New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · RAW Conversion 2017

designdog
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · RAW Conversion 2017

As the year ends, I suppose many photographers, like me, are taking another look at their raw processing tools and workflow. Fairly normal at this time of year, as we begin cataloging, storing, and backing up the year’s shoots - but certainly mitigated this year with Adobe’s recent Lightroom strategy and the plethora of new and updated raw processing applications available. I admit to falling into this frenzy, in which confusion I find myself asking questions I thought I had answered years ago.

In my mind I would like to separate the process into four elements:

- cataloging/file management
- raw conversion
- pixel editing
- output.

For this posting let's concentrate on the middle two.

To me, raw conversion is the conversion of a camera’s raw file into a pixel based file, be it jpeg, tiff, or psd. We start with raw files because they grant us the greatest amount of flexibility and control in dealing with the image the camera has captured.

Now - here is where my head starts to hurt. Where does the line between a raw file and a pixel file form? Correspondingly, where is it best to do certain edits, such as tone, sharpening, curves, etc?

Three examples to illustrate my quandary:

1. Open an NEF (Nikon raw file) in Bridge to bring up ACR, and perform all the edits you can there, which I assume are edits on raw files. Open the image into Photoshop, and I assume you are now making edits on a pixel basis, not on a raw file.

2. In Lightroom make some edits on a Nikon raw file, then select transfer to DXO PhotoLab. In this case none of the Lightroom edits are preserved, and you are looking at a genuine raw file in DXO to edit again.

2. As above, except chose Edit Photo With in Lightroom, and select, say, Luminar. At this point you can save out to a tiff file, and be taken to Luminar to perform pixel edits.
While all of this is great, etc. it seems to me that the recent focus is on pixel based bells and whistles, and not the fundamental converting of camera raw files. In fact, I don’t see any significant improvements in this process for the past several years. With all of the advancements in sensor technology, etc. it seems that there is a disconnect here.

Am I wrong about this? Let me know then, what is the best pure raw processor available in 2017? Separate the pixel based tweeks and geegaws from the “art” of raw conversion. What software is out there that is going to make your Nikon (or whatever) raw file look the best, incorporating the basic tools that measurably improve a raw file - before moving on to pixel enhancements?

Note: I am posting this on several forums, to attempt to get the best response. I will post a summary in a few days - if waranted.

Dec 07, 2017 at 10:22 AM
gdsf2
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · RAW Conversion 2017

You are just going to get opinions. Here are mine.

Non Destructive Raw Processor: Capture One
Photo (Raster) Editor: Photoshop
Best Cheap alternative to Photoshop: Affinity Photo

Dec 07, 2017 at 11:00 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · RAW Conversion 2017

No easy answer to some of these questions i think:

Best RAW: Depends on the image - either LR or C1 usually. They render the images differently and i sometimes prefer one over the other. Pixel level quality seems pretty similar to me, though again for some images one might do a noticeably better job than the other. For high iso images with a lot of noise, DXO Optics beats them both by a mile, but i don't like its general rendering as much as the others.

Best Pixel editing: Everyone will say PS, but a lot of us rarely use it as the RAW converters are so good now.

Cataloging: Lightroom, no contest.

Dec 07, 2017 at 02:16 PM
bushwacker
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · RAW Conversion 2017

Catalog = LR

RAW adjustments = take note I said adjustments, you don’t edit raw. This is depending on what kind of adjustments you want. Try raw therapee.

Tiff, jpeg, etc. editing = PS

Output = what kind of output you want ..?

Dec 08, 2017 at 12:58 PM
Camperjim
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · RAW Conversion 2017

My file organization could not be simpler. I download and store by date. For each day file, I use additional names to describe the contents. As an example a full file name might be "08-01-2017 Yellowstone Tower - Lamar". This simple organization means I have no need for Lr or other software.

For raw conversion, I use the free Canon DPP4 software. The software options are not as great as for Lr, but it is easy to use, produces excellent results and offers some adjustments not available in Lr. I save these initial files in TIFF format.

For final output; i.e. printing, I use Qimage Ultimate. Qimage does all of the final adjustments needed for printing and it does so with templates that you build for your printer and paper choices. Once you set up the templates it is just simply foolproof. In 4 years of printing I have never had to reprint because of incorrect software settings.

For final processing I use an older version of Photoshop Elements. It is simple, easy to use and has almost every function of the full Photoshop versions.

Dec 10, 2017 at 01:58 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.