New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

3              27       28       end

FM members A7R III first impressions

Jack Thompson
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · FM members A7R III first impressions

I remember a friend asking me if the A7RII could autofocus while zoomed in via focus magnify. That is so cool that the A7RIII can do that. I'll definitely upgrade soon.

Dec 02, 2017 at 02:28 AM
mjc
• •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · FM members A7R III first impressions

Thanks Fred.... I was thinking hard about a used A7RII (plenty in the buy/sell forum) but the more I hear about the 'usability' upgrades of the III I might just jump with both feet. Especially good to the first impressions about manual focusing......

Dec 02, 2017 at 02:34 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · FM members A7R III first impressions

Going back to the magnify you can like the A9 in APS mode magnify the focusing. Very cool new feature. This is the little stuff missed by these reviewers.

Dec 02, 2017 at 02:39 AM
swldstn
• • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · FM members A7R III first impressions

Fred Miranda wrote:
Here is a really cool setting:

1) Set your "Joystick" center point to "Focus Magnifier".

2) Set Initial Focus Magnification to "6.2x"

Now you can move the joystick for MF and AF and focus magnify in either mode.

When in MF mode, you will be able to move the focusing point around and once you press the joystick center button, it will magnify the screen straight to 6.2x! (and pressing again to 12.4x)

The same in AF mode, except that pressing the joystick center button will allow AF in magnification mode. :-)

Does this work on the A9 by any chance?

Steve

Dec 02, 2017 at 03:12 AM
jamato8
• • • •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · FM members A7R III first impressions

Well got mine and playing with it. Focus good, single shot but trying to focus on an eye and it won't do it. Not eye recognition but the same just static single shot like with the II but it is out of focus? Focus on type or the keys of my computer wide open, spot on. Not sure why it won't focus on the eye, strange.

Dec 02, 2017 at 03:26 AM
doogie2304
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · FM members A7R III first impressions

jamato8 wrote:
Well got mine and playing with it. Focus good, single shot but trying to focus on an eye and it won't do it. Not eye recognition but the same just static single shot like with the II but it is out of focus? Focus on type or the keys of my computer wide open, spot on. Not sure why it won't focus on the eye, strange.

do you have "face priority in AF" (menu 1, page 6) set to on?

Dec 02, 2017 at 03:44 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · FM members A7R III first impressions

Eye AF need to be in continuous mode AFC and also set a custom button for it. I use AEL very hand

Dec 02, 2017 at 03:48 AM
Dj R
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · FM members A7R III first impressions

I never read the book for my past three camera purchases. D750 D500 D850.

With this beast, I realized quickly that I'll be reading quite a bit. Or I can just read this thread as y'all inform me!

Have a great weekend shooting everyone!

Dec 02, 2017 at 03:48 AM
RFMP
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · FM members A7R III first impressions

Focus Magnifier on joystick works on the a9 as well in AF-S, but not in AF-C on either. Also works in AF-A on 7RM3, the a9 does not have AF-A.

Edited on Dec 02, 2017 at 04:01 AM · View previous versions

Dec 02, 2017 at 03:49 AM
jamato8
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · FM members A7R III first impressions

doogie2304 wrote:
do you have "face priority in AF" (menu 1, page 6) set to on?

Thank you. That fixed it. I took it off.

Dec 02, 2017 at 04:01 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

DavidBM
• • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · FM members A7R III first impressions

OK am I crazy?
It seems to me, and I havenít confirmed it, that lenses which used to have variable focussing when manual focussing FBW are working in a linear way (two Batis and FE55)
Could they have overridden the firmware? Or is the evf so much better that the MF experience is easier?

EDIT I was crazy. Still non-linear but somehow better.
But something seems better, itís as though it takes a much bigger jump in speed to take the response of the lens up. Or itís just the evf.

Edited on Dec 02, 2017 at 04:32 AM · View previous versions

Dec 02, 2017 at 04:29 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #12 · p.2 #12 · FM members A7R III first impressions

DavidBM wrote:
OK am I crazy?
It seems to me, and I havenít confirmed it, that lenses which used to have variable focussing when manual focussing FBW are working in a linear way (two Batis and FE55)
Could they have overridden the firmware? Or is the evf so much better that the MF experience is easier?

I hope you are not crazy. I'm testing this right now...

Dec 02, 2017 at 04:31 AM
jamato8
• • • •
p.2 #13 · p.2 #13 · FM members A7R III first impressions

DavidBM wrote:
OK am I crazy?

For me it snaps in and out of focus. Easy to manual focus now. If that is what you meant.

Dec 02, 2017 at 04:32 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.2 #14 · p.2 #14 · FM members A7R III first impressions

Fred Miranda wrote:
I hope you are not crazy. I'm testing this right now...

Sorry was crazy. But it sort of seems thresholds may have changed...it seems to take a sharper twist to speed it up.

Or maybe the evf is sufficient,y good that the very small changes that you get on day B25 with slow movement are now more visible?

Dec 02, 2017 at 04:34 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #15 · p.2 #15 · FM members A7R III first impressions

I can tell you for sure that it's much easier to manual focus the 55/1.8 and 35/2.8 lenses now.

Dec 02, 2017 at 04:36 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.2 #16 · p.2 #16 · FM members A7R III first impressions

Fred Miranda wrote:
I can tell you for sure that it's much easier to manual focus the 55/1.8 and 35/2.8 lenses now.

Sure is.
(Well, havenít tried 2.8/35)

Itís remarkable. The B25 has gone from being a pig to focus manually to easy to nail.

It might just be that we can see the changes when we focus slowly better.

But it also seems more predictable, less twitchy - the focus travel stays the same unless you really spin the ring.

Which, if itís right, is how variable focus always should have been.

Dec 02, 2017 at 04:42 AM
pleaseshoot

p.2 #17 · p.2 #17 · FM members A7R III first impressions

I had an a7rii and before that a Nikon d800 + D4 (The D4 I kept)

The image I could get from the A7rii exceeded anything I could get my Nikons but I always felt a disconnect. Never got used to the menu system and things took much longer than they should have. Sooo it's only been a day and a half using A7riii but I'm already much more comfortable / confident using this over the rii.

Not finished customizing the buttons yet but so far I have;
Controle Wheel - ISO
C1 Focus Mode
C2 Focus Area
C3 Metering
C4 Touch Operation Sel
AF-On Eye AF
Centre Button Focus Magnifier

In the "My Menue" So far I have Format (Hallefrickenlujah) and APSC

Also set the Display quality to high. Maybe this option is here because standard is better for battery life?

Battery life is much better but I think the mechanical shutter eats up more than A9's electronic shutter. I'm definitely picking up a second even If I don't get the grip (like that'll happen). My pinkey still feels like it's hanging off a cliff and I refuse to get the mini grip that not only blocks the battery door, but takes away my 1/4 20. Apart from that my only other nitpick is the lens mount release. It's still on the same side where my other fingers rest. Haven't had a lens come off yet but it wouldn't make me as nervous if it were on the opposite side. The Lens mount definitely feels like a step up from the Rii. We get 2 extra screws and it's seems much tighter swapping lenses.

Viewfinder is beautiful! It's much nicer for manual focusing. I have been using this a lot, testing out 2 new copies of the 35mm f1.4. I think my testing needs work and I may start a new thread asking for help with that!

So overall I'm thoroughly impressed. Probably preaching to the quire here, but this camera is a huge upgrade everywhere it counts. My favorite thing is how it gets out of the way so I can concentrate on getting the image I want.

PleaseShoot

Dec 02, 2017 at 04:50 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.2 #18 · p.2 #18 · FM members A7R III first impressions

I'm playing with this thing all day since this morning and battery is still 55%...that's without even giving it a chance to fully charge it.

So, yes, the new battery is a big plus.

Dec 02, 2017 at 05:11 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.2 #19 · p.2 #19 · FM members A7R III first impressions

Now you folks know what the A9 is all about. This thing sounds so freaking cool. Canít wait. Even Fred is impressed.

Dec 02, 2017 at 05:15 AM
Bruce Sawle
• • • •
p.2 #20 · p.2 #20 · FM members A7R III first impressions

Cant wait for mine to arrive. UPS has delayed the delivery for the second straight day. I have a new 85GM along with my MC-11 and metabones adapter waiting to be mounted and used.

Dec 02, 2017 at 05:23 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password