New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Capture One is slow - Crashes New to C1

moosehead222
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Capture One is slow - Crashes New to C1

I just posted to C1 forum as well.
Less than one week, new user to Sony and C1 Pro for Sony --- Used LR since it started.

I am looking for some recommendations, pretty slow on processing and I have already had to force quite a few times in a week.

Using 2011 MBP i7 2.3 hz -- 8 GB of ram, video card is 1 gb (AMD Radeon HD). I use the internal display and sometimes an external Dell 24 inch (old)

Possible improvements;
1. Increase to 16 gb - This is recommended but my system is old but I love the 17 inch size
2. Replace graphics card to at least 2gb - not sure this is possible but can check
3. Preview size is the default 2560, I can reduce to 1920 -- I would expect minimum improvement
4. Use Sessions vs Catalog -- I have very few files in the catalog now -- two folders total of less than 500 -- 42meg RAW photos

Any recommendations to get me by until I can by a new system to improve performance significantly, crashes?

Thank you.

BTW -- I am loving Capture One vs LR -- I am not sure the quality improvement is from Capture One or new sony. The profile and initial conversion of the RAW file requires much less processing. When LR comes out with support for the camera, I will try but I would like to stick with C1

Dec 04, 2017 at 11:38 AM
Emile Gregoire
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Capture One is slow - Crashes New to C1

C1 always was faster on a similar specced 2010 MBP than LR for me. I had to use sessions though; catalogs with more than 1000 images were simply unusable on that laptop. That was while using C1 Pro versions up to and including 10.

I notice that C1 11 is behaving much better with catalogs, even larger ones. I can't test that on my old and trusted 2010 MBP anymore though as I'm using a different setup these days.

If you're using C1 10 or earlier I'd definitely try sessions first before changing anything else.

Dec 04, 2017 at 11:56 AM
moosehead222
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Capture One is slow - Crashes New to C1

Thanks Emile --- I will use sessions for now even though I am using C1 11. I think that I need all the improvements I can get ... Yes LR was dogging it a bit as well with my previous RAW files.

Dec 04, 2017 at 12:03 PM
veroman
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Capture One is slow - Crashes New to C1

As a Mac user from the very first one (1984) as well as a former 17" MacBook owner, I think you're best off increasing RAM as a stop-gap measure and then moving on to a more current, more capable machine, including a desktop Mac as opposed to a laptop.

Another stopgap "improvement" would be to install an SSD hard drive or perhaps configure one externally as a boot-up and content disk. SSDs aren't cheap, but the improvement in speed and overall stability is pretty dramatic, at least on my machine. I don't know how much difference an SSD might make with the relatively slow 17", but there WOULD be a noticeable difference.

I use Capture One as well (Lightroom, too). My Mac is a MacMini 2012 with 16GB of RAM and a 2TB SSD. I'm running os High Sierra. My monitor is an Apple 27". I have no issues at all with any of my software. I chose the MacMini 2012 because the later Mini's can't be owner upgraded.

- Steve

Dec 04, 2017 at 12:03 PM
moosehead222
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Capture One is slow - Crashes New to C1

It looks like a new session does not recognize any processing done under the catalog?

Is there a way to create a session from selected processed files... Any way that I can end up with the processed files outside of the catalog that I can continue under a session.
Extract does not look like that works so I thought that I would just ask here.

Dec 04, 2017 at 12:37 PM
Emile Gregoire
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Capture One is slow - Crashes New to C1

All settings are stored inside the catalog, so a session has no way of seeing that. Sessions on the other hand write all settings and preview caches into a CaptureOne subfolder for each folder you access from within that session.

To transition from catalog to session, I believe these instructions are still valid:

https://captureintegration.com/transition-tips-capture-one-catalogs-to-sessions/

Before making a complete move from catalog to session, try to verify that that indeed works better for you, speed wise.

I second the suggestions Veroman made. I couldn't upgrade RAM past 8 Gb but got years extra out of my 2010 17" MBP by installing a 1Tb SSD. It was a Samsung 840 EVO, did cost me around €350 I believe and that was around 2013 or 2014. At that time I was contemplating getting a new MBP, but managed to stave off that decision until a few months ago by getting that SSD. Night and day difference.

Dec 04, 2017 at 01:30 PM
moosehead222
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Capture One is slow - Crashes New to C1

I am having trouble getting the extract to work. No messages, I just do not see the file I exported. I am sure it is user error. No worries.
I am thinking that I will just stick to using a Catalog and try to either
1. Upgrade to a SSD and 16 gig RAM
or 2. check out a new desktop MAC. If I want to use sessions, I will do so with new RAW files. I only have two folders processed under a catalog.

Dec 04, 2017 at 05:08 PM
Abbott Schindl
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Capture One is slow - Crashes New to C1

Have you filed a support case with Phase One?

Dec 04, 2017 at 05:23 PM
Kit Laughlin
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Capture One is slow - Crashes New to C1

@moosehead: changing to an SSD will completely rejuvenate that old MBP; I think you will be amazed, actually. I have done the same upgrade for many friends, pros and amateurs alike, and all rave over the difference.

Whether the extra RAM will make a discernible difference will depend on your ordinary workflow: if your method is to have many large files open at the same time, then yes, but if not, then probably no. It's a simple change (8 > 16, as is the SSD swap).

I have only had good service from macsales dot com (OWC), and their tutorial videos are thorough. The less expensive SSDs they sell ("3G" vs "6G", from memory) are slightly slower, but you save some money and compared to your current drive, all SSDs are Ferraris!

Jan 01, 2018 at 03:48 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.