Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Red Rain Falling Down

All I can say is "WOW"! Great shot Mark

Dec 08, 2017 at 02:57 PM
PeaktoPeek
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Red Rain Falling Down

Well, I don't see how this scene could be any better- beautiful!
Paul

Dec 08, 2017 at 05:33 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Red Rain Falling Down

lighthound wrote:
How cool is THAT! Very nice shot and I find your processing very appealing.
Feel free to send me those LR presets anytime.

Nice!

Dave

Thank you Dave!!! I appreciate the compliment.

If you follow me on Facebook or are on my mailing list I send out Quality Freebies (like full Video Tutorials) quite often. I think I even sent out one on "WHAT ACTUALLY CONSTITUTES AN ORIGINAL RAW FILE / CUSTOM INTELLIGENT PRESETS." Some months back this year.

The next one in the making is about Linear Capture (how our cameras capture light) and Gamma Encoded Space (what has to be done to the Raw files so we can even see them) and how shooting to the right of the histogram is still quite relevant (if quality is your aim) even with the new generation of Sony and Nikon cameras.

Dec 08, 2017 at 09:57 PM
Don George
• • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Red Rain Falling Down

Right time, right place, right photographer=excellent image.

Dec 09, 2017 at 05:35 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Red Rain Falling Down

pointbob wrote:
solid pics. lovely. Could you tell us a bit about what camera and lenses you used? I'm assuming not a smartphone.

Sorry, I did not catch this question until now. Also, sorry I did not put it in the original post (I usually do).

Sony A7R2
Canon [email protected]
f/16
320 ISO
1/30th
A super quick Handheld shot between two people tripods because I was leading a workshop.
In post-processing, this is quite close to my custom default LR and Camera Raw Presets for Nikon and Sony cameras. Mainly just a handful of small corrections/fine tuning. 80% in LR 20% in Photoshop. All on an X-Rite i1Display Pro Calibrated 27inch Mac Thunderbolt at the general industry WEB standard of:

2.2 Gamma
6500 White Point
125 CD (candelas, or Luminance or brightness)

The real factor here is the moment. Whether I shot it Canon, Nikon, Sony or other. Whether I shot it at 42MP or even with my old Canon 10D (6MP) it still would look the same.

Hope it helps.

Dec 11, 2017 at 09:45 PM
DaleBerlin
• • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Red Rain Falling Down

Oh my this is good. Those red streaks coming down in front of the white background really sets it off. The clarity of the ridge is incredible. Very nice work while you were working.

Dec 11, 2017 at 10:47 PM
Kane Engelbert
• •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Red Rain Falling Down

Just an absolutely crazy shot Mark. That red rain stuff is up there when it comes to the very best atmospherics one can wish for in a landscape image. I got it once in Hovenweep last August but would prefer having it up on the North Rim!

Dec 11, 2017 at 11:48 PM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Red Rain Falling Down

So awesome. Thank you, everyone, for the vote!!! I will get to the individual comments as soon as I can. Thank you again!

Dec 16, 2017 at 08:16 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Red Rain Falling Down

Congratulations Mark. This is a great picture.

Thanks for sharing. Scott

Dec 17, 2017 at 05:10 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Danpbphoto
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Red Rain Falling Down

As our Auzzie brothers say, "A ripper" fed sure Mark!! Stunning!
Dan

Dec 18, 2017 at 01:13 PM
Matt Anderson
• • •
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · Red Rain Falling Down

Great photo, well deserved !!

Dec 18, 2017 at 07:58 PM
elizabeth77
• •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · Red Rain Falling Down

This is just beautiful. I don't even do landscape professionally but I've gone in search of your presets!

Dec 22, 2017 at 03:55 PM
rmance17

p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · Red Rain Falling Down

That is one of the most gorgeous photos I have ever seen in my life! The Grand Canyon is without a doubt one of the most beautiful places on earth. I hope we have as much luck this year. I am so looking forward to your workshop! It couldn't get here soon enough!

Thank you so much for posting all your gorgeous work ... it is so inspiring!

Jan 02, 2018 at 08:14 PM
Blufox
• •
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · Red Rain Falling Down

Well deserved! Stunning landscape!

Jan 03, 2018 at 12:03 AM
Mark Metternich
• • • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · Red Rain Falling Down

rmance17 wrote:
That is one of the most gorgeous photos I have ever seen in my life! The Grand Canyon is without a doubt one of the most beautiful places on earth. I hope we have as much luck this year. I am so looking forward to your workshop! It couldn't get here soon enough!

Thank you so much for posting all your gorgeous work ... it is so inspiring!

Hi Robert! Thank you so very much! I can not wait!!! Nothing I enjoy more!

This really took a very non-linear approach to get (for my clients and the quick snap for myself). In fact right after this blood-red sky and rainbow, the next day I got my clients another blood red sky and rainbow (double) and even massive lightning strikes in the scene at a very remote and super epic/vista location. The only way I was able to pull that off was by very intensive, hour by hour, weather study (all apps, all websites...) some general guesswork (due to having lived down there in the desert for years) and especially my client's awesome willingness to ditch the idea of having a linear itinerary or always knowing exactly where they are going next, or having to have a hotel every day. We literally chased the weather (and my intuition about it) to both locations and scored. Late morning (and sometimes even midday) on either day, we were not entirely sure where we were going for the evening shoot. People with heavy control issues usually don't like this type of approach. But those who are willing to trust me and put getting great light (thus images) as a major priority for a photo workshop are more than willing to do what it takes to catch the great light and more often this approach pays off in spades. People sometimes say "you were so lucky." As we know luck favors the prepared. A lot of workshops are not run this way. But I totally understand. Sometimes people want a Day1, Day 2... itinerary. My opinion is that this drastically lowers the chances for awesome light.

Jan 03, 2018 at 07:32 PM
Jred
• • •
p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · Red Rain Falling Down

Beauty!

Jan 03, 2018 at 08:35 PM
twoflower
• •
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · Red Rain Falling Down

Wow, that is a stunning photograph, Mark!
Everything about the photo is absolutely perfect. Well done!

Jan 04, 2018 at 05:46 AM
rmance17

p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · Red Rain Falling Down

Which is exactly why I chose you for my first workshop. That is the EXACT approach needed to get the amazing photos you get. I am ready to sleep on the ground if that's what it takes. I am so super excited!

Jan 04, 2018 at 05:44 PM
ArturS
• •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · Red Rain Falling Down

What a great conditions. Congrats.

Jan 07, 2018 at 12:39 AM
       3       end

FM Forums | Landscape Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

3       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password