Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Nikon D7200 new with spots on sensor, do I clean?

tanglefoot47
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Nikon D7200 new with spots on sensor, do I clean?

I was kind of bummed when I see several spots while shooting into the sky. I know this is no big deal I can have Nikon clean it. But I really don't want to waste the time to send it in and the wait to get it back. Been thinking of doing it myself as I did this with a canon I use to own. Any recommendations for cleaning? What cleaning kit?

Thank you
Mike

Dec 06, 2017 at 05:36 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Nikon D7200 new with spots on sensor, do I clean?

I like Visible Dust products the best. They even have products that can remove biological substances (such as saliva). I have spoken with their head engineer as well and was impressed by the length at which he was willing to talk to me and educate me about the products. At one point I had a sensor that a professional clean did not work for, and one swipe/pass with Smear Away cleaned it flawlessly with no follow up needed. I was actually shocked to find they are based out of Canmore, a small mountain town about an hour outside where I live. B&H sells their kits too.

Use their CMOS Clean or Smear Away if you have oil to deal with, and follow up with Sensor Clean or regular Eclipse if needed. Most people use too much fluid, which is why they get streaks and need follow up passes.

If you can avoid sending it in, I would. The beating your camera will likely take during the shipping process and sorting facilities is not worth IMO.

https://www.visibledust.com/products.php#swab

Dec 06, 2017 at 05:45 PM
tanglefoot47
• • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Nikon D7200 new with spots on sensor, do I clean?

Thank you and I agree about getting beat up. I believe this is the product I used in my Canon camera.

Dec 06, 2017 at 06:15 PM
snapsy
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Nikon D7200 new with spots on sensor, do I clean?

VSGO swabs are the cheapest and the quality is excellent. I use them with the methanol-based Eclipse (not the newer non-methanol product). Here are links:

12-pack VSGO pads (Amazon) - $13.99
Eclipse cleaning fluid (Amazon) - $11.51

The link I found for the pads include a VSGO-branded cleaning solution but I heard it's not very good.

Dec 06, 2017 at 06:48 PM

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.