New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Hard Life

Allyn Hill
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Hard Life

Walking around downtown Tucson and took some shots. Yes would like CC.

Hard Life

Edited on Dec 10, 2017 at 05:20 PM · View previous versions

Dec 09, 2017 at 09:12 PM
sum1sgrampa
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Hard Life

You say you were "walking around " downtown Tucson so I assume you don't personally know this gentleman. I'm of the opinion that he should be the only one who has a right to critique your portrait of him. If he found it flattering and wanted it shared, then by all means share it. However, if he doesn't find it flattering and preferred that it wasn't shared, then I find this post very disrespectful. What did he think of your picture ?

Dec 09, 2017 at 10:27 PM
Allyn Hill
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Hard Life

sum1sgrampa wrote:
You say you were "walking around " downtown Tucson so I assume you don't personally know this gentleman. I'm of the opinion that he should be the only one who has a right to critique your portrait of him. If he found it flattering and wanted it shared, then by all means share it. However, if he doesn't find it flattering and preferred that it wasn't shared, then I find this post very disrespectful. What did he think of your picture ?

Hmmmm...folks like yourself really are what is wrong with this country anymore. You assume things without even asking any questions. For your information, I asked the gentleman if I could take his photo. His response was "yes, but give me money", which I did. We both got what we wanted out of the deal. The only one here that is disrespectful is yourself.

Dec 09, 2017 at 10:36 PM
brick33308
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Hard Life

I like the image but not the processing which looks overbaked to my eyes. I'd dial back the clarity/contrast.

Dec 10, 2017 at 09:23 AM
sum1sgrampa
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Hard Life

Allyn Hill wrote:
Hmmmm...folks like yourself really are what is wrong with this country anymore. You assume things without even asking any questions. For your information, I asked the gentleman if I could take his photo. His response was "yes, but give me money", which I did. We both got what we wanted out of the deal. The only one here that is disrespectful is yourself.

Well, I guess that's one view of what is wrong with our country today. However, I don't see how it applies to me which you would come to realize if you actually read everything I wrote.
Another view of what might be wrong with our country today is there are far too many people who lack empathy, sensitivity, and mutual respect for their fellow citizens. In my mind, all people should be granted a certain modicum of respect until such time as their actions no longer warrant that respect. Taking snapshots of strangers on the street and posting those pictures on a social media site is an invasion of their privacy. Not in the legal sense, mind you, but in the moral sense. They are being dehumanized and objectified and being seen as no more than a prop. And since you invited questions:
What made you pick this person out ?
Why did you label the photo "Hard Life" ?
My original question- What did he think of his picture ?
What do you hope to gain by posting snapshots of random strangers no one has any connection with ?
And finally, a question maybe you should be asking yourself: If you passed a well dressed business man with some type of abnormality that you thought would make an interesting picture, would you stop him and offer him a dollar to take his picture ?

And with that, I'll be heading back to Nature & Wildlife. It's obvious I don't belong here.

Dec 10, 2017 at 10:14 AM
Allyn Hill
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Hard Life

Thanks, I am trying to figure out where that happy-media is on that.

Dec 10, 2017 at 01:14 PM
Ernie Aubert
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Hard Life

sum1sgrampa, it's not at all obvious that you don't belong here. That conclusion was based on one individual's post, no more. I was wondering myself why the OP seemed not to have digested the fact that you posed two opposite "if" scenarios, revealing that you weren't assuming one way or the other. That was obvious to anyone who read your post with any degree of attention.

Dec 10, 2017 at 01:38 PM

FM Forums | People Photography | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.