Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Pixma Pro 100 - Sale or Keep?

LinuxHack3r
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Pixma Pro 100 - Sale or Keep?

So I've sold probably close to five of these printers over the years. Anytime I've upgraded bodies I've always tried to take advantage of a bundle and usually have the printer left over. Typically I have sold it on Ebay and netted about $150 or so, sometimes less. Shipping costs usually cut so far into your profits you don't make much compared to what it sells for.

So, I'm thinking of keeping this one. We are finally in a new house that is much bigger so I could actually make room for such a device. But I'm going through the thought processes as to whether it is a good idea. $150 is $150, so that is easy to determine.

I've seen various ink refill methods and aftermarket inks to bring your ink costs down. Are any of these considered really good options? I don't really do prints currently but think it would be interesting to get into. Heck, if nothing else, it would be interesting to take some landscapes and make the large prints for hanging around the house.

But if it is deemed more expensive than worth, unreliable, etc, I may just sell it.

Dec 04, 2017 at 07:46 AM
jforkner
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Pixma Pro 100 - Sale or Keep?

Good to know.

Dec 04, 2017 at 08:00 AM
Stilltime
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Pixma Pro 100 - Sale or Keep?

The prints I get out of mine are great, but it does suck through the ink quickly. I have always bought the 8-pack of ink as that is the lowest OEM way of replacing the cartridges.

Do note that if you do not print for a while, expect to come back to many low/empty cartridges.

Chris C.

Dec 04, 2017 at 08:14 AM
05xrunner
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Pixma Pro 100 - Sale or Keep?

http://www.precisioncolors.com/PC42cref.html
I have been using these for over a year. they are just as good as OEM
after you buy the initial kit with the chip re-setter. It only cost me $36 for another set of 8 2oz inks and that gives me a good 3 maybe 4 refills.

Dec 04, 2017 at 08:30 AM
LinuxHack3r
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Pixma Pro 100 - Sale or Keep?

I have looked into them before. I’d be curious to give them a try. I tried reading on their website but do not completely understand what it takes to get their system going.

05xrunner wrote:
http://www.precisioncolors.com/PC42cref.html
I have been using these for over a year. they are just as good as OEM
after you buy the initial kit with the chip re-setter. It only cost me $36 for another set of 8 2oz inks and that gives me a good 3 maybe 4 refills.

Dec 04, 2017 at 08:35 AM
RogerZoul
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Pixma Pro 100 - Sale or Keep?

I use mine with Precision Colors ink. Way cheaper than Canon ink and the images look exactly the same (and the images look really good, too). Note that color prints will fade over time, especially if you don't protect the surface. The OEM inks from Canon will last the longest, but PC inks won't last as long. However, if you protect your images properly, even prints made with cheaper 3rd party inks can last years. I buy Canon paper on the deals they have..and you can save a lot that way too.

Note: you need to do your homework here. There are some crap inks out there. The best approach is to keep your original carts from Canon and use them to refill with PC inks (or some other quality 3rd brand). I keep two sets of OEM carts (which means I had to go through two complete sets of Canon ink) and use those for refilling purposes. It takes a while to run all of the Canon ink out because I refill all 8 carts when only one cart goes empty and they run out of ink at different rates since images don't use all colors equally. You will learn about this if you do the homework. Look for jtoolman on youtube.

Dec 04, 2017 at 08:38 AM
LinuxHack3r
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Pixma Pro 100 - Sale or Keep?

So bringing the cost down by refilling is nearly tempting enough to keep it.

I have read about potential issues with the yellow refills and clogging.

Dec 04, 2017 at 08:58 AM
rek101
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Pixma Pro 100 - Sale or Keep?

You could always sell it in February or March or something after the rebate offers end? That being said, if it encourages you to blow up and print more photos you like, maybe you'd enjoy it.

Dec 04, 2017 at 09:53 AM
Robin Smith
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Pixma Pro 100 - Sale or Keep?

It's an excellent printer. It is trouble free and tolerates long periods of inactivity without clogging (unlike most other printers I have owned). Like all printers though it does get through the ink. I am intrigued you managed to sell the ones you got as Canon virtually give them away.

Dec 04, 2017 at 10:00 AM
05xrunner
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Pixma Pro 100 - Sale or Keep?

yes once your factory yellow runs out throw that out and just buy a fresh one off precision inks for few bucks. Then you will have no worries about the yellow clogging up. Just make sure to keep the chip so you can swap it over to the fresh cart

Dec 04, 2017 at 10:09 AM
RogerZoul
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Pixma Pro 100 - Sale or Keep?

LinuxHack3r wrote:
So bringing the cost down by refilling is nearly tempting enough to keep it.

I have read about potential issues with the yellow refills and clogging.

Yep. For yellow you need to buy a Cart from PC (or someone else) or you have to do a clean flush of the OEM because the yellows (OEM and 3rd Party) don't mix.

I think once you learn how and buy the cheaper ink and get in on a paper deal, you'll be surprised how affordable printing is. If you ever sell an image, you may want to switch back to OEM inks to give your customers the best possible longevity possible in a print. Or not (by letting them know you are using 3rd party inferior (but not terrible by a long shot) inks.

Dec 04, 2017 at 10:18 AM
Kathy White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Pixma Pro 100 - Sale or Keep?

I use Precision Inks as well. Once you figure it all out, it's so easy. The yellow cartridge, once you get one going is not really that much of an issue. I just watched a utube video on how to remove the little circuit pack off of the original yellow one. I refill as I empty a cartridge and it takes 30 seconds. I don't hesitate to print anything I want. Another plus is stocking up on Canon paper when they have a really good sale and you will be amazed at how cheaply you can print. They had 13 x 19 paper a couple of years ago for like 14.00 a box of 50 and I really stocked up. It and the letter size was something like buy one and get 4 free. My ink investment lasts for a very long time. I think the bottles I get are 8 ounce and I buy double of the black and grays when I order since they seem to be the most often refilled. Followed by the pm and pc. The red and green are very seldom empty. Also with Precision, their bottles with the needle tops are much easier than anything I previously used and not that expensive.

Anyway, it's a great printer and I've really used and enjoyed mine.

Dec 04, 2017 at 02:53 PM
LinuxHack3r
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Pixma Pro 100 - Sale or Keep?

I'm really thinking I'll keep it this time around, finally at a point where I have room and money to make it worthwhile.

So, as I understand it the issue with the yellow was the the residual OEM ink and aftermarket inks did not mix together at all so you either have to buy one from them or completely flush it out if you are reusing an old OEM one. As such, the issue isn't the use of the ink but rather the conversion from OEM to aftermarket. If this is the case, then it literally isn't that big of a deal.

As far as the paper going on sale, how often does that happen and how cheap is it?

Dec 04, 2017 at 02:57 PM
Ming-Tzu
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Pixma Pro 100 - Sale or Keep?

Also, I've been told that you can save ink by never turning the printer off, as the process of continuously turning on and off "tricks" the printer into thinking you have less ink than you really do.

Dec 04, 2017 at 03:15 PM
Kathy White
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Pixma Pro 100 - Sale or Keep?

LinuxHack3r wrote:
I'm really thinking I'll keep it this time around, finally at a point where I have room and money to make it worthwhile.

So, as I understand it the issue with the yellow was the the residual OEM ink and aftermarket inks did not mix together at all so you either have to buy one from them or completely flush it out if you are reusing an old OEM one. As such, the issue isn't the use of the ink but rather the conversion from OEM to aftermarket. If this is the case, then it literally isn't that big of a
...Show more

I don't know the frequency, but the sales differ. The best is as I said above, buy 1 get 4 free. I loaded up and haven't bothered watching for sales since. I am probably good on paper for the next 3 or more years. Many times someone on here will alert us that there is a good sale. When you do catch a good one, buy quick because it sells out. And yes, you are right about the yellow, it is the mixing of them that causes the trouble. I really don't think it would be that difficult to just drill your hole, and flush it but I went the route of buying the replacements and transfering the card from the original yellow.

Dec 04, 2017 at 05:33 PM
LinuxHack3r
• • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Pixma Pro 100 - Sale or Keep?

So, from what I can tell, the "resetter" isn't actually used over USB (as in, there is zero software involved) but rather just powered over USB. Correct?

Also, what about setting the supposed "custom profile" for Precision Colors on a Mac?

Dec 04, 2017 at 08:52 PM
05xrunner
• • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Pixma Pro 100 - Sale or Keep?

yes the resetter only uses USB for power

Dec 05, 2017 at 08:27 AM
LinuxHack3r
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Pixma Pro 100 - Sale or Keep?

So, I'm probably 99% sold on the idea of keeping it and re-filling. With that said, right now you can snag a Pixma Pro 10 for $50 if you pull the right strings.

I'm trying to figure out if that would be worth it.

Also, something interesting came to my mind. With as many rebate deals that go on, I think in terms of operating the Pro 100, I may wait for another rebate in the future and stock up on an extra set of inks, print heads, and paper. In essence, keeping everything of value and then giving the printer itself away on Craigslist or so. I think that would honestly be a great value.

Dec 05, 2017 at 11:40 AM
lighthound
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Pixma Pro 100 - Sale or Keep?

Good info folks, thanks! I plan on printing a lot more this coming year on my Pro 100 and all this great info will save me a ton on Ink.

Just purchased nearly $200 of paper from Red River so I have some printing to do.

Dave

Dec 05, 2017 at 11:42 AM
LinuxHack3r
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Pixma Pro 100 - Sale or Keep?

http://www.redrivercatalog.com/cost-of-inkjet-printing-canon-pro-100.html

Always found that article interesting. Think I'm going to give it a go. Once I find a location for the thing, I may open it up and try a few test prints. I think my first "job" will be printing roughly 50 printable DVD's in the upcoming month for a gig. I think that will theoretically be very flashy.

Dec 05, 2017 at 11:53 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.