New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              5       6       end

Update on Steelsring EF-GFX adapter

Bubble
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Update on Steelsring EF-GFX adapter

I'm happy to report that the Steelsring EF-GFX adapter works perfectly. My replacement came few days ago. Clearly i have the defective unit last time (none of my Sigma Art fit)

AF is snappy and fast as if using on DSLR. Exif info report correctly. Best of all, the support from Steel is excellent. I would recommend to buy directly from Steel instead of go through the 3rd party vendor.

As always, native lens always the best. However, iF you already have Canon lenses then this addition will worth the investment. Not the other way around.

If you're on the fence of getting this adapter, GO FOR IT.

Dec 02, 2017 at 06:41 AM
engardeknave
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Update on Steelsring EF-GFX adapter

Just ordered it last night. The Facebook page looks promising, with all the play-by-plays of hacking discoveries and firmware improvements.

Apparently the lens profile issues which the Techart suffers are not an issue with this adapter.

Although I think I might put some threadlocker on those screws if they seem loose. Several people have had this adapter get stuck on the lens.

Dec 02, 2017 at 02:17 PM
Bubble
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Update on Steelsring EF-GFX adapter

I think i'm the only one that had the lens stuck . I posted it on FB under "alex phan". The other guy is user error (instead of push down, he push in).

Dec 02, 2017 at 04:58 PM
iammikie
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Update on Steelsring EF-GFX adapter

Where are these sold?

Dec 02, 2017 at 05:06 PM
Bubble
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Update on Steelsring EF-GFX adapter

iammikie wrote:
Where are these sold?

http://www.steelsring.com/en/home/

Dec 02, 2017 at 05:13 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Update on Steelsring EF-GFX adapter

I'm still unclear about how many Canon lenses (aside from the TS lenses*) will give you full image frame coverage with excellent performance to the corners.

Dec 02, 2017 at 05:42 PM
Bubble
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Update on Steelsring EF-GFX adapter

gdanmitchell wrote:
I'm still unclear about how many Canon lenses (aside from the TS lenses*) will give you full image frame coverage with excellent performance to the corners.

40mm STM and nothing else after 85mm range.

I would just get the GF 23mm for wide angle. You can't beat that lens. And 1GF 110mm for portrait.

Dec 02, 2017 at 06:16 PM
engardeknave
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Update on Steelsring EF-GFX adapter

Bubble wrote:
40mm STM and nothing else after 85mm range.

I would just get the GF 23mm for wide angle. You can't beat that lens. And 1GF 110mm for portrait.

23mm is not wide enough and has no shift. If the GF 23 were my only choice, this camera would be useless to me professionally. Surprisingly, it's not even any sharper than the Canon lenses I've tried.

As for the the other lenses, some of us don't actually use anything beyond 85mm.

Dec 02, 2017 at 06:27 PM
engardeknave
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Update on Steelsring EF-GFX adapter

Some lenses that cover: Canon 85/1.2, 85/1.4, 50/1.2 (without hood) 135/2, 11-24 (14.5-17.5mm, or 14.5-24 with slight modification, or 11-24 with heavy modification), 70-200/2.8 (not sure what range), Tamron SP DI 35/1.8, Zeiss Otus 85, Sigma ART 135/1.8, 85/1.4, 50/1.4, 35/1.4 (tiny vignette), [email protected]+mm

The Canon TSE lenses alone are worth getting an adapter. In fact, the 24mm TSE alone is worth getting an adapter. However, Canon just announced three new TSE lenses: 50mm, 90mm, 135mm.

Dec 02, 2017 at 07:23 PM
gdanmitchell
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Update on Steelsring EF-GFX adapter

But the TS lens's range of T and S is quite limited on this camera, right? (I had heard that some were using them not because they tilt and shift but because the useful image circle of TS lenses tends to be larger, thus avoiding corner performance problems.

It sounds like some will work (with no problems or deficiencies)? ó 85mm L lenses, 50mm f/1.2 (if you don't need the hood, or perhaps if you substitute a "wider" hood?), 135mm f/2.

Some need to be "modified" (!) to work at all or get full use ó 11-24mm.

Some work, but not across full focal length range ó 70-200mm f/2.8 (?), 11-24mm, ART 12-24mm

One ART lens vignettes, a 12-24.

All told, it looks like you might get fully functional 35mm, 50mm, and 85mm primes, right?

Dec 02, 2017 at 10:33 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

Bubble
• • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Update on Steelsring EF-GFX adapter

You will get vignette on 50L

Dec 02, 2017 at 10:42 PM
engardeknave
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Update on Steelsring EF-GFX adapter

On both the 17 and 24 TSE the full range is available. And even if it weren't, 95% of the time you only use one or two thirds of the total shift range anyway.

The 11-24mm would be extremely useful even if it were stuck permanently at 15mm. This is because there is no 15mm lens for the GFX. Likewise, there is no 16mm lens for GFX. And there is no 17mm lens for the GFX.

That said, I'd throw the fucking thing into a wood chipper if there were a net profit to be gained. These are tools for me, not religious relics.

Dec 02, 2017 at 10:46 PM
rdeloe
• • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Update on Steelsring EF-GFX adapter

If you ever decide you need to throw yours in a wood chipper, I have a wood chipper and if you send it to me I promise I'll throw it in for you. Scout's honour!

engardeknave wrote:
On both the 17 and 24 TSE the full range is available. And even if it weren't, 95% of the time you only use one or two thirds of the total shift range anyway.

The 11-24mm would be extremely useful even if it were stuck permanently at 15mm. This is because there is no 15mm lens for the GFX. Likewise, there is no 16mm lens for GFX. And there is no 17mm lens for the GFX.

That said, I'd throw the fucking thing into a wood chipper if there were a net profit to be gained. These are tools for me, not
...Show more

Dec 02, 2017 at 11:00 PM
rdeloe
• • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Update on Steelsring EF-GFX adapter

This statement got me really excited... but then I double-checked so now I'm less excited. ('_')

Based on my calculations (see image below) it looks like a rise of 8mm would take you to the top edge of the image circle, and a shift of 7mm would take you to the left or right edge.

It gets worse: on a sensor the size of the one in a GFX, an 8mm shift creates the same change as a 6.32mm shift on full frame (8mm * 0.79 = 6.32mm).

That could still be a useful amount of movement in many situations, but it's about 1/2 what you would get if you put the same Canon 24 TS-E on a full frame sensor.

engardeknave wrote:

Dec 03, 2017 at 03:12 PM
engardeknave
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Update on Steelsring EF-GFX adapter

That's only because you're fitting more in the frame in the first place with a larger sensor--with a 4:3 aspect ratio. You actually need less rise.

Dec 03, 2017 at 04:46 PM
highdesertmesa
• •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Update on Steelsring EF-GFX adapter

engardeknave wrote:
23mm is not wide enough and has no shift. If the GF 23 were my only choice, this camera would be useless to me professionally. Surprisingly, it's not even any sharper than the Canon lenses I've tried.

As for the the other lenses, some of us don't actually use anything beyond 85mm.

With the GF 23 it makes a huge difference in sharpness to autofocus on an object closer than infinity. If you autofocus on the horizon or distant mountains, it is always softer, regardless of the aperture used. If you autofocus on infinity at f/4 and look at the focus DOF scale in the viewfinder, it actually shows itís focusing past infinity! Focused correctly, it far exceeds the sharpness of the 11-24 @18mm on the 5DsR.

Dec 03, 2017 at 07:00 PM
engardeknave
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Update on Steelsring EF-GFX adapter

highdesertmesa wrote:
With the GF 23 it makes a huge difference in sharpness to autofocus on an object closer than infinity. If you autofocus on the horizon or distant mountains, it is always softer, regardless of the aperture used. If you autofocus on infinity at f/4 and look at the focus DOF scale in the viewfinder, it actually shows itís focusing past infinity! Focused correctly, it far exceeds the sharpness of the 11-24 @18mm on the 5DsR.

Yes, I should have mentioned I only shoot at f/11 with wide angles. If it's better at f/11, let's see a raw.

Dec 03, 2017 at 07:09 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Update on Steelsring EF-GFX adapter

gdanmitchell wrote:

Dan, it depends what you mean by full image frame coverage with excellent performance to the corners. You are being pretty precise, but is it ok if you need to clean up the vignetting in post? Are you talking about shooting at infinity or closer? Is it ok if the lens does quite give that coverage wide open if it does stopped down? If you want absolutely no drop in performance to the last pixel in the corners with only minimal vignetting at infinity focus, then I think you want the TS lenses at least for anything wider than 135mm. The 135L has very good coverage of the sensor, but it has vignetting even on FF 35mm wide open, but by f/4 or so it would be good for almost an purpose. In my view, if you want to shoot landscapes and you want to use Canon lenses, then the TS lenses are a great option. If you want to shoot portrait and aren't too picky in the corners and edges lots of lenses work fine. Architecture? Well, I think the GFX with the Cambo Actus would be great for that and some of the TS lens would be very useful, but I would also add some larger format lenses to get more tilt and shift for some occasions. Macro? Most macro lenses work well, but I don't know about the MP-E 65 which might be a really interesting lens on the GFX, but I think any other Canon macro lenses there are probably a lot better options available. So, a lot depends on what you shoot and exactly how much non-perfection you can tolerate.

Dec 03, 2017 at 08:29 PM
Bubble
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Update on Steelsring EF-GFX adapter

and we all need to keep in mind that there is no such thing as "one stop for all". As always, native lens is your best choice. The moment you step out to the "adapting" world, you have to give some to get some. You need to know what you want and go from there.

As of right now, Steelrsing is the only adapter that report the correct focal length through out (prime and zoom lens) in exif and the AF works as advertise.

Dec 03, 2017 at 09:05 PM
highdesertmesa
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Update on Steelsring EF-GFX adapter

engardeknave wrote:
Yes, I should have mentioned I only shoot at f/11 with wide angles. If it's better at f/11, let's see a raw.

I donít shoot at f/11, so I couldnít say. I find f/4-8 plenty for my compositions. I donít do a lot of near-MFD-to-infinity all in focus type of shots, as I mainly use the 23 to capture cloudscapes above a given scene. If you still have the lens, you may want to try manually focusing and using the electronic DOF scale to see if you notice an improvement in sharpness. Next time I use the lens, Iíll experiment at f/11.

Dec 03, 2017 at 10:28 PM

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password