1       2      
       4              30       31       end

Archive 2017 · FM members A7R III first impressions

pleaseshoot
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · FM members A7R III first impressions

Fred Miranda wrote:
I'm playing with this thing all day since this morning and battery is still 55%...that's without even giving it a chance to fully charge it.

So, yes, the new battery is a big plus.

My battery came completely drained and I live in a much colder climate, so that could so that could have something to do with it. Do you have display quality set to high?

Dec 02, 2017 at 12:27 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · FM members A7R III first impressions

pleaseshoot wrote:
I had an a7rii and before that a Nikon d800 + D4 (The D4 I kept)

The image I could get from the A7rii exceeded anything I could get my Nikons but I always felt a disconnect. Never got used to the menu system and things took much longer than they should have. Sooo it's only been a day and a half using A7riii but I'm already much more comfortable / confident using this over the rii.

Not finished customizing the buttons yet but so far I have;
Controle Wheel - ISO
C1 Focus Mode
C2 Focus Area
C3 Metering
C4 Touch
...Show more

Try putting magnify on joystick press. You may really like it.

Dec 02, 2017 at 12:52 AM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · FM members A7R III first impressions

Can you set the MF point with the touchscreen, or do you have to use the joystick?

Dec 02, 2017 at 01:03 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · FM members A7R III first impressions

The "shaking hand icon" does not stay on the screen whenever the shutter speeds are low. That was kinda of annoying on the A7R II.

Dec 02, 2017 at 01:12 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · FM members A7R III first impressions

DannyBurkPhoto wrote:
Can you set the MF point with the touchscreen, or do you have to use the joystick?

As far as I can tell, only AF mode works with the touchscreen. So, I'm afraid the joystick is needed for MF control.

Dec 02, 2017 at 01:15 AM
pleaseshoot
• •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · FM members A7R III first impressions

GMPhotography wrote:
Try putting magnify on joystick press. You may really like it.

Will give it a try

Dec 02, 2017 at 01:20 AM
RFMP
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · FM members A7R III first impressions

I can only use the joystick as well for MF.

Dec 02, 2017 at 01:23 AM
virtualrain
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · FM members A7R III first impressions

I don't manual focus... much at all... but I wonder why you would bother now... you can zoom in to where you want to focus and then AF and watch it nail focus. Why would you even try to match that performance manually?

I have to say, since I switched from Canon I really missed the joystick... and now that I have that and AF selection via a touch screen, I'm wondering if I'll ever use the joystick. After playing with it for just a few minutes, I was hooked... it's so fast and intuitive.

Having said that, the Sony camera division still has a way to go with touch screen tech compared to their mobile phone division... they should really bring the touch team over from the phone team to the camera team to do things like pinch to zoom on playback and a proper touch driven menu system, gestures, etc.

One other note... as I mentioned in a previous post, I actuallly have more custom buttons now than I know what to do with. And the whole idea of invoking a different configuration temporarily while holding a custom button is such a new idea, I really need to think about how that might be used,

Edited on Dec 02, 2017 at 01:40 AM · View previous versions

Dec 02, 2017 at 01:35 AM
nandadevieast
• • • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · FM members A7R III first impressions

Thanks for the FIs Fred and David,
What is the difference between r2 and r3 regards magnification during MF. Does r3 go higher or same values? I had read R2 EVF at a certain magnification was not good.
How do you reach 100% view in playback mode?
Enjoy 😉

Dec 02, 2017 at 01:38 AM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · FM members A7R III first impressions

virtualrain wrote:
I don't manual focus... much at all... but I wonder why you would bother now... you can zoom in to where you want to focus and then AF and watch it nail focus. Why would you even try to match that performance manually?

Because I only use MF lenses

Dec 02, 2017 at 01:44 AM
virtualrain
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · FM members A7R III first impressions

DannyBurkPhoto wrote:
Because I only use MF lenses

Well that's a smart ass answer

Dec 02, 2017 at 01:46 AM
Matt Grum
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · FM members A7R III first impressions

virtualrain wrote:

Shooting landscapes, where you want as much in focus as possible. With AF even if you can choose exactly where to focus that doesn't actually help. With MF you can zoom in on something in the distance, start at infinity focus and bring the focus plane forwards until the most distant objects are just starting to soften. That is then your maximum depth of field.

Dec 02, 2017 at 03:58 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · FM members A7R III first impressions

pleaseshoot wrote:
The image I could get from the A7rii exceeded anything I could get my Nikons but I always felt a disconnect.

Yeah, I know THAT feeling...!

pleaseshoot wrote:
.... this camera is a huge upgrade everywhere it counts. My favorite thing is how it gets out of the way so I can concentrate on getting the image I want.

PleaseShoot

.... EXACTLY what I wanted to hear.

(But not what the bank account or wife wanted to hear )

Dec 02, 2017 at 04:03 AM
Stoffer
• • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · FM members A7R III first impressions

Thanks for creating this thread, Fred, and to you all for your impressions and tips. This is the best photo community ever!

Dec 02, 2017 at 04:05 AM
Viramati
• • •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · FM members A7R III first impressions

Fred Miranda wrote:
  • I can edit all my A7R III images in Lightroom using exiftool and this command line:
    exiftool -sonymodelid="ILCE-7RM2" -ext ARW -r [drag folder here]
    !

Hi Fred
    I would really love a bit more explanation to this as I have been struggling to try and get this to work

1. Are the instructions for MacOs using the terminal window
    2. For -sonymodelid- are you actually typing this -"ILCE-7RM3"- and if not what are you typing

• Dec 02, 2017 at 04:54 AM
    Isaacheus
    • •
    p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · FM members A7R III first impressions

Haven't been able to find it on mine, but can the touch screen be used to take the shot, or only to select the focus area?

Dec 02, 2017 at 05:07 AM
    mcbroomf
    • • • • •
    p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · FM members A7R III first impressions

Fred Miranda wrote:
    As far as I can tell, only AF mode works with the touchscreen. So, I'm afraid the joystick is needed for MF control.

---------------------------------------------

RFMP wrote:
    I can only use the joystick as well for MF.

According to the help file a double tap should get you into magnify mode

"When the [Focus Mode] is set to [Manual Focus], the focus magnifier can be used by double-tapping the monitor."

'To use the focus magnifier function by touch operation

You can magnify the image and adjust the focus by touching the monitor.
    Set [Touch Operation] to [On] beforehand. When the focus mode is [Manual Focus], you can perform [Focus Magnifier] by double-tapping the area to focus on while shooting with the monitor. While shooting with the viewfinder, a frame is displayed in the center of the monitor by double-tapping and you can move the frame by dragging it. The image is magnified by pressing the center of the control wheel.

Hint :
    While using the focus magnifier function, you can move the magnified area by dragging it on the touch panel.
    To exit the focus magnifier function, double-tap the monitor again. When [AF in Focus Mag.] is set to [Off], the focus magnifier function is ended by pressing the shutter button halfway down."

Does this work? I always liked the ability on the 5 series Nex.

Mike

Dec 02, 2017 at 05:48 AM
    DavidBM
    • • • • •
    p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · FM members A7R III first impressions

mcbroomf wrote:
    ---------------------------------------------

According to the help file a double tap should get you into magnify mode

"When the [Focus Mode] is set to [Manual Focus], the focus magnifier can be used by double-tapping the monitor."

'To use the focus magnifier function by touch operation

You can magnify the image and adjust the focus by touching the monitor.
    Set [Touch Operation] to [On] beforehand. When the focus mode is [Manual Focus], you can perform [Focus Magnifier] by double-tapping the area to focus on while shooting with the monitor. While shooting with the viewfinder, a frame is displayed in the center of the monitor by double-tapping

Does this work? I always liked the ability on the 5 series Nex.

Mike
    ...Show more

Yes it does work!
    But only in touch panel mode, not in touch pad mode. Haven't tried in pad/panel auto.

Dec 02, 2017 at 06:07 AM
    DavidBM
    • • • • •
    p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · FM members A7R III first impressions

Fred Miranda wrote:

Following from @mcbroomf 's manual diving I tried double tapping in manual mode and sure enough it magnfies: but not if you are in touch pad mode, only touch panel mode.

Dec 02, 2017 at 06:08 AM
    mcbroomf
    • • • • •
    p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · FM members A7R III first impressions

DavidBM wrote:
    Following from @mcbroomf@ 's manual diving I tried double tapping in manual mode and sure enough it magnfies: but not if you are in touch pad mode, only touch panel mode.

Interesting. I had to go look up the difference.

According to the guide there is a mode that offers both. Does it double tap work in that mode?

"Menu item details
    Touch Panel+Pad: Activates both the touch panel operations when shooting with the monitor and touch pad operations when shooting with the viewfinder.
    Touch Panel Only: Activates only the touch panel operations when shooting with the monitor.
    Touch Pad Only: Activates only the touch pad operations when shooting with the viewfinder."

Dec 02, 2017 at 06:12 AM
    1       2      

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.