New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Steady Shot on/off

moosehead222
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Steady Shot on/off

I forgot to take off Steady Shot when using a tripod yesterday.
All look fine and after I set up a memory for tripod work, I will not forget.
However, could someone explain what negative effects may happen if you have Steady shot turn on when using a tripod?

Dec 09, 2017 at 03:11 PM
wenkanzhu
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Steady Shot on/off

When I forgot to turn off VR on my nikon 70-200 in shooting fireworks...

http://www.wenkanphoto.com/img/s/v-2/p1360944230.jpg

Dec 09, 2017 at 03:23 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Steady Shot on/off

I had the IBIS on in my camera since it became available in the A7 II, A7r II and A9 for landscape (long exposure and even with Smooth Reflection App), and for bird photography with long lenses (up to 1600mm) without seeing any ill effect. Yes, on a tripod.

Dec 09, 2017 at 03:48 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Steady Shot on/off

I tested this a long time ago and never scene any I’ll effects.

Dec 09, 2017 at 04:04 PM
elimoss
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Steady Shot on/off

I've never seen a problem with IBIS on a tripod.

Lens stabilizers I do believe are better to turn off, as that fireworks shot demonstrates

Dec 09, 2017 at 05:00 PM
chiron
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Steady Shot on/off

Seems like it is likely to depend on the particular engineering of the stabilization mechanism.

Some of the lenses that Joshua (AJGeo) references above must have had in-lens stabilization in addition to IBIS, but he wasn't seeing any effect. On the other hand, the fireworks shot with the Nikon lens shows a lot of effect.

Dec 09, 2017 at 05:21 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Steady Shot on/off

Really different tech they are using. Canon you had to turn it off. I have yet to see a problem with Sony.

Dec 09, 2017 at 07:30 PM
kohann

p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Steady Shot on/off

I have seen a problem with manual lenses with adapter and if I have chosen wrong focal length in settings.

Dec 09, 2017 at 08:27 PM
moosehead222
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Steady Shot on/off

ok, Thanks I appreciate it. I may test with the Batis 135 since it has a stabilizer built in. Thanks for the replies, all mine were with the L21 and stationary landscape subjects.

Dec 09, 2017 at 08:33 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Steady Shot on/off

I like this answer by @Matt Grum:

https://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1415615/0&year=2016#13435999

Dec 11, 2017 at 07:41 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Steady Shot on/off

I love Matt but that’s more a opinion than a factually answer. I like to know what Sony says when the camera is at rest like on tripod. It it senses no motion what does it actually do. I have yet to hear that answer

Dec 11, 2017 at 07:47 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Steady Shot on/off

GMPhotography wrote:
I love Matt but that’s more a opinion than a factually answer. I like to know what Sony says when the camera is at rest like on tripod. It it senses no motion what does it actually do. I have yet to hear that answer

I was referring to what he wrote about IBIS and potential corner degradation with wide angles. I've seen in some of my tests when leaving IBIS 'on' by mistake.

Guy, there is always some info from your favorite writer.
https://diglloyd.com/blog/2017/20170721_2200-Sony12_24f4G-IBIS-damage.html

Dec 11, 2017 at 07:52 PM
Matt Grum
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Steady Shot on/off

GMPhotography wrote:
I love Matt

awww

GMPhotography wrote:
but that’s more a opinion than a factually answer. I like to know what Sony says when the camera is at rest like on tripod. It it senses no motion what does it actually do. I have yet to hear that answer

It is a fact that with a stable tripod IBIS can only make your images worse, not better. It is an opinion whether the risk outweighs the effort of turning IBIS off and back on again. I never stated this as a fact in my original post, I merely mentioned my own policy.

Shooting handheld + IBIS being inferior to a stable tripod is also a fact, though that's different to the decision about whether to enable IBIS when using a tripod.

Dec 12, 2017 at 05:27 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Steady Shot on/off

I meant more your own policy which I don’t disagree with. I have not seen a issue myself though. But I’d love to know what the IBIS really does as far as movement when at rest. Canon back in the day still moved. Curious if Sony and others are similar or different

Dec 12, 2017 at 05:33 AM
genji
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Steady Shot on/off

An entirely different issue/question is: does having IBIS turned on at higher shutter speeds (say > 1/250) degrade image quality?

Dec 12, 2017 at 06:24 AM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Steady Shot on/off

GMPhotography wrote:
I meant more your own policy which I don’t disagree with. I have not seen a issue myself though. But I’d love to know what the IBIS really does as far as movement when at rest. Canon back in the day still moved. Curious if Sony and others are similar or different

Lloyd Chambers did some IBIS on a tripod tests and concluded the likelihood of noticeably worse results was worth turning it off. I think it may have been with characteristic over statement been headlined “IBIS destroys sharpness on trIpod” but the results were convincing enough.

Dec 12, 2017 at 06:55 AM
DavidBM
• • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Steady Shot on/off

genji wrote:
An entirely different issue/question is: does having IBIS turned on at higher shutter speeds (say > 1/250) degrade image quality?

Hard to believe, though I occasionally think I should do some tests.
But here’s the thought: nothing about the sensor movement will be changed by the higher shutter speed. If you are hand holding, then it’ll behave the same way as if the ss was 1/20 or whatever. And if the sensor movement is such that you get a platform in which that 1/20 exposure is even moderately sharp, then surely 1/1250 must stop any movement...

But I know, a priori reasoning doesn’t always work in this domain.

Dec 12, 2017 at 06:59 AM
Parariss
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Steady Shot on/off

DavidBM wrote:
Hard to believe, though I occasionally think I should do some tests.
But here’s the thought: nothing about the sensor movement will be changed by the higher shutter speed. If you are hand holding, then it’ll behave the same way as if the ss was 1/20 or whatever. And if the sensor movement is such that you get a platform in which that 1/20 exposure is even moderately sharp, then surely 1/1250 must stop any movement...

But I know, a priori reasoning doesn’t always work in this domain.

I'd add, for completeness, that most people seem to shoot using Electronic First Curtain Shutter set to On (no real downside, and it reduces shutter vibration and wear and tear). EFCS sometimes has problems with shutter speeds faster than 1/1000, especially with bright lenses, so turning off IBIS for high shutter speeds may not matter, but turning off EFCS might. (I wish there was an automatic setting for this, but as it is adjusting this is part of my shot routine.) I'm curious whether this axiom will still hold true for the a7riii.

Dec 12, 2017 at 09:10 AM
Matt Grum
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Steady Shot on/off

elimoss wrote:
Lens stabilizers I do believe are better to turn off, as that fireworks shot demonstrates

It doesn't matter if it is lens based or in-body, all control systems have the ability to get into a feedback loop, which is what causes the problems with tripod use. What matters is whether the manufacturer has implemented a system to prevent this, and how effective that system is.

I'm happy to accept that Sony has an effective system for detecting tripod use, but as it only takes two seconds I'll probably continue to turn it off just in case.

Dec 12, 2017 at 10:52 AM
Gary Clennan
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Steady Shot on/off

I don't know what to believe so I always turn it off if shooting on a tripod.

Dec 12, 2017 at 11:04 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.