FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

Off-camera flash and weddings?

hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Off-camera flash and weddings?

amonline wrote:
hardlyboring wrote:
That's how it's done.

haha thanks man. Honestly I learned everything I know from others here who do it much better. I can do a decent job during the reception but there are plenty of other people who are doing some amazing stuff other parts of the day or with portraits etc. using grids, gels, and other stuff.
I tried some portraits yesterday during an elopement with an AB 1600 and a buff octobox gridded and it was ok but beyond looking nice I didn't feel like it was all that creative or added much.

We also "faked" first dances at the elopement we covered yesterday. It was super weird. Photos are fine but it was just odd. The couple was like "we might as well do some mother son/father daughter dancing shots while you're here".
I was like "um ok... this should be just great" haha

Dec 10, 2017 at 11:01 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Off-camera flash and weddings?

lol - I had fake first dances last weekend at an elopement I shot in Breck, Doug. What's going on in the air up there?

Dec 11, 2017 at 12:48 AM
InSanE
• •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Off-camera flash and weddings?

Fake first dance is my go to during sessions when couples are to stiff, and fake first look

Dec 11, 2017 at 07:05 AM
t4haughton
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Off-camera flash and weddings?

For receptions (especially the dancing) we want to make it feel like the party it was, and keep the mood. We can't do that by spraying light all over the room. Over time we (myself and my regular co-shooter, Justin Edmonds) have developed a system that works regardless of venue.

We use four Manfrotto 1004BAC stands. One for each corner. The key is getting the lights as close as possible. We put our stands ON the dance floor, not in the far corners. You want the light coming from as high as possible to avoid cross shadows. Because our stands are on the floor with drunk, dancing guests we use 25lb lead shot bags on each stand.

On each stand we use a dual flash bracket so that each photographer (myself and the second photographer) can each put a flash on each stand. That means we have 8 total flashes. One per person in each corner.

Flashes are set between 1/128 and 1/32, which generally gives an exposure of 100 to 400 ISO at f/2 and 1/200. Flash power is determined by the rooms ambient light and size of the dance floor (distance to subject from flashes). Darker ambient and/or smaller dance floors get less power.

We use 65 degree grids from saxonpc.com on all the flashes. This controls the light from spilling and is critical in rooms where the floor or walls are lighter colored. Wood floors and brick/timber walls and ceilings yield the best results. The flashes are zoomed to 80mm or tighter (sometimes 200mm) for first dances. We literally put a green spike tape x on the center and tell the couple to hit their mark.

For general dancing well zoom them to ~50mm for a little more coverage. During open dancing were constantly turning the light stands if the best action isnt toward the center of the floor.

Dec 11, 2017 at 07:11 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

mineymole
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Off-camera flash and weddings?

Lately ive been using a lot of only on camera flash, but I also do one or two off camera flashes, grided with one on camera. Usually with my off camera setup it is Godox. When Im using on camera only my nikon sb5000. Off camera lights are always in manual, gridded. On camera is usually bounced ttl.

Off camera, 2 flashes, 1 on camera bounced

Off camera grided, 1 flash, 1 on camera

2 off camera grided, 1 on camera

2 off camera grided, 1 on camera

1 off camera gridded, 1 on camera

On camera only

2 off camera

On camera only

Dec 11, 2017 at 01:21 PM
Smousefam5
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Off-camera flash and weddings?

This is a great thread!

Dec 21, 2017 at 06:27 PM
mb126
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Off-camera flash and weddings?

t4haughton wrote:
For receptions (especially the dancing) we want to make it feel like the party it was, and keep the mood. We can't do that by spraying light all over the room. Over time we (myself and my regular co-shooter, Justin Edmonds) have developed a system that works regardless of venue.

We use four Manfrotto 1004BAC stands. One for each corner. The key is getting the lights as close as possible. We put our stands ON the dance floor, not in the far corners. You want the light coming from as high as possible to avoid cross shadows. Because our stands are

Dec 21, 2017 at 07:23 PM
elkhornsun
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Off-camera flash and weddings?

It takes time to set up and time to take down lighting and so I only do it where it is absolutely necessary for the group photographs. For that I use Quantum Qflash with Quantum FreeXwire RF transmitter and receivers. It is 100% reliable and the entire kit fits in a Pelican case.

I do not worry about direct flash as I am only using it as fill lighting for people's eyes and not to illuminate them fully by flash. Flash also adds warmth in situations were there is bad artificial lighting.

Dec 26, 2017 at 10:06 PM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password