New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              27       28       end

FM members A7R III first impressions

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · FM members A7R III first impressions

Didn't even wait for the battery to fully charge.

Here are my very first impressions:
  1. Looks very similar to the A7R II.

2. I can add pretty much any setting to custom buttons including APS-C crop. This was a bit frustrating on the A7R II.

3. The buttons feel more responsive and tactile.

4. The RRS bracket (A9 model) fits very nicely.

5. EyeAF works with the Techart Pro adapter + A7R III. I tested it with my CV 35/1.7 and focus performance in continuous mode was just ok with some hunting.

6. On my copy, there are no dead pixels on the LCD and the sensor to mount is perfectly parallel.

7. Manual focus is improved and it's easier to nail focus with the new viewfinder.

8. I can edit all my A7R III images in Lightroom using exiftool and this command line:
    exiftool -sonymodelid="ILCE-7RM2" -ext ARW -r [drag folder here]

9. Love "My Menu". No more fiddling around trying to find a setting.

10. Mount feels much sturdier. My lenses attached a bit tighter to the body. With my Loxia lenses, it's even harder to mount/un-mount compared to the A7R II. (Not necessary a bad thing)

I will be updating this thread as soon as I take some sample images and learn more about the camera.

Those receiving their cameras today, feel free to post your first impressions here!

Dec 01, 2017 at 10:49 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · FM members A7R III first impressions

Great stuff Fred. Canít wait

Dec 01, 2017 at 11:03 PM
MaTiHH

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · FM members A7R III first impressions

Do European users who have their camera for 2 weeks now count?

The viewfinder is a revelation!!

Putting ISO on the back wheel is now possible without it changing unwantedly.

GPS connection is reliable now without having to think about it.

TouchPad functionality is wonderful!!

There is so much to discover...

Dec 01, 2017 at 11:07 PM
ajamils
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · FM members A7R III first impressions

Fred,

On a scale of 1-5, how good is the AF and overall operation speed compared to A7rII ?

Dec 01, 2017 at 11:12 PM
mjm6
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · FM members A7R III first impressions

VERY interested in the comment about manual focusing, since I seem to do that a lot... is that because of the higher resolution in the VF or some other reason (contrast, or contrast detect tool)?

One of my biggest complaints of the older 'R' models is that the contrast detect function is often too heavy handed at no magnification, and effectively invisible at higher magnifications, so it becomes a somewhat blunt instrument in many cases. They need to implement a magnification-based multiplier in the function that takes into account the lens focal length, the VF magnification, and probably also the focus distance to set the contrast thresholds.

---Michael

Dec 01, 2017 at 11:21 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · FM members A7R III first impressions

What I think will be really interesting is to hear folks upgrading from the A7rII to the A7rIII but on the same token hearing from the speed freaks of the A9 to the A7rIII. This should be a lot of fun discussing it.

Dec 01, 2017 at 11:22 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · FM members A7R III first impressions

I just noticed that as soon as you flip the LCD (just a little), the viewfinder/LCD sensor is disabled. This is a nice touch and an important feature for those shooting at waist level while looking at the LCD.

Dec 01, 2017 at 11:35 PM
Mystik
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · FM members A7R III first impressions

Yes first thing I noticed out of the box is how much better the EVF is.

Dec 01, 2017 at 11:36 PM
3catsinky
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · FM members A7R III first impressions

must.stay.off.this.thread

congrats on the new gear!

Dec 02, 2017 at 12:30 AM
realVivek
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · FM members A7R III first impressions

All the improvments are delightful! I will wait a while to check if the A7III with the A9 sensor shows up.

Dec 02, 2017 at 12:45 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

Arka
• • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · FM members A7R III first impressions

How does the AF compare to the A9?

Dec 02, 2017 at 12:50 AM
GabrielPhoto
• • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · FM members A7R III first impressions

I'm getting an R2 loaner tomorrow so i can do some videos comparing the two with native and adapted lenses with both mc-11 and metabones but for now all i can say is I'm blown away by it. The Eye AF is unreal and that is just one of many amazing features.

Dec 02, 2017 at 12:59 AM
Leonberger

p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · FM members A7R III first impressions

This to me is the most important question to be answered for those not currently shooting with Sony. Yes there are reviews out there but I donít trust them. I want to see someone push this autofocus hard, will be drooling over a review of someone shooting a full wedding with it.

Arka wrote:
How does the AF compare to the A9?

Dec 02, 2017 at 01:06 AM
DavidBM
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · FM members A7R III first impressions

OK my first impressions!

Pixel shift is serious. There is more difference between a pixel shifted image and a normal one than between top of the line lenses and ordinary ones. It looks like what I imagine a 120MP Bayer image downrezzed to 42 would look like. In some ways I'm sad; I didn't want a higher MP camera, but this has given me an appetite for one so I can have this level of IQ without messing with pixel shift.

Much better customisation

The buttons feel more responsive, though I'm not sure I think stiffer is better for buttons.

New back dial stiff enough for ISO without knocking off the setting. Yay!

New EVF looks better, at first I hoped for even better (you can just tell there are pixels) but then when I focussed manually: wow!!

Manual focus is improved and it's easier to nail focus with the new viewfinder.

I can edit all my A7R III images in Lightroom using exiftool and this command line:
exiftool -sonymodelid="ILCE-7RM2" -ext ARW -r [drag folder here]

"My Menu". About time!!

Mount a bit tighter, which I think is kind of encouraging.

Damn built in remote doesn't allow focussing via smartphone. That's the only negative so far (except that it's a bit uglier than the R2, which was in turn a lot uglier than the R, but hey who cares)

Using a cheap Fittest brand L-Bracket for the A9 which fits fine and doesn't scratch (at least mine doesn't). I have compete confidence in its base plat. The L part is fine for occasional use, but not I think for huge lenses in vertical mode or constant use.

8fps is awesome with much, much better tracking.

EDIT: Oops I see some of Fred's observations I was replying to are left in my list!

Edited on Dec 02, 2017 at 02:55 AM · View previous versions

Dec 02, 2017 at 01:09 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · FM members A7R III first impressions

Here is a really cool setting:

1) Set your "Joystick" center point to "Focus Magnifier".

2) Set Initial Focus Magnification to "6.2x"

Now you can move the joystick for MF and AF and focus magnify in either mode.

When in MF mode, you will be able to move the focusing point (not the big square) around and once you press the joystick center button, it will magnify the screen straight to 6.2x! (and pressing again to 12.4x)

The same in AF mode, except that pressing the joystick center button will allow AF in magnification mode. :-)

Dec 02, 2017 at 01:10 AM
Alex W

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · FM members A7R III first impressions

Only was able to try mine for a very short time today. EVF is great and much improved! I did try some action shots today. Pictures of my dogs playing and even running towards me and there was no problem with the focusing and tracking. Much better than my RII. Also love that the LCD does not dim in movie mode. Camera feels great and very well built. Cant wait to get out shooting this weekend! So far all I can say is Sony I think you have a winner!

Dec 02, 2017 at 01:14 AM
bwcolor
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · FM members A7R III first impressions

Can anyone checkout at what minimum f-stop pdaf is active? A7Rii is f/8.0 And A9 is f/11...A7Riii thanks

Dec 02, 2017 at 01:24 AM
Mystik
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · FM members A7R III first impressions

With native glass, I think most would be hard pressed to tell the difference in AF performance between the a7rIII and a9 TBH.

a7rII's AF tracking has always been pretty good. Where it improves in the mark III is with the continuous live-view EVF and with that, the ability to maintain focus while burst firing. Pretty big improvement there.

Anyone else notice that in the H+ continuous shooting you get blackout free burst shooting? You don't get the continuous live-view though, so the image in the EVF kind of stutters, but its pretty cool.

Dec 02, 2017 at 01:32 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · FM members A7R III first impressions

Fred Miranda wrote:
Here is a really cool setting:

1) Set your "Joystick" center point to "Focus Magnifier".

2) Set Initial Focus Magnification to "6.2x"

Now you can move the joystick for MF and AF and focus magnify in either mode.

When in MF mode, you will be able to move the focusing point around and once you press the joystick center button, it will magnify the screen straight to 6.2x! (and pressing again to 12.4x)

The same in AF mode, except that pressing the joystick center button will allow AF in magnification mode. :-)

This is exactly what Iím after Fred.joystick to move press to magnify. It also gives us a extra C function

Dec 02, 2017 at 01:47 AM
lightskyland
• •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · FM members A7R III first impressions

Mine came today too. Haven't used it yet, charging the battery now.

Dec 02, 2017 at 02:08 AM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password