Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Closest lens to the Nikon 58 1.4G?

m43ari

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Closest lens to the Nikon 58 1.4G?

For those familiar with Nikon lenses, what would be the closest FE mount lens in overall IQ, bokeh, etc to the Nikon 58 1.4? I switched over from a Nikon Df/58 mm combo and want to try to recreate the magic with my A9. Maybe it's just a placebo effect but I really liked the images I was getting with that combo. I could use an adapter but want to avoid that if I can.

Dec 07, 2017 at 03:13 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Closest lens to the Nikon 58 1.4G?

m43ari wrote:
For those familiar with Nikon lenses, what would be the closest FE mount lens in overall IQ, bokeh, etc to the Nikon 58 1.4? I switched over from a Nikon Df/58 mm combo and want to try to recreate the magic with my A9. Maybe it's just a placebo effect but I really liked the images I was getting with that combo. I could use an adapter but want to avoid that if I can.

The closest you can get to the Nikon 58/1.4 is the (Zony) FE 50/1.4 ZA. The latter is better corrected for LoCA, which could be a plus for you.

Dec 07, 2017 at 03:30 PM
lightskyland
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Closest lens to the Nikon 58 1.4G?

You might also try the Sony Zeiss 55/1.8. A lot of people like the look of that lens for portraits, and it's a lot smaller and lighter than the 50/1.4. Try them both and keep the one you like better.

Dec 07, 2017 at 03:33 PM
jwpstl
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Closest lens to the Nikon 58 1.4G?

m43ari wrote:

I couldn't find an FE lens I liked as much as the 58 1.4 so I kept it and bought the Commlite adapter. The slower focusing isn't an issue for me; it works well enough.

Dec 07, 2017 at 05:51 PM
jonrock
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Closest lens to the Nikon 58 1.4G?

The closest native lens is probably the Sony Zeiss 50mm f1.4. The rendering is quite nice and it's a lot sharper than the Nikon 58 f1.4 especially wide open. It's huge though compared to that lens.

Dec 07, 2017 at 07:10 PM
cxq317
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Closest lens to the Nikon 58 1.4G?

This is exactly the question l have now. I would like to try sony system with more manual focus lens options. But l just like the images from 58g/DF so much that l’m almost certain l will regret, if l replace it with a sony system.

Dec 07, 2017 at 08:25 PM
m43ari

p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Closest lens to the Nikon 58 1.4G?

cxq317 wrote:
This is exactly the question l have now. I would like to try sony system with more manual focus lens options. But l just like the images from 58g/DF so much that l’m almost certain l will regret, if l replace it with a sony system.

The Df/58 combination took some great pictures when the stars aligned, but many of the images of my moving children were soft and many opportunities were lost. As good as that combo could be, I overall prefer the insanely high hit rate of the A9 and its eye AF.

Dec 07, 2017 at 09:39 PM
cxq317
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Closest lens to the Nikon 58 1.4G?

Yes, l agree about the focus tracking with this combo. Somehow l feel the lens is the problem becuase with 70200f4, the df tracking is much better for my use.

A little off topic, applogy to the OP. :-)
m43ari wrote:
The Df/58 combination took some great pictures when the stars aligned, but many of the images of my moving children were soft and many opportunities were lost. As good as that combo could be, I overall prefer the insanely high hit rate of the A9 and its eye AF.

Dec 07, 2017 at 09:52 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Closest lens to the Nikon 58 1.4G?

How is manual focus with the 58G? Is there an adapter that controls aperture alone (G)? This type of character lens is just what is needed in the Sony system, and 58mm is near perfect for so many portraits.

Dec 07, 2017 at 10:30 PM
trogdon
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Closest lens to the Nikon 58 1.4G?

Though it's not native Sony mount, Pentax has a 55mm f1.4 lens that was created for digital APS-C, but covers full frame. I've heard it has similar qualities to the 58G, but is quite a bit cheaper. Will have all of the same drawbacks as the 58G would on a Sony (except there are no AF adapters at all), but I thought I'd mention it as it's a neat lens from what I've seen

Dec 07, 2017 at 11:11 PM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Closest lens to the Nikon 58 1.4G?

Thus far, several reviews report a pretty good focus ring on the 58G. Manual focus moves the front element so you may not have to contend with the old loose nut on a bolt syndrome. The MF adapters range from $60 to $140 and feature an aperture 'ring' that appears to mimic real aperture control.

The lens is controversial out there in the non-FM world, hardly a surprise; and many buy it for the wrong reasons. It looks bad on paper and in tests, but well-crafted images tell the real story of pictorial elegance.

Dec 08, 2017 at 01:11 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Closest lens to the Nikon 58 1.4G?

philip_pj wrote:
The lens is controversial out there in the non-FM world, hardly a surprise; and many buy it for the wrong reasons. It looks bad on paper and in tests, but well-crafted images tell the real story of pictorial elegance.

Maybe lenses like this will shine on a mirrorless where focus is done on the sensor plane and AF should provide a higher hit rate, especially wide open and off center.

I would try and loan/rent an adapter if possible, even though I know Nikons are less than stellar. Didn’t Commlite just release a new version?

Dec 08, 2017 at 01:39 AM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Closest lens to the Nikon 58 1.4G?

Exactly my thinking, Stoffer. I've become a bit of a whiz at the old MF magnify and shoot caper, even if I do say so myself. So if the focus ring works good it's a potential goer with a cheap adapter. I hate all the AF business, firmware etc. Not my go.

Now, for anyone who wants to know about this lens, see any of Charles work at the dedicated lens image thread over at the N forum. And I found a great review from a guy who actually knows something - rare outside these walls, lol. He says this about the focus ring:

'The focus ring feels really nice and smooth. Not anything close to the incredible focus ring of Nikon’s Noct-Nikkor 58 1.2 from the 70′s, but it’s still fantastic.'

http://www.samhurdphotography.com/reviews/nikon-58mm-1-4-review-in-depth-lens-review/

There is a great expose of skin color between the top Japanese 50s, verifies what I already thought of Canon and Sigma color. The 58G would go very well on the Sony sensors I feel. [Yes, there are many adapters for the Nikons, and the later ones are good for AF.]

PS sorry to hijack this thread somewhat.

Dec 08, 2017 at 01:59 AM
johnctharp
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Closest lens to the Nikon 58 1.4G?

m43ari wrote:

I'll never understand why Nikon put such a poor focus system in the Df; sensor out of the D4, great!

AF system out of a... yeah.

The system used in the D5/D500/D850, along with Nikon's metering sensor-based tracking, would go great in a Df2. And is said to be respectable in the EyeAF department. Not Sony EyeAF great, but balanced in other ways.

Dec 08, 2017 at 03:42 AM
dbehrens
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Closest lens to the Nikon 58 1.4G?

Since shooting MF on Sonys is so easy I would think the closest glass (maybe even better than the Nikon) would be the adapted Voigtlander 58mm f/1.4 SLIIS AIS.

Dec 08, 2017 at 11:25 AM
philip_pj
• • • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Closest lens to the Nikon 58 1.4G?

The CV is a very different creature, unfortunately. Not in the same ballpark. One thing that we are seeing is more specialized lenses these days, and the 58G has this ability to sway experienced people after they get to working with the lens. It gets people on its wavelength, which is purely: portraiture.

I see it as a complement to the Sonnars at 85mm and 100mm. I want that particular look (settled and elegant, yet stylish and showy) at the shorter focal length. The FE55 is very good but more documentary in style, the GM's are more commercial in nature. I'll look into the 58G some more, it would also make a great intimate street walk around lens. Being fussy is very good for your bank balance.

Dec 08, 2017 at 08:49 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.