FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3       4      
       end

The superteles from 1999: Now abandoned by CPS

USM IS
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.5 #1 · p.5 #1 · The superteles from 1999: Now abandoned by CPS

So for us poor owners of Ver 1, can you list any reliable third party repair centers. PLEASE

Mike

Dec 13, 2017 at 08:58 PM
Andrew J
• • • •
p.5 #2 · p.5 #2 · The superteles from 1999: Now abandoned by CPS

https://www.facebook.com/pages/T-F-Camera-Repair/122693011122264

Dec 13, 2017 at 09:25 PM
Colin F
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.5 #3 · p.5 #3 · The superteles from 1999: Now abandoned by CPS

Two-part question: When did the 500 f/4 II first come out, and how many more years from now until it is unsupported?

Dec 15, 2017 at 01:57 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.5 #4 · p.5 #4 · The superteles from 1999: Now abandoned by CPS

Support typically continues until 5-7 years after its successor is on the market. You can find release dates at the Canon Museum, here is the super-tele section of the "Lens Hall". Here it says 2012, though the actual page for the lens states it was 'marketed' in 2011. I believe it didn't actually ship until around 2012. Many of the v2 lenses were delayed quite a while after announcement, I believe due to the earthquake.

Dec 15, 2017 at 05:20 AM
Colin F
• • •
p.5 #5 · p.5 #5 · The superteles from 1999: Now abandoned by CPS

Thanks. And I don't suppose there's any rumours of a v III?

Dec 15, 2017 at 05:23 AM
Tom Dix
• • •
p.5 #6 · p.5 #6 · The superteles from 1999: Now abandoned by CPS

With Sony nipping at their heels, Canon needs a competitive advantage & repairing V1 IS lenses would be a great start.

Dec 15, 2017 at 05:27 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

rscheffler
• • • • •
p.5 #7 · p.5 #7 · The superteles from 1999: Now abandoned by CPS

It will be interesting to see how much Sony's 400/2.8 will cost. An advantage Canikon have is their huge secondary equipment market. They don't necessarily directly benefit from it financially, unless those unloading old gear remain within their system, which is no longer as certain as perhaps in the past. Maintaining service support for older equipment would certainly keep people using the gear and within the brand's ecosystem. I suppose it's a complicated calculation for a company like Canon to make. How much actual monetary cost is involved in such support, which doesn't necessarily result in direct sales (though someone investing in a used super tele is probably relatively likely to buy some new gear for that system)? Does dropping support encourage upgrading to current model equipment as brand-new purchases? How much goodwill is lost by dropping support and how likely is it to result in a brand switch when it comes time for a given photographer to refresh his/her system?

I still think Canon has a lot of advantages over Sony, but Sony is certainly chipping away. Both in respect to equipment performance and service/support.

Dec 15, 2017 at 04:52 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.5 #8 · p.5 #8 · The superteles from 1999: Now abandoned by CPS

Colin F wrote:
Thanks. And I don't suppose there's any rumours of a v III?

Rumors of new equipment? Not sure, haven't really been following the gossip.

If you're trying to get an idea of when replacements will come, it has typically been around a 10 year cycle. If that holds true, then you're probably looking at another 4-5 years for the current models, with support extending another 5-7 years. So if you buy now, you'll be good for at least a decade. It could change a bit if Sony is effective at competing in this niche. Then you might see some of these lenses released as DO designs, or with built-in 1.4x TC. But also keep in mind this is a very niche market. While Sony seems adamant about breaking into it with the a9 and announcement of 400/2.8 development, how many more super-tele lenses will they release to truly compete against Canikon? And how long will it take (though they have been moving pretty quickly)?

The bigger question in my mind is when will Canon release a 1DX equivalent mirrorless and how will it play with existing lenses? Mirrorless will likely spur development of revised lenses to take advantage of the new technology and could break the trends of the existing timeline.

Dec 15, 2017 at 04:54 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • •
p.5 #9 · p.5 #9 · The superteles from 1999: Now abandoned by CPS

We all expect a 600 DO at some point but if that happens we don't know if 600II will be produced along side it or discontinued?? I'd say it will be produced beside it for at least some time if the DO ever happens. I still find it strange Canon showed the 600 DO at all. We don't know if plans have changed.

What I don't see is a straight up Mark III replacement line. I think they either have to be DO and/or built in TCs to entice people to spend more.

Dec 15, 2017 at 07:08 PM
mogud
• • • •
p.5 #10 · p.5 #10 · The superteles from 1999: Now abandoned by CPS

Colin F wrote:
Two-part question: When did the 500 f/4 II first come out, and how many more years from now until it is unsupported?

From speaking with CPS when the ver II's were released, support will continue for 7-10 years after the new versions are available for sale.

Dec 15, 2017 at 08:37 PM
Keelcam

p.5 #11 · p.5 #11 · The superteles from 1999: Now abandoned by CPS

Called Canon CPS today & was told the 600 f4 IS is now out of service (in USA). It still shows itís in service on their website, but the rep (after checking to be sure) said it is not.

Jan 11, 2018 at 02:06 AM
       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password