Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · What would be the best approach?

GabrielS1

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · What would be the best approach?

Many times when I have only one subject in the frame and I need to crop it I actually do not know what would be the best approach. I always use to try several options but most times I end up dissatisfied.

Here you are an example:

I do not know if the best option is to place the subject following the rule of thirds in order to get a well balanced image, or if it is better to place the subject decentered leaving a little more room for the bird to walk into on the viewers right. Or on the contrary, to place the subject on the right trying to play with the trail in the water he is leaving behind. Would it be better to place it in the top third or in the lower third?

The thing is that I use to finish with something like this:

Any feedback on this would be more than welcome.

Many thanks.
Gabriel

Dec 01, 2017 at 04:32 PM
sum1sgrampa
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · What would be the best approach?

GabrielS1 wrote:
Many times when I have only one subject in the frame and I need to crop it I actually do not know what would be the best approach. I always use to try several options but most times I end up dissatisfied.

Here you are an example:
http://GabrielS.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-3/p2653927547-5.jpg

I do not know if the best option is to place the subject following the rule of thirds in order to get a well balanced image, or if it is better to place the subject decentered leaving a little more room for the bird to walk into on the viewers right. Or on
...Show more

Pretty shot ! I often struggle with the same thing. My thoughts are, if the water trail, etc. adds to the story or it seems interesting I will leave it and not worry about the subject exiting the frame. For example :

Dec 01, 2017 at 04:39 PM
morris
• • • • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · What would be the best approach?

I agree about trail. Also, when you have a reflection then centering the image between the two views is what is recommended

Morris

Dec 01, 2017 at 06:46 PM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · What would be the best approach?

GabrielS1 wrote:

Here you are an example:
http://GabrielS.zenfolio.com/img/s/v-3/p2653927547-5.jpg

I do not know if the best option is to place the subject following the rule of thirds in order to get a well balanced image, or if it is better to place the subject decentered leaving a little more room for the bird to walk into on the viewers right. Or on
...Show more

Are you okay if I (we) take your original and show the crop we would choose?

I find ducks on water require different rules than most perched birds. I have certain ways I prefer. Depends on action, reflections and a few other things. Most often I will leave minimal water below the duck, much more canvas ahead of the duck and often I won't use the native 3:2 ratio as I find it doesn't work for this type of subject. A more custom crop closer to a 16:9 works better to me.

Dec 01, 2017 at 06:50 PM
GabrielS1

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · What would be the best approach?

Thanks a lot sum1sgrampa and Morris for your valuable comments, all them will be taken into account.

Arbitrage (and anyone else) , please feel free to crop my original the way you prefer to show your option. I would appreciate it.

Dec 01, 2017 at 07:22 PM
Imagemaster
• • • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · What would be the best approach?

I generally leave more room in front of the subject and more room underneath.

Dec 01, 2017 at 11:09 PM
armd
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · What would be the best approach?

To that end, generally you'll find that it's better to leave more room in the frame where the motion is taking the subject or where the subject is gazing. Whether you use rule of thirds, golden rule, or whatever, move the crop tool around to see what is pleasing to your eye. That becomes even more important when dealing with reflections or when trying to create a story.

Here's a link to general compositional issues but it includes cropping: http://www.naturephotographysimplified.com/bird-photography/9-bird-photography-composition-mistakes-avoid/

Dec 02, 2017 at 12:18 AM
Greg Lavaty
• •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · What would be the best approach?

I would suggest anything that is not dead center in the frame or with the bird's head near and facing out of the frame is a good start. Sometimes you just have to play around with it and see what looks good to you.

Dec 02, 2017 at 08:23 AM
juankgigo
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · What would be the best approach?

Nice try on both images.

First, get yourself a blind, if too expensive you can make your own, they are not hard to make, I made my own long ago.

Second, try to get at the same level with your subject, it will create a more intimate image.

Thanks for sharing.

Juan

Dec 02, 2017 at 09:28 AM
GabrielS1

p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · What would be the best approach?

Thank you all for your helping comments, imagemaster (very nice pics by the way!), Armd (many thanks for the link), Greg and Juan.

Dec 02, 2017 at 10:36 AM
birdied
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · What would be the best approach?

Nice shot. If you are not opposed and your image does not give you enough room to play with the crop, you can add canvas . In this case, I would add canvas to the right side and crop so that the bird is not in the center.

Hate to fool with your shot without permission, so if you wish I can show you what I mean.

Below is example of what I did.
First shot is original , nothing done to it.
Second shot , I added a bit of canvas to the left side

Birdie

Original shot, too centered

Added some canvas to the left

Dec 02, 2017 at 06:31 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.