New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · A7rIII File naming

rji2goleez
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A7rIII File naming

Probably a silly question but I changed the first three letters for file naming from 'DSC' to 'RJI' and when I go back to that menu option (Setup, page 5), I see 'RJI'. However, the files as written to the card show up as 'DSC'.

What am I missing?

Dec 10, 2017 at 09:10 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A7rIII File naming

I did the same to GMP but have yet to check them.

Dec 10, 2017 at 09:18 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A7rIII File naming

So it does look like a bug in setting up your file names. For me it is GMP instead of DSC and at first it caught the jpegs in slot 2 but not the raws in slot 1. Having reset it and tried again its in neither now. Ill keep working it but its not sticking. Anyone else

Dec 10, 2017 at 10:47 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A7rIII File naming

True, the new file naming does not stick.

Dec 10, 2017 at 10:50 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A7rIII File naming

My wife and the dang Christmas tree. Try this folks I think it will work. Put your cards in the computer and trash everything off the card into the trash empty the trash. Your getting rid of old settings on the card. Than put cards back in camera with new 3 letter setting and format the cards again with the new settings. Let me know if this works

Dec 10, 2017 at 11:16 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A7rIII File naming

No working either . We got a bug

Dec 10, 2017 at 12:12 PM
Matt Grum
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A7rIII File naming

rji2goleez wrote:
Probably a silly question but I changed the first three letters for file naming from 'DSC' to 'RJI' and when I go back to that menu option (Setup, page 5), I see 'RJI'. However, the files as written to the card show up as 'DSC'.

What am I missing?

I experienced the same. I wondering if you have to format the card afterwards to force the camera to generate the image database. I haven't tried it yet.

Dec 10, 2017 at 12:16 PM
iammikie
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A7rIII File naming

I formatted the cards in camera and it worked for me. There are two OK's required in the renaming process.

Dec 10, 2017 at 12:35 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A7rIII File naming

Didn't work. I formatted both cards. Then went an re-entered my three letters for file name, took a shot and looked at the file on the card with computer. Still named as DSC. Checked 'Set File Name' on camera menu and it says RJI. Weird.

Dec 10, 2017 at 12:46 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A7rIII File naming

Same issue I deleted everything on both cards on computer than reformatted in camera with new name and new database. I’ll keep trying

Dec 10, 2017 at 01:10 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A7rIII File naming

iammikie wrote:
I formatted the cards in camera and it worked for me. There are two OK's required in the renaming process.

Hmmm. Thought I did that. I’ll try again

Dec 10, 2017 at 01:11 PM
mikesul
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A7rIII File naming

I set the new file name when I got the camera on Monday. I had not noticed until i saw this thread that the prefix was still DSC. I just changed the prefix again and it took. My next photo had the new prefix. Strange. Anyway that is a work around if you need it.

Dec 10, 2017 at 02:36 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A7rIII File naming

I also tried when I first got the camera. I just tried changing the three letter designation to something else 'BOB' and while the menu shows it, the file names still say 'DSC'

Dec 10, 2017 at 04:11 PM
doogie2304
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A7rIII File naming

From Fred's post in the A7Rii bugs thread:

"Today, I changed the file name again and immediately formatted the card and it worked. I also temporarily changed 'file number' from series to reset to make numbers start at '0001'. Now that it's taking the new prefix I reversed file number to 'series' again. Seems good but I'm still not sure what really fixed it."

I did this and so far the name change has stuck - I have swapped back to 'series' and formatted/read/formatted the card a number of times.

Dec 10, 2017 at 04:16 PM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · A7rIII File naming

I just took the card and erased it via disk utility on my mac. I then formatted the card in camera, took a picture and still get a file name with DSC but according to camera, it should be RJI

Dec 10, 2017 at 04:30 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · A7rIII File naming

doogie2304 wrote:
From Fred's post in the A7Rii bugs thread:

"Today, I changed the file name again and immediately formatted the card and it worked. I also temporarily changed 'file number' from series to reset to make numbers start at '0001'. Now that it's taking the new prefix I reversed file number to 'series' again. Seems good but I'm still not sure what really fixed it."

I did this and so far the name change has stuck - I have swapped back to 'series' and formatted/read/formatted the card a number of times.

I got it to work. Fred your the man!!!!!!!!

Dec 10, 2017 at 05:38 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.