New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Opinions Please - Mt Rundle, Banff

pliukait
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Opinions Please - Mt Rundle, Banff

Hi folks, I was in Calgary for a family emergency and decided to get away to Banff for a couple days. When we got there my wife had her own emergency and we spent a full day in the Banff Mineral Springs Hospital, an excellent facility as it turns out.

So I only got one day, Thursday, to shoot and since my wife wasn't 100% we took it easy and stayed pretty much on the roadways.

We took a drive on the Vermilion Lakes Road and I got these of Mt Rundle. Nothing spectacular as it was around noon time, but it was nice and quiet, no one around.

Have a look and give me your opinions, as I said before, they are nothing spectacular.

Canon EOS 6D Mark II    EF24-70mm f/4L IS USM lens    61mm    f/8.0    1/125s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 6D Mark II    EF24-70mm f/4L IS USM lens    61mm    f/8.0    1/125s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Canon EOS 6D Mark II    EF24-70mm f/4L IS USM lens    50mm    f/8.0    1/250s    100 ISO    0.0 EV  

Dec 04, 2017 at 06:39 PM
DianeinCR
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Opinions Please - Mt Rundle, Banff

I really enjoy the second one. It's quiet peaceful and makes me want to be there.

diane

Dec 04, 2017 at 09:11 PM
Bob Jarman
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Opinions Please - Mt Rundle, Banff

2nd for me also - for me all are a bit hot but then I'm not a landscape person either.

Place worthy of a bucket list entry for certain!

Bob

Dec 04, 2017 at 09:25 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Opinions Please - Mt Rundle, Banff

Pete, I saw this post yesterday but wanted to hold off commenting until I could view them them on my good monitor last night. Unfortunately I never got a chance to sneak in here last night to view them and comment.

I also prefer the second image for the added depth and layer from the included mountain side on the right. I do like the zig-zag snow on the ice as seen in the other shots and would have prefered that in your second image but obviously that wasn't an option.

You certainly had your work cut out for you shooting in that light but I understand the reason you had no other options. You have mixed lighting going on there and I might try to selectively adjust WB to compensate. In the second image, it looks like you have done well with most of the snow and clouds but I think I'm seeing a blue cast in the shadow areas.

S&P to taste but I think I might try to bump the clarity or maybe hit it gently with the dehaze in LR and a kiss of USM in PS.

Nice to see you got a chance to put that 6DII to work on some beautiful scenery! I'm envious.

Dave

Dec 05, 2017 at 03:12 PM
DaleBerlin
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Opinions Please - Mt Rundle, Banff

Compositionally, I like the trees and mountains in #2, and the ice and snow in #1. A wide angle shot with the ice dominating may look pretty cool too(not pun intended). Hope everyone is OK.

Dec 05, 2017 at 03:30 PM
Camperjim
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Opinions Please - Mt Rundle, Banff

I prefer the 1st, but I think a few adjustments will make it even better.

It is a bit dark in the shadows. Levels should fix that with midpoint and black point adjustments.

I also think the blue cast in the shadows is excessive. The color processing of our cameras intensifies the blue in the shadows. You can also argue that our eyes compensate and remove the color cast. Either way it does not appear as we see this sort of scene. I have found a quick fix I use for these situations. Make a Photoshop layer. Use the WB tool to remove the color cast in the shadows. The resultant image will appear way too warm. Use the opacity slider to find a more realistic appearance.

Dec 05, 2017 at 03:44 PM
pliukait
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Opinions Please - Mt Rundle, Banff

Thanks everyone for your comments. I use Lightroom so I need to learn Photoshop in order to utilize your suggestions.

I agree the first is a bit dark in the shadows, I'm going to try using and adjustment brush to lighten things a bit.

Here are the RAW files in case you are interested:
#1 http://www.dropbox.com/s/vt3wruk40yze9td/2017-11-30_IMG_0034_6D%20Mark%20II_61_8_125_100.CR2?dl=0

#2 http://www.dropbox.com/s/ccesxrjeo4ur0bq/2017-11-30_IMG_0038_6D%20Mark%20II_61_8_125_100.CR2?dl=0

Feel free to give things a shot. If you do, could you copy/paste the settings you used?

I am liking the 6DII a whole lot even though many reviews are negative for this camera.

Regards.....Pete

Dec 06, 2017 at 01:33 AM
Camperjim
• • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Opinions Please - Mt Rundle, Banff

I took at the files for the first image and am confused. The "raw" is a downsized jpeg. In addition large portions of the whites have been blown out. I then took a look at the file you posted here. A large portion of the blacks have lost all details. Neither file is going to work for ideal processing.

Dec 06, 2017 at 02:44 AM
pliukait
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Opinions Please - Mt Rundle, Banff

I think it might be a Dropbox problem, I am uploading to Box instead. I don't think Dropbox knows how to handle 6DII raw files.

#1 http://app.box.com/s/ayp6ui7djj0iqnszznsfm1iv2indsxri
#2 http://app.box.com/s/j8ceaqzryrfk2kt4ccu6l5ceeq0qye6e

Can you download and try to open the new files in PhotoShop?

Dec 06, 2017 at 03:14 AM
Camperjim
• • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Opinions Please - Mt Rundle, Banff

All I get is a message from Box that the file type is not supported. The best bet might be an out of camera jpeg, downsized and then loaded onto this FM site.

Dec 06, 2017 at 04:25 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

DaleBerlin
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Opinions Please - Mt Rundle, Banff

Downloaded OK for me, here is my stab at it. I took out a lot of blue. Sitting in Columbus Ohio and getting to edit raw files from the Rockies is a real treat .

Dec 06, 2017 at 05:27 AM
Camperjim
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Opinions Please - Mt Rundle, Banff

Nicely done. I do like the foreground ice as I think it adds some interest. I still could not download the raw file. I added a bit of "pop" to the rework. Although I worked with a small file, it does show another possible direction to take the processing.

Dec 06, 2017 at 01:00 PM
pliukait
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Opinions Please - Mt Rundle, Banff

Jim, is there not a blue Download button when you click on the file in Box, below where it says the file type is not supported?

Dec 06, 2017 at 01:01 PM
pliukait
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Opinions Please - Mt Rundle, Banff

DaleBerlin wrote:
Downloaded OK for me, here is my stab at it. I took out a lot of blue. Sitting in Columbus Ohio and getting to edit raw files from the Rockies is a real treat .

Nicely done, Dale. It's a treat for me too. I live in Bradford, ON, north of Toronto, although I used to live in Calgary and then in Fernie, BC. I really miss the mountains and go every chance I get.

Regards.....Pete

Dec 06, 2017 at 01:04 PM
Camperjim
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Opinions Please - Mt Rundle, Banff

Pete, I could download but even my Canon DPP4 software did not recognize the file.

Now that I look at my version compared with Dale's, I can only realize the futility of trying to do post processing for the web. On my monitor my version appears substantially different. After uploading to FM, I can barely detect any changes.

Anyway, nice image. I do love mountains and photos of mountains.

Dec 06, 2017 at 01:13 PM
DaleBerlin
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Opinions Please - Mt Rundle, Banff

Jim, I also have a 6D and work with CR2 files all the time. It sounds like your SW won't recognize them. Pete, I edited the image in Lightroom. Your raw was definitely ETTR, perhaps just a touch too much in the clouds. I had to work pretty hard because the lighting was so harsh. FYI, here is what I did, and by no means is this the best way to go. It is just food for thought:

OVERALL BASIC:
Exposure -.45
Highlights -100
Whites -42
Vibrance +11

OVERALL HSL:
Hue Blue +30
Sat Blue +4
Lum Aqua -2
Lum Blue -46

OVERALL DETAIL:
Sharpness 70

BRIGHT CLOUD AREAS:
Exposure .31
Contrast -100
Highlights -100
Shadows -100

ENTIRE MOUNTAIN:
Clarity 70

ICE:
Contrast 100
Highlights 100
Shadows -100
Whites 36
Blacks -5
Clarity 58

TREE and GRASS LINE:
Highlights 54
Shadows 71
Saturation 50

ONLY DARK AREA on MOUNTAIN:
Temp 5

GRADIANT OVER ICE:
Exposure -88
Shadows 60

CROPPED and LEVELED

Dec 06, 2017 at 01:54 PM
pliukait
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Opinions Please - Mt Rundle, Banff

Camperjim wrote:
Pete, I could download but even my Canon DPP4 software did not recognize the file.

Now that I look at my version compared with Dale's, I can only realize the futility of trying to do post processing for the web. On my monitor my version appears substantially different. After uploading to FM, I can barely detect any changes.

Anyway, nice image. I do love mountains and photos of mountains.

Jim, thanks.

I don't know why you cannot open the file, sorry. Are you using the latest DPP4, Version 4.6.30.0?

Dec 06, 2017 at 02:04 PM
pliukait
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Opinions Please - Mt Rundle, Banff

DaleBerlin wrote:
Jim, I also have a 6D and work with CR2 files all the time. It sounds like your SW won't recognize them. Pete, I edited the image in Lightroom. Your raw was definitely ETTR, perhaps just a touch too much in the clouds. I had to work pretty hard because the lighting was so harsh. FYI, here is what I did, and by no means is this the best way to go. It is just food for thought:

OVERALL BASIC:
Exposure -.45
Highlights -100
Whites -42
Vibrance +11

OVERALL HSL:
Hue Blue +30
Sat Blue +4
Lum Aqua -2
Lum Blue -46

OVERALL DETAIL:
Sharpness 70

BRIGHT CLOUD AREAS:
Exposure .31
Contrast -100
Highlights -100
Shadows -100

ENTIRE
...Show more

Wow, thanks Dale, you went way over and above what I did! I'm going to take your suggestions and give them a try.

.....Pete

Dec 06, 2017 at 02:07 PM
lighthound
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Opinions Please - Mt Rundle, Banff

Well.... If you're gonna play, play hard I always say.

I couldn't resist snagging one of your raw files to see what this body can do with gorgeous landscapes like you captured here.

This is what I came up with while on my non calibrated crap monitor. Hope it's not too messed up.
I did cheat a little and took it into PS for some heavy color adjustments and a little kiss of USM. Then I went nuts with it in NIK CEP and hit it with a few of my favorites in there.

I normally do all my work in LR but when I know there is some heavy color issues due to the lighting, I've learned PS is MUCH more powerful to make targeted adjustments. That's mainly the only reason I use PS but am starting to venture out into other functions in it over time.

A few things I took away from working on this image.
1) That was some tough lighting you had to work with, to me at least. And you nailed your exposure perfectly. Yes, it was ETTR but you didn't blow the highlights.
2) You certainly have some very nice captures (data) to work with here and something print worthy should you decide to once you get them to where you're happy.
3) Your 6DII is definitely up to the challenge with landscapes like this.
4) You are so fortunate to be able to shoot such beautiful locations on occation.

Thanks for sharing the raws Pete! That was a treat to see first hand what our little guys are capable of.

Dave

Dec 06, 2017 at 07:27 PM
pliukait
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Opinions Please - Mt Rundle, Banff

Thanks Dave. It looks you took a noon time shot and turned it into an evening shot. I definitely need to look into Photoshop a little more.

.....Pete

Dec 07, 2017 at 08:17 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Photo Critique | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password