New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · PC down, using wife's laptop for editing - need eyes

Jonathan Brady
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · PC down, using wife's laptop for editing - need eyes

Hey All,
Something went wrong with my PC so I sent it in for repair. It's going to be gone for a little while and I shot a session last night that needs to be delivered on Friday. So I fired up my wife's laptop and attached the Spider Pro 5 and got error message after error message. So I couldn't calibrate the screen.
I then downloaded Adobe CC and subsequently LR. Holy cow is this machine SLOW for photo editing. Also, although it's a 17" screen laptop, I'm used to a 25" screen with better resolution.
I'm not feeling overly confident about the processing of these images due to the calibration issue as well as the slow performance of LR keeping my edits to a minimum.
I was hoping y'all could take a look at these 3 images and let me know what you think. I realize processing is to taste but I just want to see if there's something obvious that I'm just not catching.
Thanks for any feedback you can offer!

Dec 04, 2017 at 09:26 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · PC down, using wife's laptop for editing - need eyes

Hi Johnathan,

I think they are not too bad. My suggestions for changes would mostly be to the first one. I think you could lift shadows a bit more around her eyes which are a bit dark for my taste, but it is partly her make up I think. The whites of her eye in that one also look a bit yellow to me as well. The only other issue that would bother me is on the third one the out of focus highlights over her left shoulder (and the trees to the left side of the frame) have a pretty noticeable halo that is think is partly longitudinal CA. I would try to clean that up a bit. Overall, however, I think these are very nice shots and processed well. They are processed very similar to my tastes.

Dec 04, 2017 at 09:48 AM
mogul
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · PC down, using wife's laptop for editing - need eyes

I am seeing a white balance off a bit, showing a little too much orange. Mice shots by the way

Dec 04, 2017 at 10:24 AM
Jonathan Brady
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · PC down, using wife's laptop for editing - need eyes

Thanks for the feedback guys! This should all be easy enough to fix! Of course, if I could get the Spider Pro 5 to actually calibrate my wife's laptop screen, it would be even easier :-)

Dec 04, 2017 at 02:13 PM
joelRichards
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · PC down, using wife's laptop for editing - need eyes

What kind of laptop? Running what OS?

Dec 04, 2017 at 02:23 PM
Jonathan Brady
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · PC down, using wife's laptop for editing - need eyes

HP Envy, windows 10

Dec 04, 2017 at 02:38 PM
joelRichards
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · PC down, using wife's laptop for editing - need eyes

I don't have much experience with Windows 10, sorry. Hoped I could help troubleshoot but not this time. On my calibrated screen (which I need to double check because to me it looks a tad dark, but I'm in a new space) your shadows look a bit crushed.

Dec 04, 2017 at 02:44 PM
Jonathan Brady
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · PC down, using wife's laptop for editing - need eyes

I like dark shadows and a little extra contrast :-) I typically go with a medium tone curve and usually I'll add more contrast and occasionally, even a vignette.

Dec 04, 2017 at 03:01 PM
formula4speed
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · PC down, using wife's laptop for editing - need eyes

If you want to try different calibration software you could try DisplayCal. It's free and works with Spyder hardware. I used it on my Windows 10 machine after my Spyder3 software did nothing but throw errors at me (too old software / too new OS?). Biggest difference I noticed is that it took like 45 minutes to run the calibration, but I think you can tweak settings to make it go faster.

https://displaycal.net/

Dec 04, 2017 at 04:23 PM
nekrosoft13
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · PC down, using wife's laptop for editing - need eyes

Jonathan Brady wrote:
Thanks for the feedback guys! This should all be easy enough to fix! Of course, if I could get the Spider Pro 5 to actually calibrate my wife's laptop screen, it would be even easier :-)

My suggestion is not to use the CD that the spider came with it's probably old.

Try getting a new software package from spyders website.

Dec 04, 2017 at 04:35 PM
Jonathan Brady
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · PC down, using wife's laptop for editing - need eyes

I finally got the software to run properly. I restarted the laptop, then installed the software (fresh install), then rebooted it, then ran the app, and that did the trick.
it was at this point that I figured out why many people put so much time into researching their laptop set up. This screen is absolutely horrific for image editing. If it is not angled exactly right then the colors and temperature shift dramatically. I'm talking less than a 5 degree tilt... It's so bad I reached out to the client and asked what she specifically needed for this weekend so that I could minimize the usage of a laptop for her session. As it turns out, she absolutely loves the images I already sent her and wants just one more, one with her in the full gown, for Her graduation party this weekend. So I'm going to work on that final image and tweak the three I already sent and then wait for my PC to arrive to finish the session.
Thanks, everyone, for your help with this!

Dec 05, 2017 at 05:40 AM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · PC down, using wife's laptop for editing - need eyes

Just a thought, but if your PC has an external monitor and you didn't send it in, you might want to connect your wife's laptop to it. Almost all laptops can do that. You may need to go out and get a dongle, but it is likely worth it so you don't have to struggle with the finicky laptop monitor.

Dec 05, 2017 at 09:30 AM
Jonathan Brady
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · PC down, using wife's laptop for editing - need eyes

Not sure why that didn't cross my mind! Thanks!

Dec 05, 2017 at 10:01 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.