Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

How to detect and avoid Bridezillas, 2018 edition

mirrorrim
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · How to detect and avoid Bridezillas, 2018 edition

From what I've gleaned from my fellow wedding photographers in the area, I know I am an outlier when it comes to providing information prior to booking. It's how I set myself apart, because: 1) I hate and suck at blogging 2) I hate and suck at Instagram/Facebook 3) I don't want to be best friends with my clients 4) I'm an introvert and being social with clients is too much mental energy 4a) Same goes for maintaining vendor friendships (I am friendly with a ton, but I don't hang out with them outside of networking events like a lot of them do)

If I did any of the above 4 well I'm sure I wouldn't need to provide so much info to stand out. I know the tailor, baker, and florist are not going so in depth, but they are also not spending the majority of the wedding day with the clients. Their work is not affected by a poor timeline or self-conscious clients. And with the bar to entry so low for photographers, we can't get by with "good enough" anymore. People taking photos with the newest phones are doing "good enough." There is so much free education out there for newbies to go from crap to "good enough" very fast. It's not as easy for clients to see the difference between "good enough" and "awesome." So lots of information is how I'm trying to go above and beyond, because not a lot of people are doing it. Even answering their email within the first 2 hours is a shock to most of them (and is still probably true if I said first 24 hours).

But like I said, it doesn't sound like we are too different when it comes to setting up and doing the consult. My info-dump of a first email always finishes with asking for times to meet over coffee. And I do end the consult with discussing how to book. It's rare for me not to book immediately after a consult. Perhaps I'm just lucky because of the state I live in, which naturally attracts non-bridezillas.

Dec 09, 2017 at 07:57 PM
jmraso
• • • •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · How to detect and avoid Bridezillas, 2018 edition

When they see the sample album looking at me as they turn 2 or 3 spreads at a time !

Dec 11, 2017 at 03:22 PM
ricardovaste
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · How to detect and avoid Bridezillas, 2018 edition

Develop a process for qualifying your prospective clients. This is very basic business skills.

Dec 11, 2017 at 03:50 PM
level1photog
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · How to detect and avoid Bridezillas, 2018 edition

Usually I avoid people who are difficult to please, very controlling, or price haggling (depending on how they say it), or wasting my time without being decisive.

I asked my couples what is their expectation of a wedding photographer.
What they like about my portfolio.
What they don't like from other wedding photographers they have been to, etc to find more about them and hopefully I can determine we are a good fit.

Dec 11, 2017 at 10:27 PM
InSanE
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · How to detect and avoid Bridezillas, 2018 edition

I got a Bridezilla detector of ebay for like $10.
It eliminates my subjective input and is way more consistent.
The negative is some brides dislike its probe.

Dec 12, 2017 at 06:50 AM
       end

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password