Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!

zhangyue
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!

JasonEdwardPho wrote:
Looking forward to your thoughts on it.

I received lens yesterday, I did a few snaps around yesterday night, and I test it at infinity to check up decentering this morning. Haven't check the result yet. I will post finding later. (Maybe in that long thread to keep all information related with this lens in one single thread.)

For M, It will bring up 50mm frame line, this will be a little concern to be honest, I have to keep frame myself out side of frame line every time. For critical composition, this will be an issue actually. I use Leica EVF on my MP240 this afternoon shooting around between work. Rangefinder Focusing is very accurate and easy. My keeper rate is high, about the same as 50lux ASPH. For good in spec rangefinder camera and lens, I found focus is extreme easy, fast and reliable.

Focusing is a little on smooth side for my taste, but not to the concern level. Infinity is a hair less than hard stop at f1.2, but at f2~2.8, the sharpest focus is at hard stop. (I think I read Fred had similar finding in his E version). For 50lux ASPH, at f1.4, hard stop give best sharpness, but at f2.8, slightly pull back a hair giving best resolution, exact opposite of this Noctron. I'd say they both have very minor focus shift. (did I say very minor)

I feel the lens has the exact aperture blade as E version, I am a little disappointed to find that is the case. I thought it has rounded aperture ring mentioned somewhere. So yeh, it will give sunstar at f2.8. I like sunstar but don't like over use it now, or make itself as subject of interesting or dominate in the image with long spike. So I use EVF to carefully play hide and seek to avoid it to be too strong. EVF is very handy in this case for composition and check sunstar or flare, but I still focus use RF and way prefer it over EVF under harsh back light condition especially at shooting aperture. This reminded me why I think Leica M is the best MILC offer both good on EVF and OVF. Unfortunately, blank out and delay are feel very old fashioned compare to latest Sony.

To be continued.

Let me know if you guys have any question on M version on RF body.

Dec 13, 2017 at 01:42 AM
rscheffler
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!

Is there much viewfinder blockage and have you decided on a hood?

Looking forward to more of your insights. It annoys me too that it doesn't seem to have the claimed rounded aperture blades as I'm not a huge fan of strong starbursts. IIRC in the Sony thread there was some talk of a bit of focus shift, so interested in more of your thoughts here, if it's really a factor.

JasonEdwardPho wrote:
I was about to pick up the 35 1.2, but this could be fantastic.

Anyones compare the two of them yet?

The 35 is a pretty big and beefy lens, whereas the 40 seems more RF friendly.

This would be an interesting comparison. My guess, having owned the 35/1.2 on Leica digital M is that the 35 is more optimized for near distance and not so great at far distances until stopped down a ways. It's sharp enough centrally but has some field curvature that I found a bit annoying when a planar subject extended off-center. From reading the long 40/1.2 Sony thread, it seems the 40 is really good at far distances and softens up a bit a near distances (sub 1.5m?). It's probably more like the 35/1.7, but about a stop faster.

Dec 13, 2017 at 02:24 AM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!

rscheffler wrote:
Is there much viewfinder blockage and have you decided on a hood?

Looking forward to more of your insights. It annoys me too that it doesn't seem to have the claimed rounded aperture blades as I'm not a huge fan of strong starbursts. IIRC in the Sony thread there was some talk of a bit of focus shift, so interested in more of your thoughts here, if it's really a factor.

The 35 is a pretty big and beefy lens, whereas the 40 seems more RF friendly.

This would be an interesting comparison. My guess, having owned the 35/1.2 on Leica
...Show more

I haven't receive my 52-58 adapter ring yet, however, I have no plan for hood. The viewfinder blockage is very minor with bare lens, only at the extreme frame line corner. I would say no issue for composition. However, it is 50mm frame line.
As for focus shift, I haven't carefully evaluate yet, but only based on infinity focusing is slightly different between f1.2 and f2. Most likely it is nonissue for real world shooting. Maybe will take a look later just through EVF by changing aperture and tell you the results if you trust my word

I just uploaded my testing results for sharpness on LR, briefly browse the images, It is a well behaved copy. So far, I feel the lens might actually perform better than E version, but Leica M is 24M. I will upload the image later.

Given size difference, I will not even consider 35mm f1.2. However, I just bought 35mm f1.7. I will test it against this one later.

Dec 13, 2017 at 04:43 AM
SharpContrast

p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!

The m-mount when stopped down does perform well on the A7rmkii.
Out of camera jpg's:

DSC04624 by David Andrews, on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/EgfXU1

Voigtlander 40mm 1.2 VM by David Andrews, on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/22ntjzq

Its also great close up

2017-12-13_11-05-07 by David Andrews, on Flickr

https://flic.kr/p/217sw9F

Its ony when you want corner sharpenss below f5.6 where it gets a little sketchy.
I will be having a play with a PCX2500 at the weekend if I get the spare time, Fred seems to think the PCX5000 is better suited though.

Have to say I'm loving this lens way more than the E-Mount version on my a7rmkii.
I'm a sucker for small lenses and I'm not so bothered by the corners generally.
Also AF with the techart is almost a must when shooting at f1.2, I like the lens so much its making me want to get A7rmkiii so I can use Eye Autofocus with it

Edited on Dec 13, 2017 at 03:19 PM · View previous versions

Dec 13, 2017 at 11:36 AM
SharpContrast

p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!

I wonder if it would have been possible for Voigtlander to desgn an E-mount version as small as the M-mount?

2017-12-13_02-44-25 by David Andrews, on Flickr

2017-12-13_03-00-38 by David Andrews, on Flickr

2017-12-13_03-01-22 by David Andrews, on Flickr

The Exit Pupil is the same size

What we need is Bastain to interview someone at Voigtlander

Dec 13, 2017 at 03:04 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!

David, with adaptor, are they about the same size? it is trade off between AF and FC/sharpness I guess.
I like the weight and size but wish it is not the fat it is just not handsome on M.

The lens is sharp though on M system. Modern VC m glass are good Id say. Really good.

Dec 13, 2017 at 05:00 PM
sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!

SharpContrast wrote:
I wonder if it would have been possible for Voigtlander to desgn an E-mount version as small as the M-mount?

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4565/27254928039_0f7ff96de1_c.jpg2017-12-13_02-44-25 by David Andrews, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4682/24167591467_7444326d36_c.jpg2017-12-13_03-00-38 by David Andrews, on Flickr

https://farm5.staticflickr.com/4517/25161108358_4124e351c2_c.jpg2017-12-13_03-01-22 by David Andrews, on Flickr

What we need is Bastain to interview someone at Voigtlander

i'm sure they could have, they just didn't see the need.

Dec 13, 2017 at 05:01 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

sebboh
• • • • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!

zhangyue wrote:
David, with adaptor, are they about the same size? it is trade off between AF and FC/sharpness I guess.
I like the weight and size but wish it is not the fat it is just not handsome on M.

The lens is sharp though on M system. Modern VC m glass are good Id say. Really good.

can we get a pic of it on camera? does it look like a bloated c-sonnar?

Dec 13, 2017 at 05:02 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!

Yeh, exact remind me sonnar but sonnar is prettier for much small diameter.

Picture will follow later.
sebboh wrote:

Dec 13, 2017 at 05:08 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!

rscheffler wrote:
IIRC in the Sony thread there was some talk of a bit of focus shift, so interested in more of your thoughts here, if it's really a factor.

Hi, Ron, I just did a focus shift test on this lens, It show backward shift, but at two distance I tested at about 0.9M and 2M, in both case, DOF cover the shift. So basically, you will see DOF window shift back and your focus point will be in front portion of DOF window when you stop down the aperture.

To sum up, it is not an issue for M shooter. Again, I want reemphasis here: For both M and DSLR, one of most important feature I prefer them over Sony is focusing isolated with shooting aperture. With fully understood lens, isolate focus with shooting aperture say f8 f11 is life saver in field for me.

Dec 13, 2017 at 06:59 PM
zhangyue
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!

Here is iPhone snap when I did focus shift test for Ron and myself

sebboh wrote:

Edited on Dec 13, 2017 at 07:25 PM · View previous versions

Dec 13, 2017 at 07:04 PM
Makten
• • • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!

SharpContrast wrote:

Certainly, if MFD was restricted to the same 0.5 meters. Personally I wouldn't mind that at all.

Dec 13, 2017 at 07:13 PM
rscheffler
• • • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!

Thanks Michael!

SharpContrast wrote:

Is the aperture in the Sony version manual stop down or is it electronically controlled? If the latter, this might explain some of the additional girth.

FWIW, the exit pupil is not the diameter of the rear element. Please see here on Wiki for a definition of exit pupil.

So, when you hold the two lenses side by side, looking through them from the rear at the same aperture setting, does the 'pupil' of light look to be the same size? Or is one larger than the other?

Dec 13, 2017 at 07:44 PM
JasonEdwardPho

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!

Would also like to know how this would compare to the Zeiss 50 1.5.

Dec 13, 2017 at 08:32 PM
       end

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password