Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · A7R3 / Canon EF lens thread???

Sy Sez
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · A7R3 / Canon EF lens thread???

As a Canon "shooter", seriously considering the SONY A7R3; myself, & hopefully others, would be interested in others experiences with the A7R3 coupled with Canon EF lenses, Adapters, etc.

Dec 01, 2017 at 02:34 PM
Isaacheus
• •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · A7R3 / Canon EF lens thread???

Picked up mine last week, using a sigma mc-11

So far so good, although I came from a 6d so my autofocus expectations may not be like others.
40mm pancake, 16-35 f4, 70-200mm f4is, and sigma art 35 all work well. Some don't have all modes available but eye af seems to be present on all

Sigma 150-600 is a bit slow in low light, but that's no different to when I had it on the 5dmk3, need to try in good light. Still faster than the 6d though

Dec 01, 2017 at 03:52 PM
Douglas L
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · A7R3 / Canon EF lens thread???

Isaacheus wrote:

So far so good, although I came from a 6d so my autofocus expectations may not be like others.
40mm pancake, 16-35 f4, 70-200mm f4is, and sigma art 35 all work well. Some don't have all modes available but eye af seems to be present on all

Sigma 150-600 is a bit slow in low light, but that's no different to when I had it on the 5dmk3, need to try in good light. Still faster than the 6d though

Is your Sigma 150-600 the "C" or the "S"? I would love to see if the A7RIII + MC-11 + Sigma S could AF tracking large birds (eagles, ducks....) in flight at 600mm.

Enjoy!

Dec 01, 2017 at 04:33 PM
Isaacheus
• •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · A7R3 / Canon EF lens thread???

kdrk888 wrote:
Is your Sigma 150-600 the "C" or the "S"? I would love to see if the A7RIII + MC-11 + Sigma S could AF tracking large birds (eagles, ducks....) in flight at 600mm.

Enjoy!

Just the C version - I'm heading to a spot in a few weeks where there may be a few birds flying about, going to try it out there. Not sure if its the best place for testing BIF overall though due to the species likely to be present but will try and update this then

Dec 01, 2017 at 09:54 PM
JD5150
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · A7R3 / Canon EF lens thread???

I'm in the same boat with the 6D. I have been itching to upgrade and still have a 5DIV in my cart. ! Something about the A7RIII is keeping me from doing it. Being mostly invested in Canon glass right now for full frame I am hoping that adapting will be pretty good, certainly would be better than the AF system in the 6D.

-JD

Isaacheus wrote:

Dec 01, 2017 at 10:55 PM
Isaacheus
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · A7R3 / Canon EF lens thread???

JD5150 wrote:
I'm in the same boat with the 6D. I have been itching to upgrade and still have a 5DIV in my cart. ! Something about the A7RIII is keeping me from doing it. Being mostly invested in Canon glass right now for full frame I am hoping that adapting will be pretty good, certainly would be better than the AF system in the 6D.

-JD

Yeah - don't get me wrong, the af is considerably better then the 6d overall so far, and likely just as good as the 5dmk3 from my limited use so far. Wouldn't want to claim it's faster than both canons at this point, but that's due to not having that much time with it, and I'm still getting used to all the af functions

The af isn't why I went to the Sony rather than up to the 5dmk4, not sure I'd have done that if fastest af on canon glass was my aim. Plenty of other reasons to swap in my particular situation though. We'll have to see if I still think that in a year or so

Dec 01, 2017 at 11:00 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · A7R3 / Canon EF lens thread???

The customization and other settings of the A7RIII is mind-boggling in terms of how much it can do. I suspect most owners won't use all of those features.

Dec 01, 2017 at 11:14 PM
jamato8
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · A7R3 / Canon EF lens thread???

All the glass is Canon that I use except for a couple of manual focus lenses and I have many Canon lenses. For the most part the III works fine with them. I use the 24-70 II most of the time with Metabones IV (have 2 metabones) and everything fits tight and no play. The Metabones fits tighter on the III than the A7RII.

Dec 01, 2017 at 11:21 PM
JD5150
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · A7R3 / Canon EF lens thread???

Isaacheus wrote:
Yeah - don't get me wrong, the af is considerably better then the 6d overall so far, and likely just as good as the 5dmk3 from my limited use so far. Wouldn't want to claim it's faster than both canons at this point, but that's due to not having that much time with it, and I'm still getting used to all the af functions

The af isn't why I went to the Sony rather than up to the 5dmk4, not sure I'd have done that if fastest af on canon glass was my aim. Plenty of other reasons to swap
...Show more

Absolutely on the AF. It's a bonus, but there are many other features for me personally to look at the Sony. One of which is size. Eventually I'd like just a couple primes for hiking to do landscapes with. I have some experience with the A7R2 and some of the things I didn't like have been addressed in this new version. I was also pretty happy using the A7R2 with all of my old FD lenses.

-JD

Dec 01, 2017 at 11:28 PM

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.