FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

Gary Clennan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

Justin Stone wrote:
My cameras are never in the rain or by the ocean for this exact reason. Sony weathersealing is non existent and hat eye continue to disappoint on this front.

You should switch systems if you think Sony's design is preventing you from getting out in bad weather. The truth is the weather sealing is fine for most conditions if proper precautions are taken. The A7R was a bit iffy IMO (hot shoe), the A7RII was actually great, the A7RIII will likely be better. I have used all my Sony's in bad weather with ZERO issues. I don't think twice about it. However, this is the internet and weather sealing will always be a biased concern to some... Not an issue though.

Dec 06, 2017 at 02:46 PM
LBJ2
• •
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

LBJ2 wrote:
"Major buttons and dials are sealed. Sealing is provided throughout the body to minimize entry of dust and moisture29."

With no evidence of traditional gaskets/seals maybe it is something like hydrophobic coatings as depicted below.

https://www.sony.com/electronics/interchangeable-lens-cameras/ilce-7rm3/specifications

A bit more info coming out about the A7rIII weather sealing:

"If you open the new Sony up, you won’t find gaskets or air tight rubber seals on each individual button and screw like you might on a Pentax. Instead, Sony appears to have taken a subtler approach to protecting their latest full frame from the elements. A mix of some rubber, a tight fit, and rather large lips at the edge of each piece of the chassis seem to do the job when it comes to keeping the rain out of sensitive components."

https://www.sonyalpharumors.com/pat-nadolski-says-sony-a7r-iii-weather-sealing-much-better-predecessors/#more-65059

Dec 06, 2017 at 08:49 PM
nekrosoft13
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

Justin Stone wrote:
Here’s their reply re: gaskets and stuff:

From Kolari Vision

“There's actually no rubberized gaskets or anything like that. The edges where the camera comes together look standard. Any weatherproofing must be done with just very tight joints, and possibly hydrophobic coatings.”

Interesting no? Brings Roger Cicala’s article on the (lack of) weatherselaing in Sony bodies into sharp relief.

You don't need gaskets to weather seal.

Dec 06, 2017 at 09:10 PM
Justin Stone
• •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

Sure, but it’s a good way to do it. Look, without testing we’re throwing darts in the dark. That said the authors updated their info. Check it out. https://kolarivision.com/sony-a7r-iii-weather-sealing-examination/

nekrosoft13 wrote:
You don't need gaskets to weather seal.

Dec 06, 2017 at 10:06 PM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

'seem to do the job when it comes to keeping the rain out of sensitive components.'

Yet another reason to trust your fellow photographers most of all. People who actually do the business, rather than work in a lab, making ill-considered judgments by staring at components. There are almost 100,000 images in the FE image thread, it's very easy to identify the large number of them that were shot in tough conditions, including mist/rain and at the seaside. Check them out.

Dec 06, 2017 at 11:25 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

nekrosoft13
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

Justin Stone wrote:
Sure, but it’s a good way to do it. Look, without testing we’re throwing darts in the dark. That said the authors updated their info. Check it out. https://kolarivision.com/sony-a7r-iii-weather-sealing-examination/

And you think Sony didn't test it? Do you think Sony is run by morons?

Dec 07, 2017 at 12:57 AM
realVivek
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

We need not have to elevate the temperature. There are facts that support that they do rush products out before thorough testing.

Case in point: RX1R II EVF light leak and recall.

(The great thing about Sony related to that problem is their quick acknowledgement.)

nekrosoft13 wrote:
And you think Sony didn't test it? Do you think Sony is run by morons?

Dec 07, 2017 at 01:54 AM
chez
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

Every manufacturer has recalls...does this mean they all rush products out?

Dec 07, 2017 at 02:24 AM
realVivek
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · A Teardown of the New Sony a7R III

Not necessarily, I would think. For example, the very slow and methodical Leica folks were simply unaware of certain issues related to their sensors before they marketed their cameras.

(Recently, I got back my MM from Leica after a sensor replacement.)

chez wrote:
Every manufacturer has recalls...does this mean they all rush products out?

Dec 07, 2017 at 02:36 AM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password