New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Website image warning

leethecam
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Website image warning

I've built my own website with Wordpress and have finally improved the SEO so I pop up on lots of first pages in my area.

Part of that process was to re-encode my images and to give each one a meaningful file name that would be based on keywords that I'd like Google to see.

Part of my work is advertising, so I may have titled an image "advertising photography in Uxbridge by Lee Christiansen"

It seems that at least one of the popular (and free) advert blockers that you can download for Firefox decides to block images with the word advert or advertising in the file title. And this ad blocker is the first option offered when you go to the Firefox add-ons sction, so I'm guessing it will be quite popular. (unBlock Origin)

For some reason Safari also was blocking the same images, (I have it synced with Firefox so maybe that is why).

The second I removed the ad blocker, my images would re-appear. Funnily enough, those images would also be blanked out when I was looking at the media library in my Wordpress dashboard.

I don't have the ad blocker on some laptops, so have been blisfully unaware of this issue - thinking my site is working just fine. But when there is a problem, all the thumbnails don't display and when a viewer advances to the next image they may just get a blank screen.

So I changed the word "advert" or "advertising" to something else and all was fine.

It may be worth checking our websites to see if there are unknown issues. It took much headscratching to find out where the problem lay, and if I'd not seen it I would have had a badly functioning site (that may have hurt my SEO) for years...

There, that's my good deed for the month/year. Santa will have to give me something nice now...

Dec 06, 2017 at 03:24 AM
obscure

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Website image warning

Thanks for the heads up.

Dec 06, 2017 at 02:51 PM
c.d.embrey
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Website image warning

I made the mistake of installing the highly recommended AdBlock. Do Not Install!! They have a list of trusted advertisers who pay to be on the list, that get a free-pass. I now have advertising in my Gmail, and other places I never had ads before. Uninstalling AdBlock didn't remove the unwanted ads—time to do a macOS reinstall.

Dec 06, 2017 at 09:15 PM
jecottrell
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Website image warning

c.d.embrey wrote:
They have a list of trusted advertisers who pay to be on the list, that get a free-pass.

Do you have a source for this information?

c.d.embrey wrote:
I now have advertising in my Gmail, and other places I never had ads before. Uninstalling AdBlock didn't remove the unwanted ads—time to do a macOS reinstall.

Are you sure this is causation, not just correlation?

Dec 07, 2017 at 02:06 PM
c.d.embrey
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Website image warning

jecottrell wrote:
Are you sure this is causation, not just correlation?

From AdBlock support: I understand how frustrating it is to install an ad blocker and start seeing more ads. AdBlock is set to show unintrusive ads by default ...

From my POV all ads are intrusive! YMMV.

BTW I'm getting advertising from companies whose sites I've never visited or who's services I've never used. An example is Lyft. I always use OC Yellow cab, and do not have the Lyft app. Coincidental? I think not. But there is always the possibility that Google is the culprit and are piggybacking on AdBlock 8-)

Dec 07, 2017 at 02:40 PM
jecottrell
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Website image warning

c.d.embrey wrote:
AdBlock is set to show unintrusive ads by default ...

Why don't you select the checkbox to prevent showing those ads?

Dec 07, 2017 at 05:47 PM
c.d.embrey
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Website image warning

jecottrell wrote:
Why don't you select the checkbox to prevent showing those ads?

How can I check any boxes of a program that I uninstalled weeks ago BTW I did the whole customization thing, per AdBlock's instructions, and still got all of their unintrusive ads, YouTube ads that they promised to block, etc, etc. From my POV AdBlock is Malware that I bought and paid for. I say Malware because after uninstalling AdBlock all the advertising is still being displayed. I've hand uninstalled Malware before. I just need to spend a lot of time going through libraries, etc to find the bits & pieces. I plan to wipe the hard-drive soon—new Mac on the way, so why bother?

BTW jecottrell I wasn't asking for help, from you or anyone else. I thought that others may find my experience with AdBlock useful. How wrong I was.

Dec 08, 2017 at 04:16 AM
jecottrell
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Website image warning

c.d.embrey wrote:
How can I check any boxes of a program that I uninstalled weeks ago BTW I did the whole customization thing, per AdBlock's instructions, and still got all of their unintrusive ads, YouTube ads that they promised to block, etc, etc.

Can't be too difficult, I use AdBlock and I don't have any Youtube ads.

c.d.embrey wrote:
From my POV AdBlock is Malware that I bought and paid for.

Why did you pay for a free program?

c.d.embrey wrote:
I say Malware because after uninstalling AdBlock all the advertising is still being displayed.

If you've uninstalled it, why wouldn't the ads be displayed?

c.d.embrey wrote:
I plan to wipe the hard-drive soon—new Mac on the way, so why bother?

Maybe to have a perfectly functional computer without all the hassle?

c.d.embrey wrote:
BTW jecottrell I wasn't asking for help, from you or anyone else.

I'll try to remember not to help you in the future. I apologize for making the effort.

c.d.embrey wrote:
I thought that others may find my experience with AdBlock useful.

And... I thought others might find it useful that AdBlock (free) works pretty good when configured correctly.

Dec 08, 2017 at 08:20 AM
Herb
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Website image warning

FYI....Google changes the search criteria on some kind of regular basis, so to stay current with people finding your site you need to be active on keeping it current in a manner that catches the search net.

Dec 24, 2017 at 11:56 AM
mdude85
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Website image warning

c.d.embrey wrote:
I made the mistake of installing the highly recommended AdBlock. Do Not Install!! They have a list of trusted advertisers who pay to be on the list, that get a free-pass. I now have advertising in my Gmail, and other places I never had ads before. Uninstalling AdBlock didn't remove the unwanted ads—time to do a macOS reinstall.

The advertising in Gmail (the ads that look like legitimate emails) have nothing to do with Adblock. It's just a coincidence that they showed up when you had Adblock installed. Uninstalling will not remove them. Reinstalling macOS will certainly not remove them.

Dec 26, 2017 at 06:37 PM

FM Forums | Pro Digital Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.