Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · X-T2 firmwave v3.0 with 100-400. Is the new update improve AF / BIF?

Alex Phan
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · X-T2 firmwave v3.0 with 100-400. Is the new update improve AF / BIF?

So the last time i use the combo and found the 2 major issues:

1. XT-2 has a hard time to keep up with erratic motion
2. XT-2 has a hard time to separate the busy background

New firmware out and took it out for a spin. I went out to the local wetland to shot some very easy tracking / slow bird to see if the AF improve. Here is what i see

1. The ability to separate busy background greatly improve

2. The ability to keep up with erratic motion: Same.

I experience some weird new issues that it wasn't there before the firmware update:

1. there seem to be a 1 to 2 seconds delay for the camera to recognize the subject randomly. For example, when you're in the middle of shooting then point camera down, pick up to point at new bird, the camera just seem to do nothing for 1 to 2 seconds then it will focus.

2. EVF will have a completely highlight blow out for couple second then it back to normal. It happen 4 times for me.

This is just XT-2 + 100-400mm. I'm not even trying the 1.4x TC yet. So even after the latest fw, i still don't think the system is ready for BIF yet. Seem like it only tracks good when the subject flying one side to another or coming toward you. If your bird fly up and down then make sudden turn, then left to right, the camera can't seem to track fast enough.

Dec 02, 2017 at 12:21 PM
zimman
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · X-T2 firmwave v3.0 with 100-400. Is the new update improve AF / BIF?

Bubble wrote:
So the last time i use the combo and found the 2 major issues:

1. XT-2 has a hard time to keep up with erratic motion
2. XT-2 has a hard time to separate the busy background

New firmware out and took it out for a spin. I went out to the local wetland to shot some very easy tracking / slow bird to see if the AF improve. Here is what i see

1. The ability to separate busy background greatly improve

2. The ability to keep up with erratic motion: Same.

I experience some weird new issues that it wasn't there before
...Show more

Thank you for reporting your findings. It's too bad. I was hoping that things would get better.

Dec 02, 2017 at 07:30 PM
Alex Phan
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · X-T2 firmwave v3.0 with 100-400. Is the new update improve AF / BIF?

few images from that day.

Dec 04, 2017 at 11:21 PM
Lumens1
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · X-T2 firmwave v3.0 with 100-400. Is the new update improve AF / BIF?

I updated Thursday night and took my XT-2/100-400 out Saturday morning. I did not experience the same as you. I found when a subject appeared I could focus and track it much better than before. When I lost sight of the bird it was much quicker and easier to regain sight and focus.

I suspect though the experience one encounters will be different for each of us, based on technique used and what we prefer. What threw me off was the new blinkies, I could not decide what to use to determine correct exposure, the histogram or the blinkies. I was shooting very white Egrets - the blinkies focused in the birds while the histogram focused on the background.

Dec 05, 2017 at 09:13 AM
Arejukas

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · X-T2 firmwave v3.0 with 100-400. Is the new update improve AF / BIF?

I have been shooting a lot of fencing action lately, and I was really glad I updated firmware before last weekend.

Although I had a few shots with focus on background instead of foreground, the keeper rate was way higher than at previous events over the last few months. FYI, I tend to use the larger aperture primes -- 23, 35, and 56 are mostly what I shoot with, not zooms.

Here's one I would have had trouble with before, but seemed to be right on after the update.

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/24131030_1536584559760646_7556128266373859706_n.jpg?oh=5c0ebafbfaab8791c2bce5a9a4da7e8a&oe=5A8F8E1B

https://scontent-sjc2-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/24294213_1536584476427321_177043962203312083_n.jpg?oh=99d163c0265a7655b14483e19979f3d7&oe=5A932D99

(sorry, am trying to get the image to show, but am having trouble linking to the image address correctly)

More from this shoot here and here

BTW, if you haven't tried it yet, the tethered raw conversion that was released with this firmware update is working solidly, no problems and very convenient for batch processing using the in camera engine -- used it for all these pics with my X-T2. Kudos to Fuji for a good idea!

Dec 05, 2017 at 12:37 PM
jecottrell
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · X-T2 firmwave v3.0 with 100-400. Is the new update improve AF / BIF?

Lumens1 wrote:
I suspect though the experience one encounters will be different for each of us, based on technique used and what we prefer. What threw me off was the new blinkies, I could not decide what to use to determine correct exposure, the histogram or the blinkies. I was shooting very white Egrets - the blinkies focused in the birds while the histogram focused on the background.

If you had dialed your exposure compensation down to eliminate the blinkies, you would have seen a small spike at the right end of the histogram. Instead, you exposed for the background and the bird was off the right of the histogram, over exposed and unrecoverable.

Dec 05, 2017 at 03:17 PM
Lumens1
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · X-T2 firmwave v3.0 with 100-400. Is the new update improve AF / BIF?

jecottrell wrote:
If you had dialed your exposure compensation down to eliminate the blinkies, you would have seen a small spike at the right end of the histogram. Instead, you exposed for the background and the bird was off the right of the histogram, over exposed and unrecoverable.

Actually I took half the shots per the blinkies and the other half per the histogram. While post-processing I learned the histogram on the camera is hard for me to read - the histogram in Lightroom I could see a very fine line along the bottom showing the over exposure, and yes like you say in those shots the bird was somewhat blown out. In the shots where I followed the blinkies the background was very under-exposed (almost black), but the birds were perfect showing good detail. I was able to bring the background back up and use local adjustments to bring the birds back down. In fact it fascinated me so I tried a couple methods to post process those shots and found several methods to make them right. One shot HDR worked quite nicely, making two copies, bring the background up in one and then blending the two.

Bottom line the blinkies are REALLY going to help me with my exposure settings as I can see them MUCH better than the histogram. FUJI made a GREAT improvement to the XT-2 with this firmware update as far as I am concerned.

Dec 06, 2017 at 07:39 AM
you2
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · X-T2 firmwave v3.0 with 100-400. Is the new update improve AF / BIF?

I think there is a problem with that first image...
Bubble wrote:
few images from that day.

Dec 06, 2017 at 07:42 AM
Alex Phan
• • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · X-T2 firmwave v3.0 with 100-400. Is the new update improve AF / BIF?

you2 wrote:
I think there is a problem with that first image...

Dec 06, 2017 at 09:07 AM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.