FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3       4       5       end

The superteles from 1999: Now abandoned by CPS

Eyvind Ness
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The superteles from 1999: Now abandoned by CPS

See https://www.canon-europe.com/pro/news/canon-professional-services-updates/

"The following lenses and camcorders have now reached this point, and will no longer count towards your CPS membership:

EF15mm f/2.8 Fish Eye
EF300mm f/2.8L IS USM
EF400mm f/2.8L IS USM
EF500mm f/4.0L IS USM
EF600mm f/4.0L IS USM
XL H1A
XL H1S
Even though these products will remain in your profile, it won’t be possible for CPS to service or repair them from now on."

Dec 07, 2017 at 08:13 PM
jcolwell
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The superteles from 1999: Now abandoned by CPS

Dec 07, 2017 at 08:15 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The superteles from 1999: Now abandoned by CPS

Historically, when CPS drops support of lenses like this, do used prices also drop?

Dec 07, 2017 at 09:41 PM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The superteles from 1999: Now abandoned by CPS

Pathetic, imagine taking a car into the dealer and they tell you get lost they won't repair it anymore just because it's old. I can take a 50 year old car to my dealer and he'll still do repairs. Abandoning megabuck lenses like this is simply lousy effort from Canon.

Dec 07, 2017 at 10:22 PM
R.H. Johnson
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The superteles from 1999: Now abandoned by CPS

now then think of it this way. lots of of you can now post in the obsolete equipment thread.

Dec 07, 2017 at 10:48 PM
ted1000
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · The superteles from 1999: Now abandoned by CPS

If you are a CPS member will they still perform clean and checks of these lenses? I assume they will.

Ted

Dec 08, 2017 at 12:10 AM
riokid
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · The superteles from 1999: Now abandoned by CPS

ted1000 wrote:
If you are a CPS member will they still perform clean and checks of these lenses? I assume they will.

Ted

NO!
They will not even touch a 1D III, even just for a simple shutter count for the fear of it "suddenly" breaking

Dec 08, 2017 at 12:23 AM
OSOFAST
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · The superteles from 1999: Now abandoned by CPS

I just checked my CPS. The Gold level still shows these lenses as being serviceable?
Jeff

Dec 08, 2017 at 12:51 AM
riokid
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · The superteles from 1999: Now abandoned by CPS

OSOFAST wrote:
I just checked my CPS. The Gold level still shows these lenses as being serviceable?
Jeff

I think the annoucement was for Europe.

If they have not announced it here in the United States, hurry up and get your "aging" equipment to CPS for service

Dec 08, 2017 at 12:56 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · The superteles from 1999: Now abandoned by CPS

riokid wrote:
NO!
They will not even touch a 1D III, even just for a simple shutter count for the fear of it "suddenly" breaking

True. I suppose Canon's thinking is that any work on obsolete gears , be it just cosmetic at the outset, can turn into their liability that they could not remedy in the absence of spare parts. In theory, as an example, their technician may drop the lens accidentally while cleaning it, thereby causing a problem they can not resolve easily short of giving the customer a replacement new generation piece of equipment or some such compensation.

Be that as it may, by relegating several expensive and high professional grade lenses (1999 gen.) to the "orphanage", Canon Inc. continues to show their usual corporate arrogance.

Dec 08, 2017 at 01:16 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

danski0224
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · The superteles from 1999: Now abandoned by CPS

PetKal wrote:
Be that as it may, by relegating several expensive and high professional grade lenses (1999 gen.) to the "orphanage", Canon Inc. continues to show their usual corporate arrogance.

......and people keep buying Canon stuff....

Dec 08, 2017 at 01:37 AM
danski0224
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · The superteles from 1999: Now abandoned by CPS

lighthound wrote:
Historically, when CPS drops support of lenses like this, do used prices also drop?

Probably.

I recall someone stating that prices for the 300 2.8 IS (VI) have fallen.

Dec 08, 2017 at 01:39 AM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · The superteles from 1999: Now abandoned by CPS

My 400 2.8 L IS is still as sharp and fast focusing as ever, eating TCs for breakfast as usual. But at 13 lbs plus the mandatory tripod, it rarely gets to be invited to the "breakfast table" (aka birding grounds). The 400 DO II is so much easier to wield.

With light use of my 400 2.8, I reckon I can still wring at least a decade more life out of it even sans CPS support. Unless fungus downs the behemoth earlier. In which case, I'd build me a great magnifying glass out of the huge front element, and a storage cylinder out of the lens body.

Dec 08, 2017 at 01:47 AM
PetKal
• • • • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · The superteles from 1999: Now abandoned by CPS

danski0224 wrote:

They do for technical reasons: huge selection of EOS system components and top quality professional lenses.

(For one, I am done with Canon. I've just let my CPS membership lapse too.)

Dec 08, 2017 at 01:52 AM
Paul Mo
• • • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · The superteles from 1999: Now abandoned by CPS

danski0224 wrote:

But at this general level - these lenses, the 300 to 600 - you'd be buying them as professional tools. So they would have more than paid for themselves.

If not, then count yourself lucky to be able to afford them to support your hobby.

Dec 08, 2017 at 01:55 AM
qc_mountain
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · The superteles from 1999: Now abandoned by CPS

Weren't those the best of Canon that people paid a high price for them ?
and now a few year later are doomed as obsolete novelty's.

Lucky for us Canon stand behind their products.

Francois

Dec 08, 2017 at 01:58 AM
tsangc
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · The superteles from 1999: Now abandoned by CPS

Paul Mo wrote:
If not, then count yourself lucky to be able to afford them to support your hobby.

That's kind of how I look at it. I bought a 300mm v1 two years ago...it was lot of money for me.

I figure with the fairly gentle use it'll get with me versus professional use by some sports or agency shooter, it should last quite a bit longer. I'm going to assume there are enough IS and USM modules out there if those items need servicing.

The other side of this is that 500mm f4L IS v1's are now dropping in price too!

Dec 08, 2017 at 02:14 AM
ted1000
• •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · The superteles from 1999: Now abandoned by CPS

I just contacted CPS (USA). Their "system indicates that this model lens (600 f4 IS) is still in service life. Even after the lens goes out of service life and can no longer be repaired, the 11-point EF lens Maintenance Service (CMS) can still be performed."

Ted

Dec 08, 2017 at 03:12 AM
Milan Hutera
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · The superteles from 1999: Now abandoned by CPS

Yes, the message of Job was delivered two days ago via CPS newsletter.

Paul Mo wrote:
But at this general level - these lenses, the 300 to 600 - you'd be buying them as professional tools. So they would have more than paid for themselves.

I bought the 300 L IS v1 in 2015 for basically full price it retailed back in its day, thanks to Canon's pricing policy on v2 supertelephotos (50% more expensive). As a part time freelance photographer, do you think I made 6000 EUR in those two years just to buy the new one and then spend months trying to sell the old one? A couple of weeks ago I listed my 16-35II in pristine condition for less than half of its retail price. No interest so far. Now imagine I'd list the 3000 EUR lens....

On the other hand, last year when I went to ATP 500 tournament in Vienna, I've probably only seen one v2 supertelephoto lens + one 200-400 L IS, versus a great deal of pre-IS, long abandoned 300's and a couple of 400's of the same generation. This either means that the lenses do stand the test of time and vigors of professional use long after Canon abandoned them OR the Austrian photographers have a serious gambling problem.

Edited on Dec 08, 2017 at 09:06 AM · View previous versions

Dec 08, 2017 at 08:01 AM
Mikehit
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · The superteles from 1999: Now abandoned by CPS

PetKal wrote:

So do Nikon support older gear in perpetuity?

Dec 08, 2017 at 08:29 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password