New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

A7rIII Remote Focus

speterson

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A7rIII Remote Focus

Recently received my A7rIII and have been busy customizing its setup. One of the functions I enjoyed on my A7rII was the remote app which allowed me to operate the camera on my Android tablet. (I used this predominately in doing focus stacking.) Now with the A7rIII being without the PlayMemories apps I can no longer focus remotely on my Nexus 7 tablet. I can connect the tablet to my camera and control basic features such as ISO, shutter speed, aperture, etc. - but not focus. Is there any solution to this and/or does anyone know how to remotely control focus on the A7rIII using a tablet or phone?

Dec 07, 2017 at 09:24 PM
DavidBM
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A7rIII Remote Focus

Nope. Itís the only downside Iíve found to the R3
Various third part add ons might do it.
Arsenal, even it comes out, will do it via a hot shoe mounted transmitter (and much more like auto focus stacking)

Dec 07, 2017 at 09:43 PM
speterson

p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A7rIII Remote Focus

Thanks for your confirmation as to my (our) problem. I have already ordered the Arsenal unit during their Kickstarter campaign, so right now I will wait upon that. One of the problems with Arsenal is that initially it will only work with phones. In contacting the developer he said that it will be not until mid-2018 when tablets and iPads will be supported.

Dec 07, 2017 at 09:49 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A7rIII Remote Focus

How are you planning of connecting that Arsenal device to your A7r III? Did you order that with a micro USB connector? As you know the A7r III has, for the very first time in a Sony camera, a USB-C port?

Dec 07, 2017 at 09:56 PM
speterson

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A7rIII Remote Focus

Thanks for reminding me about that. I initially ordered the Arsenal with the micro USB connector for use with my A7rII. (This was prior to the introduction of the A7rIII.) I will need to contact the developer and advise him of my camera upgrade.

Dec 07, 2017 at 10:10 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A7rIII Remote Focus

DavidBM wrote:
Nope. Itís the only downside Iíve found to the R3
Various third part add ons might do it.
Arsenal, even it comes out, will do it via a hot shoe mounted transmitter (and much more like auto focus stacking)

That's my main negative. Removing PlayMemories apps...fine. But at least add an intervalometer and image averaging in camera. Also allow shooters to 'focus' when using the built-in "Ctrl w/ Smartphone" option.
It's a bad move for Sony to remove functionality from our workflows without replacing it with something else. (And staying quiet about it)

Dec 07, 2017 at 10:14 PM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A7rIII Remote Focus

AGeoJO wrote:
How are you planning of connecting that Arsenal device to your A7r III? Did you order that with a micro USB connector? As you know the A7r III has, for the very first time in a Sony camera, a USB-C port?

I don't know if they offer a USB-C connector yet. I ordered "Sony" which is likely micro USB because the r3 wasn't out. Good point though: worth contacting them....

EDIT: definitely no USB-C option yet. I've contacted them.
The more of us who do the better.

Edited on Dec 07, 2017 at 11:21 PM · View previous versions

Dec 07, 2017 at 11:15 PM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A7rIII Remote Focus

They are adapters available but that may add the possibility of getting loose connection. In addition, an adapter may also provide a weak link/area to exposure to the elements. As we all know, we are not only taking pictures in sunny, dry weather conditions, and for sure, not only indoors.

Dec 07, 2017 at 11:20 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A7rIII Remote Focus

AGeoJO wrote:
They are adapters available but that may add the possibility of getting loose connection. In addition, an adapter may also provide a weak link/area to exposure to the elements. As we all know, we are not only taking pictures in sunny, dry weather conditions, and for sure, not only indoors.

Great point Joshua. Trying using an external intervalometer when it's snowing is alway worrisome.

Dec 07, 2017 at 11:29 PM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · A7rIII Remote Focus

Fred Miranda wrote:
Great point Joshua. Trying using an external intervalometer when it's snowing is alway worrisome.

What is this thing you guys call "snow"?
(actually we do have snow, but it's in mountains 10 hours from any major city, and four hours from anywhere that's not a ski resort)

Dec 08, 2017 at 12:10 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · A7rIII Remote Focus

DavidBM wrote:
What is this thing you guys call "snow"?
(actually we do have snow, but it's in mountains 10 hours from any major city, and four hours from anywhere that's not a ski resort)

@AGeoJO Arsenal say "If and when the A7rIII receives support, it will use micro USB"

Dec 08, 2017 at 02:22 AM
AGeoJO
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · A7rIII Remote Focus

DavidBM wrote:
@AGeoJO@ Arsenal say "If and when the A7rIII receives support, it will use micro USB"

Meaning, you have to send that in and get it modified or if something breakdown and you send it in for repair, they will replace the micro USB connector with a USB-C one? Could you clarify that, David? Thanks!

Dec 08, 2017 at 02:27 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · A7rIII Remote Focus

AGeoJO wrote:
Meaning, you have to send that in and get it modified or if something breakdown and you send it in for repair, they will replace the micro USB connector with a USB-C one? Could you clarify that, David? Thanks!

Meaning they don't yet officially support A7r3 at all (though I think @Fred Miranda or someone else confirmed with them that likely it'll work as it's similar enough to A9) but that when they do officially support it, it will be via micro USB. So no USB-C support for the foreseeable future.

Dec 08, 2017 at 02:43 AM
speterson

p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · A7rIII Remote Focus

I got this note from Kristen at Arsenal yesterday:

We are trying to get a hold of the A7Riii so we can test it. That said, Sony doesn't usually change their USB tethering API between camera versions, so I would say there's a 95% chance it will work with the A7Riii. If you want, you can add your email here: https://confirmsubscription.com/h/d/F852CB82DB1A4B81 and we will send out an e-mail when we officially announce A7Riii support.

Those in line for this unit might help the process by signing up on their website as being concerned about A7r3 connections. The more they receive, the more seriously they will take the situation.

Dec 08, 2017 at 02:04 PM
Parariss
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · A7rIII Remote Focus

I can't think of any reason why the focus function couldn't also work on the a7riii. Maybe a bug fix for the app will address this.

Dec 08, 2017 at 03:08 PM
stevesanacore
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · A7rIII Remote Focus

Timelapse is a very important and useful feature. Why would they remove that? Forcing people to use an external intervalometer is a big negative for this camera. Hopefully Sony will have a response to this. It will force me to keep my A7R2 just for time-lapse and not buy another R3 instead.

Dec 08, 2017 at 03:22 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password