FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              27      
       end

FM members A7R III first impressions

te4o
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.28 #1 · p.28 #1 · FM members A7R III first impressions

The touchpad function is fantastic. In AF and in MF. Much faster than moving focus point with joystick. I use it for stills and video. Can't imagine working without it. Actually PreAF with touchpad works well too.

Jan 16, 2018 at 10:04 AM
normie610

Upload & Sell: On
p.28 #2 · p.28 #2 · FM members A7R III first impressions

I beg to differ, since I won't have to take my eyes off the EVF when fiddling with my thumb. All the basic settings are on EVF's display so it's very very simple and easy to do. Yes the back and front dials are not marked but it's very easy to remember (back dial SS, front dial Aperture) Since I have small fingers, I almost never encountered the dials to be accidentally turned

pdmphoto wrote:
I like the look up the Fuji controls. The problem with Sony's wheels and dials is that none of them are marked and they are too easily turned. There's no way to tell the actual setting without looking in the camera, and doing that requires changing you screen mode first, so it will show the camera setting. Of couse you can turn the dial to see, but that is changing as setting just to see what it is set at. I've been shooting Sony for almost 5 years and find theie dial and wheel concept to be terrible.

Jan 16, 2018 at 11:58 AM
darrellc
• • •
p.28 #3 · p.28 #3 · FM members A7R III first impressions

I shot a Fuji X-Pro 2 and X-T2 for about a year, back to Sony now.

Both control paradigms have their benefits and downsides. In any case, I get used to them in a few weeks and then I'm good with either. When I get a new camera, I tend to shoot with it exclusively for a few weeks, put a few hundred or thousand shots on it, and I am good to go with it (assuming it works for me). I don't make judgements before that.

Fuji is great in that you see your camera state at a glance and make adjustments prior to even turning on the camera - if you know what you need or expect to need for a shooting situation, you can easily dial that in.

Sony is great for scenarios when you want to quickly change to a new, known state. I do a bunch of switching between video and stills, and Sony (more so Panasonic) are great in that I can have very different settings appropriate for video or stills at the push of a button or twist of a dial. My A7RIII arrives today, I'm excited to try out the new customization options (different button set ups for stills and video, more parameters controlled by memory banks).

Fuji was a pain in the but for hybrid use, when constantly switching back and forth between video and stills.

Fuji's hard coded analog controls are nice, but so are Sony's abstracted control dials.

Jan 16, 2018 at 01:25 PM
Wanny
• •
p.28 #4 · p.28 #4 · FM members A7R III first impressions

Question for anyone shooting the A7Riii and 85 GM. How much better is the AF than the mark ii with the lens?

Jan 16, 2018 at 08:51 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

pasblues
• •
p.28 #5 · p.28 #5 · FM members A7R III first impressions

The thing that I was rather astounded by was the result with the A7RIII. I'm sorry I don't have fancy words for it - but, basically, the images are crispy and filled with fine detail. Shockingly so.

And I was shooting rather handicapped since I didn't really have the custom controls set up the way I wanted yet.

On the second photo, notice how the focus on his face wasn't quite nailed as the camera was searching for a face on the banjo instead of the focus point where I wanted it. This is what I mean by shooting through objects. I need to make that decision myself or get the camera to overcome searching for the face when I'm shooting through obstacles. Normally, I would choose a focus point and nail that point - but letting the camera choose to detect a face was not successful in this particular situation.

Also, notice that the ISO shifted from 4000 to 10000. I wish I could have had a static ISO of my own choosing - in fact, complete settings of my own choosing. This is a problem I will resolve by getting the camera set up properly for the way I want to shoot.

Since I have to downsize the images so much to post them here, they might not appear with the same crispness and resolution as they appear on my own computer screen.

© pasblues 2017

John McEuen Knux A7RIII 55mm f1.8 ZA 1/400 sec f1.8 ISO 4000

John McEuen Knux A7RIII 55mm f1.8 ZA 1/400 sec f1.8 ISO 10000

Jan 17, 2018 at 02:42 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.28 #6 · p.28 #6 · FM members A7R III first impressions

pasblues wrote:
Since I have to downsize the images so much to post them here, they might not appear with the same crispness and resolution as they appear on my own computer screen.

I can still see fine detail on the resized image. The A7R3 + 55/1.8 is indeed a well balanced high IQ combo. Great images.

Jan 19, 2018 at 10:58 PM
pasblues
• •
p.28 #7 · p.28 #7 · FM members A7R III first impressions

Fred Miranda wrote:
I can still see fine detail on the resized image. The A7R3 + 55/1.8 is indeed a well balanced high IQ combo. Great images.

This shoot was the first time I really gave the 55 ZA a chance and the lens really surprised me - it responded well to the A7R3.

Jan 19, 2018 at 11:06 PM
normie610

p.28 #8 · p.28 #8 · FM members A7R III first impressions

Wanny wrote:
Question for anyone shooting the A7Riii and 85 GM. How much better is the AF than the mark ii with the lens?

It does feel a tad faster, but Iím not sure by how much. Accuracy is also improved a bit.

Jan 20, 2018 at 07:33 AM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password