5min and the card writing icon would keep on going, so I turned off the camera and turned it back on, this cleared the R/W icon after a few sec. Is this normal?

This is the first time I constantly changed from shooting stills to shooting movies so I don't know if that behavior was there, to begin with. I'm sure I'm missing something or might be related to some obscure setting I forgot to properly configure, if not, could it be a bug?

I tried multiple lenses so I don't know what triggered it. Some were canon with the mc11 adapter, others Voigtlander with the Nikon adapter and others Native sony. I started to notice the issue when using an old sigma macro that would not allow me to use the AF properly and all the sony natives after that.

The card was a SanDisk ExtremePro 128GB UHS1

Dec 10, 2017 at 05:53 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A7rIII Read/Write Buffer Bug?

You should be using a USII card in the first slot

Dec 10, 2017 at 06:07 PM
Kronologix

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A7rIII Read/Write Buffer Bug?

GMPhotography wrote:
You should be using a USII card in the first slot

I get that, but even with a UHS-I card, I found the lag write/buffer for a SINGLE image to be way too excessive. Not an issue if you just shooting movies or pictures back to back, but when alternating it prevents me from switching until it clears...I will try with the UHS-II as you mention to see if that solves the issue though.

Thanks

Dec 10, 2017 at 06:49 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A7rIII Read/Write Buffer Bug?

Are you shooting compressed or uncompressed

Dec 10, 2017 at 07:08 PM
Kronologix

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A7rIII Read/Write Buffer Bug?

GMPhotography wrote:
Are you shooting compressed or uncompressed

uncompressed. I know, a larger file, but if that is the culprit, I wonder why it only matters when switching from picture to movie and not when just shooting one or the other back to back?

Dec 10, 2017 at 08:55 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A7rIII Read/Write Buffer Bug?

I imagine it’s got to clear out first before another function

Dec 10, 2017 at 09:01 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A7rIII Read/Write Buffer Bug?

Your fighting a uphill battle with uncompressed and a slow card.

Dec 10, 2017 at 09:33 PM
Kronologix

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A7rIII Read/Write Buffer Bug?

That's understandable, but the odd behavior is that I was able to clear the buffer by turning off the camera and back on without losing the data.

Dec 10, 2017 at 10:17 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A7rIII Read/Write Buffer Bug?

I believe it’s still writing data when you turned it off. Sometimes you’ll hear a sound after you turn the camera off

Dec 10, 2017 at 10:20 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.