New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · A7rIII memory recall

Viramati
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A7rIII memory recall

Well maybe I'm getting old or am hard of understanding but I am having real difficulty getting to grips of what these settings are doing and how you work them. I see people talking about setting a recall setting to a custom button etc and though I have the memory thing sorted (though I rarely use it) on the A7rII these new setting have me baffled!!! any pointers to any deeper explanation of these setting would be gratefully accepted as i find the help guide not very informative in this area. Thanks

Dec 10, 2017 at 07:07 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A7rIII memory recall

Going through it myself. I set up one but it’s Regular AF its not Eye AF which is what I want but anyway once you register it. Looks like in custom functions setup a custom function can be set for recall. 1,2,3

I got MY menu setup but here I can’t find a shortcut to get to it outside jumping back into the menu itself.

These are things I never done on the A9

But I would love to do a AF/on with zone or flex spot and a Eye AF with wide in my Af/on and AEL buttons.

Sony still has made these buttons with no real bump on them. I’m adding Sugru tonight to make the buttons bigger. But they did make the dial stiffer so I put ISO on that and bought me a extra Custom function button.

Dec 10, 2017 at 07:14 AM
moosehead222
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A7rIII memory recall

Guy, I assume your Sugru stuff is permanent? Thank you for all your posts.

Dec 10, 2017 at 08:40 AM
Mystik
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A7rIII memory recall

You're basically assigning a set of exposure and focus settings to a recall function. If you map that particular focus recall setting to a button, holding that button while shooting will override whatever settings the camera is currently set to, and engage the AF and exposure settings you assigned to that function. When you release the button, the camera will jump back to the 'current' exposure settings.

At a high level, it means you can do things like toggle the camera into AV mode by holding a button down, even if the selection wheel is set to TV mode. At a deeper level, you can do things like focus with a wide focus area on the fly when something happens outside of your current AF selection area and you don't have time to move the AF point.

Dec 10, 2017 at 08:56 AM
rji2goleez
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A7rIII memory recall

Interesting! I've only mapped shooting configurations to the memory setting for the dial. One for tripod single shot, one for tripod bracketed and the third for moving/action like BIF. But to get that last one on the fly with a button would be cool!

Dec 10, 2017 at 09:14 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A7rIII memory recall

moosehead222 wrote:
Guy, I assume your Sugru stuff is permanent? Thank you for all your posts.

No you can peel it off anytime without causing any damage or even paint. I used it on every Sony. Just let it set overnight to harden. It’s cheap and easy solution. Nice thing is you can mold it to whatever size you like. You can get it on Amazon.

There are also hard buttons you can buy but they fall off

Dec 10, 2017 at 09:16 AM
Mystik
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A7rIII memory recall

rji2goleez wrote:
Interesting! I've only mapped shooting configurations to the memory setting for the dial. One for tripod single shot, one for tripod bracketed and the third for moving/action like BIF. But to get that last one on the fly with a button would be cool!

Yeah for BIF, I imaging you can do something like set a recall setting to TV mode, 1/2000s, auto ISO, wide AF area, continuous AF, and high continuous shooting.

You can also create one with a drive mode set to continuous bracketed shooting....so no need to click around the camera if you decide you want to take an HDR.

Dec 10, 2017 at 09:22 AM
Viramati
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A7rIII memory recall

Mystik wrote:
You're basically assigning a set of exposure and focus settings to a recall function. If you map that particular focus recall setting to a button, holding that button while shooting will override whatever settings the camera is currently set to, and engage the AF and exposure settings you assigned to that function. When you release the button, the camera will jump back to the 'current' exposure settings.

At a high level, it means you can do things like toggle the camera into AV mode by holding a button down, even if the selection wheel is set to TV mode. At a
...Show more

Thanks but the bit I haven't figured out is how you map it to a custom button?

Dec 10, 2017 at 09:31 AM
tn1krr
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A7rIII memory recall

GMPhotography wrote:
No you can peel it off anytime without causing any damage or even paint. I used it on every Sony. Just let it set overnight to harden. It’s cheap and easy solution. Nice thing is you can mold it to whatever size you like. You can get it on Amazon.

Sugru is great stuff, I use it quite lot. I used it to make the $20 Sony A6000 L plate I bough from ebay much more comfortable; it had some sharpish edges that dug into my palm and with some well-placed Sugru mods it was much better. My camera bag always have a couple of packets of Sugru when I travel, just in case. I've also used it to get couple of extra years from broken $200 trekking boots, I just fixed an inch long hole in my wife's waterproof winter boots, fixed a bunch of toys for my two small kids etc.

Dec 10, 2017 at 09:33 AM
Mystik
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A7rIII memory recall

Viramati wrote:
Thanks but the bit I haven't figured out is how you map it to a custom button?

Tab 2, page 8/9, "Custom Key"

Assign "recall custom hold X" to the button you want to use.

FYI for those who don't know, the recall custom settings are on tab 1, page 4/14, "Reg Cust Shoot Set"

Dec 10, 2017 at 09:38 AM
Viramati
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A7rIII memory recall

Mystik wrote:
Tab 2, page 8/9, "Custom Key"

Assign "recall custom hold X" to the button you want to use.

FYI for those who don't know, the recall custom settings are on tab 1, page 4/14, "Reg Cust Shoot Set"

Thanks. There are times when I miss the simplicity of the menus of my Leica M240

Dec 10, 2017 at 09:48 AM
Mystik
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A7rIII memory recall

Viramati wrote:
Thanks. There are times when I miss the simplicity of the menus of my Leica M240

Hah yeah but think of it this way....you dig through all this complexity setting up the camera when you're not shooting so things are easier when you're out there actively shooting. Now that I have everything set up, things are so well automated and simplified in the shooting interface that there is minimal amount of the camera getting in the way of getting the shot in the field

Dec 10, 2017 at 10:23 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A7rIII memory recall

Yea the whole point of this is to keep you out of playing around being distracted in the field where it counts. I taught so many workshops and watched people fooling around with stupid stuff and watching a sunset go by. Crazy

The other assets here of setting everything up is keeping you OUT of the menus.

Dec 10, 2017 at 10:39 AM
Sy Sez
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A7rIII memory recall

This might help?

https://www.colbybrownphotography.com/getting-the-most-out-of-your-sony-a7r-iii/

Dec 10, 2017 at 11:11 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · A7rIII memory recall

Hmm... appears you cannot register EyeAF to a custom hold 1,2,or 3. Only AF-ON is available. Sony really missed on that one!

Dec 10, 2017 at 11:29 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · A7rIII memory recall

schlotz wrote:
Hmm... appears you cannot register EyeAF to a custom hold 1,2,or 3. Only AF-ON is available. Sony really missed on that one!

Totally agree we need to add this to the bug list thread. Would you mind. My wife has got me on Christmas decorations no matter how sick I am. See what comes first. Lol

Dec 10, 2017 at 11:51 AM
schlotz
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · A7rIII memory recall

Well here's another thing that's not working, or at least I'm unable to figure it out. You can either control the a7rIII with your smartphone (iphone here) OR you can use the smartphone to pass along GPS info BUT if you control the shutter with the smartphone NO GPS INFO is passed to the camera. ARGH!!!!!

Dec 10, 2017 at 12:27 PM
Viramati
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · A7rIII memory recall

of course the great thing about the Sony's is that they are so customisable and yes once you have it set up it is rare that one needs to go into the menu system. In fact on the A7rII I probably only ever went into the main menu to change from FF to APS-C and I now have this assigned to a custom button

Dec 10, 2017 at 12:27 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · A7rIII memory recall

Mystik wrote:

At a high level, it means you can do things like toggle the camera into AV mode by holding a button down, even if the selection wheel is set to TV mode. At a
...Show more

I like your example of assigning a wide focus area on the fly when shooting in flexible spot.

Dec 11, 2017 at 07:33 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · A7rIII memory recall

So in effect that button needs to be at your thumb per say so you can shoot with your index. For me that maybe the down dial

Dec 11, 2017 at 07:38 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.