New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Lightweight all manual lens wide angle lens for A6000

pchaplo
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Lightweight all manual lens wide angle lens for A6000

Is there a manual lightweight around 16 to 18mm lens that can be fitted to A6000? It needs to be all manual no AF no AE. Lightweight and compact a plus. Adapter ok if package is relatively lightweight. Long story but that’s what I need. Sharp corner to corner at f/8. Dear Santa lol ... used price limit <$800.

Dec 04, 2017 at 11:25 AM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Lightweight all manual lens wide angle lens for A6000

Maybe you could use a Voigtlander 15mm in M mount?

The other thought I had would be using a Sony 16mm f/2.8 pancake lens and putting some tape over the contacts to make it a "dumb" lens. But if it is a focus by wire lens (never owned one myself) then that could make it useless.

Dec 04, 2017 at 12:23 PM
pchaplo
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Lightweight all manual lens wide angle lens for A6000

Thanks. Wondering about this:
>Maybe you could use a Voigtlander 15mm in M mount?
Would that require an adapter?

Is the M mount the same as a Leica mount?

Thanks, Paul

Dec 04, 2017 at 12:30 PM
uscmatt99
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Lightweight all manual lens wide angle lens for A6000

I used a Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 version 2 (not current version 3) on a NEX-6 and Ricoh GXR, and the lens was fantastic on crop sensors. You should be able to get this a lot cheaper than version 3, and it's smaller as well. You'd need an E mount to M mount adapter. I believe version 1 of the lens is an LTM mount, which would necessitate a different adapter though.

Dec 04, 2017 at 12:55 PM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Lightweight all manual lens wide angle lens for A6000

pchaplo wrote:
Thanks. Wondering about this:
>Maybe you could use a Voigtlander 15mm in M mount?
Would that require an adapter?

Is the M mount the same as a Leica mount?

Thanks, Paul

Leica has more than one mount out there, but yes Leica M mount is what I was referring to. You will need an adapter, but they are small and can be had for $20 or less.

Good tip to see if you can find a V2 of the 15mm, will likely be much cheaper and the crop cameras don't use the corners so it would likely be a good fit.

Dec 04, 2017 at 01:56 PM
pchaplo
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Lightweight all manual lens wide angle lens for A6000

Thanks for info on the v2 Voigtlander 15mm. If I understand you correctly, the v2 may be the LTM Mount — is that different than the standard M Mount?

uscmatt99 wrote:
I used a Voigtlander 15mm f/4.5 version 2 (not current version 3) on a NEX-6 and Ricoh GXR, and the lens was fantastic on crop sensors. You should be able to get this a lot cheaper than version 3, and it's smaller as well. You'd need an E mount to M mount adapter. I believe version 1 of the lens is an LTM mount, which would necessitate a different adapter though.

Dec 04, 2017 at 10:05 PM
pchaplo
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Lightweight all manual lens wide angle lens for A6000

Great info. What brand of adapter do you recommend?

formula4speed wrote:
Leica has more than one mount out there, but yes Leica M mount is what I was referring to. You will need an adapter, but they are small and can be had for $20 or less.

Good tip to see if you can find a V2 of the 15mm, will likely be much cheaper and the crop cameras don't use the corners so it would likely be a good fit.

Dec 04, 2017 at 10:10 PM
Juha Kannisto
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Lightweight all manual lens wide angle lens for A6000

pchaplo wrote:
Thanks for info on the v2 Voigtlander 15mm. If I understand you correctly, the v2 may be the LTM Mount — is that different than the standard M Mount?

v1 is LTM, v2 is M and v3 is available as M and native E-mount (with electronic contacts). LTM can be adapted via a simple LTM to M ring + M to E adapter too. I used to have v1 and later v3 in M-mount.

Dec 04, 2017 at 10:23 PM
pchaplo
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Lightweight all manual lens wide angle lens for A6000

Thank for the detail in mounts. This is exciting in other ways as my grandfather photographed using a vintage Voigtlander camera which I used to play with a s a boy and later inherited.

Juha Kannisto wrote:
v1 is LTM, v2 is M and v3 is available as M and native E-mount (with electronic contacts). LTM can be adapted via a simple LTM to M ring + M to E adapter too. I used to have v1 and later v3 in M-mount.

Dec 05, 2017 at 10:05 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Lightweight all manual lens wide angle lens for A6000

Just so you know the Voigtlander 15 f/4.5 III does come in Sony E mount, which may be worth it as you wouldn't need an adapter. It is the newer version of the lens as well and it is still within your budget. You might also consider the Laowa 15mm f/2 for its faster aperture. It isn't as small, but some people really like it here on the forum. You will have to shop carefully for a used one to stay on budget, but it is doable. It also comes in Sony E mount, so you wouldn't need an adapter for it either.

Dec 05, 2017 at 10:50 AM
atracksler
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Lightweight all manual lens wide angle lens for A6000

Vivitar 17mm is light and cheap, two of my favorite things, and it looks great.

Dec 05, 2017 at 11:49 AM
JohnDizzo15
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Lightweight all manual lens wide angle lens for A6000

Do you mean 16-18 in full frame terms or an actual APSC 16-18?

Depending on what you're actually looking for, I would consider the Samyang/Rokinon 12/2.0. It's a pretty awesome lens for landscape and especially astro for it's coma control. It is also pretty darn cheap when you find one on sale. I think they were as low as around 250 very recently.

Dec 05, 2017 at 12:17 PM
arduluth
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Lightweight all manual lens wide angle lens for A6000

The problem with lenses 16-18mm is that unless they're APS-C, they're going to be big. The CV 15/4.5 is the big exception, but that's possible because it's a slow RF lens. Performance is generally going to be worse than you could achieve with a 16-18mm lens designed for APS-C.

Maybe a 24-28mm lens along with a lens turbo would be worth a try? That can come with its own performance issues, but it seems worth your consideration.

The Sony E 16mm f/2.8 is a fully electronic lens. There's no sense in taping the contacts - you won't be able to focus or change aperture. If you can live with AF, there's this lens and there's also Sony E 16/2.8, the Sony E 20/2.8, Sigma 19/2.8, and Sigma 16/1.4. The Sigma 19/2.8 is probably the best lens out of this bunch, but the 16/1.4 is new and might be a very nice lens.

If you're good with something wider, the Samyang 12/2 would be the perfect choice. This is a lot wider, giving the FOV of an 18mm on FF.

Dec 05, 2017 at 01:17 PM
pchaplo
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Lightweight all manual lens wide angle lens for A6000

Great question. I have Sigma 19mm which is around 73 degree angle of view. I need wider -- but without much distortion. I often photograph looking straight downward with lots of turbulence and I don't like the internal focusing on the Sigma at times. I wish I could tape it on infinity Hence my search and need for help bc I do not know these lenses well. Thanks!

JohnDizzo15 wrote:
Do you mean 16-18 in full frame terms or an actual APSC 16-18?

Depending on what you're actually looking for, I would consider the Samyang/Rokinon 12/2.0. It's a pretty awesome lens for landscape and especially astro for it's coma control. It is also pretty darn cheap when you find one on sale. I think they were as low as around 250 very recently.

Dec 05, 2017 at 01:45 PM
DanielBB

p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Lightweight all manual lens wide angle lens for A6000

It's not light, but I went from a sigma 19mm to a voigtlander super wide heliar 15mm f4.5 III E-mount. It's not only wider, but you hardly ever have to focus (just set to infinity) and I think it gives much more depth to a photo. I like it very much, including the feeling of a quality product.

Dec 05, 2017 at 01:57 PM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Lightweight all manual lens wide angle lens for A6000

Another vote for Voigtlander 15/4.5. I have the E-mount version and it's excellent. One thing to be careful: a lot of the (first batch?) of this lens had a problem with soft/blurry corners. Not all of them, but there seemed to be a quality control issue that was discussed here at length. If you buy a used copy, be sure to ask about corner quality, and/or buy it with a good return policy in case you're not satisfied with the copy that you receive. A good copy will have corners nearly as sharp as the rest of the image.

Dec 05, 2017 at 02:14 PM
WestTexas Sky
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Lightweight all manual lens wide angle lens for A6000

The Voigtlander 15mm version 3 is a native Sony mount. Will record exif info. Is very sharp, small and has great sunstars. If you go full frame it's going to work. Love it.

Samyang makes a 16/2 that is native without exif but is rather big

Samyang also makes an incredible 12mm f/2 that is small, fast, sharp and cheap. It may be the best bang for the buck lens for the Sony crop sensor cameras.

Finally a 21mm that is fairly small might work.

As always, test the lens to see if it is centered. I have been quite lucky with Samyang and five of the six I have owned have been great on first attempt.

Good luck.

Dec 05, 2017 at 02:14 PM
arduluth
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Lightweight all manual lens wide angle lens for A6000

Something else I meant to say - the Sony E 16mm f/2.8 gets a bad rap, but it's tiny, cheap and performs pretty well once you've stopped it down to f/5.6 or f/8. It'll probably perform better than most adapted 16-18mm FF lenses, given it was designed for the APS-C format.

It's AF which I understand you don't want, but unlike the Sigma 19mm it doesn't have any optical bits rattling around when the camera is off. Given how tiny the lens is, there's not a lot of movement and might be a better choice given what you describe. Just a thought!

Dec 05, 2017 at 02:19 PM
pchaplo
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Lightweight all manual lens wide angle lens for A6000

Hey Danny, thanks for letting me know about problem with earlier versions. Was that soft-corner problem solved by vIII ? If so, I have may weigh my desire to fondle a metal aperture ring vs. sharp corners

DannyBurkPhoto wrote:
Another vote for Voigtlander 15/4.5. I have the E-mount version and it's excellent. One thing to be careful: a lot of the (first batch?) of this lens had a problem with soft/blurry corners. Not all of them, but there seemed to be a quality control issue that was discussed here at length. If you buy a used copy, be sure to ask about corner quality, and/or buy it with a good return policy in case you're not satisfied with the copy that you receive. A good copy will have corners nearly as sharp as the rest of the image.

Dec 07, 2017 at 12:55 PM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Lightweight all manual lens wide angle lens for A6000

There's only one version of the E-mount, which I *think* is optically the same as M-mount version III. I don't remember hearing about problems with the M-mount version, but someone will correct me if I'm wrong. I was lucky on the first try with a good E-mount copy, but many others were going through 3-4 copies to find a good one.

Dec 07, 2017 at 01:13 PM
       2       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.