Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!

alundeb
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!

When the camera knows the aperture, it can compensate for "pixel vignetting" by amplifying the signal. That is done even to the raw file. Probably what's happening above.

Dec 14, 2017 at 05:28 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!

That would also be my first guess. The adapted M lens provides no shooting information to the camera, which therefore doesn't know what the actual aperture setting is and can't compensate for this effect.

The faster the lens, the larger the exit pupil size, meaning at wide apertures light arrives at a given pixel from many different directions, rather than the optimum 'collimated' stream perpendicular to the sensor surface. Depending on the sensor design (microlenses, BSI, etc) less of this 'scattered' light, even though a lot is coming in during the exposure, makes it straight down to the photodiode. This requires a degree of exposure compensation to be baked into the file to keep exposure consistent with other exposure settings where this effect is no longer a factor.

At least this is the way I understand it.

Dec 14, 2017 at 11:16 PM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!

SharpContrast wrote:
I wonder if it would have been possible for Voigtlander to desgn an E-mount version as small as the M-mount?

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4565/27254928039_0f7ff96de1_c.jpg2017-12-13_02-44-25 by David Andrews, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4682/24167591467_7444326d36_c.jpg2017-12-13_03-00-38 by David Andrews, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4517/25161108358_4124e351c2_c.jpg2017-12-13_03-01-22 by David Andrews, on Flickr

The Exit Pupil is the same size

What we need is Bastain to interview someone at Voigtlander

Two reasons why the E mount is larger
(1) It fits a smaller flange distance, so the lens has to be longer
(2) It is designed for a considerably closer MFD, so the helicoid has to be longer if it's be continuous

Dec 15, 2017 at 02:27 AM
wfrank
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!

How does this lens compare to the CV 35/1.2 II?

Dec 17, 2017 at 11:17 PM
JasonEdwardPho

p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!

Really hoping for someone to be able to answer this!!

I am about to buy either.

wfrank wrote:
How does this lens compare to the CV 35/1.2 II?

Dec 18, 2017 at 02:22 PM
JasonEdwardPho

p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!

I am coming back to the M system after a bit of an absence.

I currently have 25 Zeiss, 40 1.4 (love/hate) and a 50 Cron V1. I am looking to build up. I would love to get the Lux set of 24/35/50 but the will take some serious wrangling with my firmís CFO. For now, I am wondering if the 40 1.2 can do double duty until I get a 50 Lux ASPH.

I have the 21 1.8 on my M8 and it was really nice, but too close in focal length from the awesome Zeiss.

Dec 18, 2017 at 02:44 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!

If you care about size, stop here get 40mm, if you abosolutly need 35mm and f1.2, stop here get 35mmf1.2. Otherwise get 40mm. If you need both 35mm and size small, get VC35mm f1.7.

I got myself 35mm f1.7 as well, went through a thorough test, again it leave me very impressed. About the same sharpness as 40mm. You can shoot landscape at f2.8 and worry nothing. Bokeh is smooth as well.

I had VC35mm f1.2, I donít miss it, mainly for its size, and it was not as sharp as 40mm. If I can handle size this big I will go zm35f1.4, but I am not sure why I would do that give 35mmf1.7.

Having or had all above mention lens used, if I have to pick one: it will be 40mm. Itís rendering deserve my applaud. I like it better 35VC both versions for the way I use it.

You dont get this kind of quantity bokeh from any 35mm lens, and you donít get quality at portrait distance as well. and at the same time you donít get environment this much from any 50mm lens, a special tool for sure it is.

A modern classic M Iíd say with some covets: no focus tab, ugly chrome ring, ugly fat body, busy bokeh WO at mid-long distance.

A Great lens! Worth every penny it ask for.

JasonEdwardPho wrote:
I am coming back to the M system after a bit of an absence.

I currently have 25 Zeiss, 40 1.4 (love/hate) and a 50 Cron V1. I am looking to build up. I would love to get the Lux set of 24/35/50 but the will take some serious wrangling with my firmís CFO. For now, I am wondering if the 40 1.2 can do double duty until I get a 50 Lux ASPH.

I have the 21 1.8 on my M8 and it was really nice, but too close in focal length from the awesome Zeiss.

Dec 18, 2017 at 07:03 PM
Makten
• • • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!

zhangyue wrote:
...busy bokeh WO at mid-long distance.

I can't agree with that. It's actually extremely smooth in the middle field even at fairly long distances (5-10 meters even), but the borders and corners are very funky indeed. I do agree with everything else you wrote, though.

Dec 18, 2017 at 07:42 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!

I did see corner get funky. As for general rendering at that distance, Letís say I donít get wowed at that distance.
The specialty I see become normalized.

Add one more, 50mm frame line for M user could be an issue especially for M262, M9 user.
Makten wrote:
I can't agree with that. It's actually extremely smooth in the middle field even at fairly long distances (5-10 meters even), but the borders and corners are very funky indeed. I do agree with everything else you wrote, though.

Dec 18, 2017 at 08:39 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!

zhangyue wrote:

I had VC35mm f1.2, I donít miss it, mainly for its size, and it was not as sharp as 40mm. If I can handle size this big I will go zm35f1.4, but I am not sure why I would do that give 35mmf1.7.

+1 based on my experience of 35/1.2 vs 35/1.7 current M version.

35/1.2 is not as sharp at farther distances. It's sharp enough for most applications, but in comparison to the 35/1.7 the 1.7 has an edge. The 35/1.2 is a bit more moderate in contrast and IMO perhaps a bit smoother feeling in some situations. But I found it trickier to use with RF and off-center subjects, or if something planar extended off-center. Field curvature meant it was difficult to maintain focus across the plane at wider apertures. But it was one of the few wider lenses I thought worked as well, if not slightly better on Sony mirrorless than Leica digital M (40/1.4 is also very different (better), in respect to field curvature characteristics on Sony). I've also compared the ZM35/1.4 against the 35/1.7 at infinity distances on Leica digital M and thought the 1.7 had the edge. But it was only one copy of each. IMO the 35/1.7 is a lens like the 21/3.4, ZM35/2.8 and ZM50/2 (and probably some others I haven yet used). You just use it and don't have to think about any quirks. 28 Lux is the only Lux I've used that I feel is similar, in respect to lack of quirkiness, primarily due to relatively flat field curvature vs. very wavy in other Luxes... This is something that appeals to me about some of the recent Voigtlander lenses. Certainly the 35/1.7, and by the sounds of it, the 40/1.2. 21/1.8 in this respect is a lot better than the 21 Lux (and probably also the 24 Lux), though in the end I kept the 21 Lux for other reasons.

Edited on Dec 19, 2017 at 05:13 PM · View previous versions

Dec 19, 2017 at 05:09 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!

rscheffler wrote:
+1 based on my experience of 35/1.2 vs 35/1.7 current M version.

35/1.2 is not as sharp at farther distances. It's sharp enough for most applications, but in comparison to the 35/1.7 the 1.7 has an edge. The 35/1.2 is a bit more moderate in contrast and IMO perhaps a bit smoother feeling in some situations. But I found it trickier to use with RF and off-center subjects, or if something planar extended off-center. Field curvature meant it was difficult to maintain focus across the plane at wider apertures. But it was one of the few wider lenses I thought worked
...Show more

IMO, the CV 35/1.7 at infinity is one of the sharpest 35mm on the market. It's really amazing from wide open. It works great on the Sony stock with a 5m front lens but I'm sure it performs even better towards the edges on a Leica or modded Sony body. This is the lens I would like to see ported to the E-mount as it should be an easy task for Cosina.

Dec 19, 2017 at 05:13 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!

Yes, as Michael stated and as I've found in use, at f/2.8 you can get great sharpness across the frame and it's very impressive from wide open.

Amazing that around it's launch you could get it for around $650 US imported from Europe. At least its US price has come down a bit since launch while EU prices have risen to eliminate any difference.

Dec 19, 2017 at 05:19 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!

Fred Miranda wrote:
IMO, the CV 35/1.7 at infinity is one of the sharpest 35mm on the market. It's really amazing from wide open. It works great on the Sony stock with a 5m front lens but I'm sure it performs even better towards the edges on a Leica or modded Sony body. This is the lens I would like to see ported to the E-mount as it should be an easy task for Cosina.

Yes, my dream CV kit for Sony FE is 35 f/1.7, 65 f/2 APO, & 125 f/2.5 APO. To me it makes too much sense not to make the CV 35 f/1.7 in FE mount. It should be a fairly easy tweak and I think would sell very well, and the 125 f/2.5 APO macro was such a cult lens, you would think Cosina could see the market for that as well. The 65 is already a simply fantastic lens, but this trio would very close to exactly what I would want.

Dec 19, 2017 at 05:32 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!

Maybe I need use 35mm f1.7 more for other stuffs, but under same condition to maintain the magnification by moving in a little for 35mm for portrait, I prefer 40mm images every single time.

The more I use 40mm, the more I feel its Bokeh special and lovely. I haven't have this kind of impression with any modern lenses since RX1 did it a few years ago on me. but 40mm has its quirk, RX1 almost have none.

Dec 19, 2017 at 10:04 PM
zaphodm

p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!

Fred Miranda wrote:
It works great on the Sony stock with a 5m front lens but I'm sure it performs even better towards the edges on a Leica or modded Sony body. This is the lens I would like to see ported to the E-mount as it should be an easy task for Cosina.

I really hope that the 3rd-party lens manufacturers are seeing the improvements being made with front lenses and incorporate them into the lenses they make for FE.

Dec 27, 2017 at 03:06 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!

zhangyue wrote:
Maybe I need use 35mm f1.7 more for other stuffs, but under same condition to maintain the magnification by moving in a little for 35mm for portrait, I prefer 40mm images every single time.

The more I use 40mm, the more I feel its Bokeh special and lovely. I haven't have this kind of impression with any modern lenses since RX1 did it a few years ago on me. but 40mm has its quirk, RX1 almost have none.

What's unique about the CV 35/1.7 is the complete absence of onion ring pattern in specular highlights even though this lens has an aspherical element towards the rear. I also like the transition zone and overall rendering. I would say it's the first 35mm lens I liked after shooting with the Sonnar 35/2. However, without the PCX, field curvature is just too high making rendering a bit unpredictable. (So, imo, the 5m front-lens is a must)
Even with all the current 35mm lenses in the market, this is one of my favorites.

The CV 40/1.2 is capable of more subject isolation creating a nice 3d rendering but the excessive LoCA and onion rings ruined many of my images. Still love it though, as there is nothing like it making it a very unique lens.

Dec 27, 2017 at 03:33 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!

zaphodm wrote:
I really hope that the 3rd-party lens manufacturers are seeing the improvements being made with front lenses and incorporate them into the lenses they make for FE.

Lens designers probably have better tricks at their disposal when porting a lens to work with a thicker sensor stack. For example, they could just tweak the curvature of an existing element(s) making it optimal for Sony bodies.

Dec 27, 2017 at 03:37 AM
zaphodm

p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!

True, as Voigtlander obviously did with this lens. Was thinking more about the ones that create a base lens and sell it in different mounts (Samyang, Laowa, etc), without changing the base lens design. Even perhaps as a designed accessory, rather than needing to source your own parts, experiment with different ones and jury-rig something to work.

Dec 27, 2017 at 05:13 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!

I agree with you 35mm f1.7 is the closet lens to RX1. The reason I prefer 40mm for the cases I mentioned was just like you said: quantity of the bokeh and character. I am sure I will prefer 40mm to RX1 as well for the cases I tested: shooting portrait with subject less than 1M,the background just melt away.

For city or street, I am sure my verdict will reverse. As for those condition, I need bokeh to be smooth but at the same time keep the shape, outline and information of background. (Abosolutly no funky stuff here ) RX1 is definitely the best here out of all 35mm I tested.

I can rate RX1 has smooth and beautiful bokeh, maybe VC35f1.7 as well, but I will not say they have character. ld say VC40 has lots of character. Itís bokeh has some SA build in with oil paint like render, rich but never ugly. And in focus zone is also happen to be sharp with minor SA left. Good design!

What a fun lens it is.

Fred Miranda wrote:
What's unique about the CV 35/1.7 is the complete absence of onion ring pattern in specular highlights even though this lens has an aspherical element towards the rear. I also like the transition zone and overall rendering. I would say it's the first 35mm lens I liked after shooting with the Sonnar 35/2. However, without the PCX, field curvature is just too high making rendering a bit unpredictable. (So, imo, the 5m front-lens is a must)
Even with all the current 35mm lenses in the market, this is one of my favorites.

The CV 40/1.2 is capable of more subject isolation
...Show more

Dec 27, 2017 at 05:58 AM
Membler
• • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!

A close focus shot wide open with the A7r3

Dec 27, 2017 at 05:29 PM
1       2      
       4       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password