Home · Register · Software · Software · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

  New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist
  

FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
  

Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!
  
 
Fred Miranda
Offline
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!


Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!
The new Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 VM is now in stock for $899.
It's the fastest production full frame 40mm lens ever made!

B&H Photo | CameraQuest | Adorama | Amazon

Main features:
  1. Leica M-Mount Lens
  2. Aperture Range: f/1.2 to f/22
  3. Two Aspherical Elements
  4. Manual Focus Design
  5. Minimum Focusing Distance: 1.6'
  6. Rangefinder Coupled Focusing: 2.3'
  7. Filter Thread: 52mm
  8. Rounded 10-Blade Diaphragm
  9. Dimensions: 2.4 x 1.7" / 60.8 x 43.3 mm
  10. Weight: 11.1 oz / 315 g

Help support FM by using our links for your purchase! - Thank you!

Read the Voigtlander 40mm f/1.2 E-mount review.

















Dec 03, 2017 at 03:31 AM
fsiagian
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!


It’s less expensive than the fe mount and af with tap for sony. And can be used for fuji too. Hmmm tempting.


Dec 03, 2017 at 03:50 AM
nehemiahphoto
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!


fsiagian wrote:
It’s less expensive than the fe mount and af with tap for sony. And can be used for fuji too. Hmmm tempting.


And lighter by about 100g! I’ll probably have to try one...



Dec 03, 2017 at 04:58 AM
timerickson
Offline

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!


Same lens design as the FE mount version? Any differences other than presumably being shaved back a bit for M mount?


Dec 03, 2017 at 06:10 AM
Taylor Sherman
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!


timerickson wrote:
Same lens design as the FE mount version? Any differences other than presumably being shaved back a bit for M mount?


One FMer has both, and the edge/corner performance on a Sony is definitively worse using the M version. So, it appears to be a different optical formula.



Dec 03, 2017 at 07:42 AM
linnil
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!


just ordered on BH.

will do some test once i get it.



Dec 03, 2017 at 08:16 AM
Jonas B
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!


But... the aperture blades aren't rounded. As we are in this forum it would be interesting to know the weight with the auto-focus adapter included. EDIT: OK, we seem to be in ALT and Sony forums.


Dec 03, 2017 at 10:07 AM
DavidBM
Offline
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!


timerickson wrote:
Same lens design as the FE mount version? Any differences other than presumably being shaved back a bit for M mount?


Same approximate design: nothing different at the level of the block diagram.
But there must be small differences is spacing or surface geometry to compensate for the different filter stacks, as we have seen the the M version performs well on M but not as well at wider apertures on Sony.

So it's rather like 2/35ZM and Loxia 2/35. Roughly the same formula, but you do want the version optimised for your mount.



Dec 03, 2017 at 10:37 AM
Jonas B
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!


DavidBM wrote:
Same approximate design: nothing different at the level of the block diagram.
But there must be small differences is spacing or surface geometry to compensate for the different filter stacks, as we have seen the the M version performs well on M but not as well at wider apertures on Sony.

So it's rather like 2/35ZM and Loxia 2/35. Roughly the same formula, but you do want the version optimised for your mount.


Yes, and I think the images posted by SharpContrast shows this. (Crops at page 40 in the review thread and more posts on the subject at other pages.)



Dec 03, 2017 at 10:49 AM
Steve Spencer
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!


DavidBM wrote:
Same approximate design: nothing different at the level of the block diagram.
But there must be small differences is spacing or surface geometry to compensate for the different filter stacks, as we have seen the the M version performs well on M but not as well at wider apertures on Sony.

So it's rather like 2/35ZM and Loxia 2/35. Roughly the same formula, but you do want the version optimised for your mount.


I would certainly want the one optimized for the mount I was using, but for people who are using Sony and are willing to make the trade off in corner performance to be able to use an AF adapter I can see an argument for the approach. On a Leica camera you of course can only use the M mount version and there wouldn't be much sense in doing anything different anyway.



Dec 03, 2017 at 11:50 AM
 

Search in Used Dept. 

        


Jonas B
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!


Steve Spencer wrote:
I would certainly want the one optimized for the mount I was using, but for people who are using Sony and are willing to make the trade off in corner performance to be able to use an AF adapter I can see an argument for the approach. (...)


The problem is that the comparisons shown it's not only the corners that suffer. This far it seems as the M-mount version used on a Sony camera is quite a bit worse than the E-mount version everywhere but in the center. Maybe further investigations will show something else.



Dec 03, 2017 at 11:59 AM
JasonEdwardPho
Online

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!


I was about to pick up the 35 1.2, but this could be fantastic.

Anyone’s compare the two of them yet?



Dec 03, 2017 at 12:59 PM
Steve Spencer
Offline
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!


Jonas B wrote:
The problem is that the comparisons shown it's not only the corners that suffer. This far it seems as the M-mount version used on a Sony camera is quite a bit worse than the E-mount version everywhere but in the center. Maybe further investigations will show something else.


I'm not disagree Jonas, but for some people they are willing to make that trade in performance for autofocus. I certainly wouldn't make that trade off, but who am I to say what other's priorities should be. I would say if you are going to use the M lens, you probably should see if there is a front filter that can improve its performance. A front filter even seems to help the E mount version for close distance as you know and have provided some evidence for.



Dec 03, 2017 at 01:04 PM
Jonas B
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!


Steve Spencer wrote:
I'm not disagree Jonas, but for some people they are willing to make that trade in performance for autofocus. I certainly wouldn't make that trade off, but who am I to say what other's priorities should be. I would say if you are going to use the M lens, you probably should see if there is a front filter that can improve its performance. A front filter even seems to help the E mount version for close distance as you know and have provided some evidence for.


Oh Steve, it was only your way to say "the corners" instead of "midzone and corners" which I think is more correct.
About front end addons... well, "some evidence" is right: My conclusion is that I will bother with the Elpro very seldom, if ever.
I can't really see anyone switching between the Elpro (or any other close-up lens) and the a PCX filter to help with the rest.




Dec 03, 2017 at 01:23 PM
Jonas B
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!


JasonEdwardPho wrote:
I was about to pick up the 35 1.2, but this could be fantastic.

Anyone’s compare the two of them yet?


The review thread, page 44 post 13 and 14, page 45 post 4 - no direct comparisons though - only comments from us having owned both. EDIT: Came to think about it...For what camera?



Dec 03, 2017 at 01:25 PM
linnil
Offline

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!


B&H offers very good return policy. I will test if the quality drop (compared to E Mount) bothers me much, if it does, I will return it. I am hopeful.


Dec 03, 2017 at 07:46 PM
JasonEdwardPho
Online

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!



For the M240


Jonas B wrote:
The review thread, page 44 post 13 and 14, page 45 post 4 - no direct comparisons though - only comments from us having owned both. EDIT: Came to think about it...For what camera?




Dec 04, 2017 at 02:35 AM
Mathieu18
Offline
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!


Please let us know! Finally got to review SharpContrast’s shots and it looked substantial...

linnil wrote:
B&H offers very good return policy. I will test if the quality drop (compared to E Mount) bothers me much, if it does, I will return it. I am hopeful.




Dec 04, 2017 at 02:58 AM
zhangyue
Online
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!


Ordered with FM link! 300g is sweat for f1.2 lens. It seems a lens I was always talking about Leica should make. Small size, Character WO, sharp slow down. A Well engineered photographer lens it is.
Even slightly lighter than 35lux ASPH, i also ordered heliopan 52-58mm step ring (best brass quality) to use my 58mm filter set for Leica. Also serve as small hood that cover chrome ring to avoid flare.
Finger crossed.



Dec 04, 2017 at 10:09 PM
JasonEdwardPho
Online

Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Voigtlander Nokton 40mm f/1.2 M-mount now available!


Looking forward to your thoughts on it.

zhangyue wrote:
Ordered with FM link! 300g is sweat for f1.2 lens. It seems a lens I was always talking about Leica should make. Small size, Character WO, sharp slow down. A Well engineered photographer lens it is.
Even slightly lighter than 35lux ASPH, i also ordered heliopan 52-58mm step ring (best brass quality) to use my 58mm filter set for Leica. Also serve as small hood that cover chrome ring to avoid flare.
Finger crossed.




Dec 11, 2017 at 03:54 PM
1
       2       end






FM Forums | Alternative Gear & Lenses | Join Upload & Sell

1
       2       end
    
 

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password