New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

Archive 2017 · Banff/Icefield Parkway area in Feb

mwalrod
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Banff/Icefield Parkway area in Feb

Hoping to get some input on a trip to this area the 1st or 2nd week in February. I would likely plan to visit a lot of the popular spots between Canmore and the Icefields parkway (Peyto, Morraine, Bow lakes, etc) and trying to get an idea of possible issues accessing these areas. Are the parking lots plowed? Snowshoes required?

I plan to fly into Calgary and stay at a hotel near the intersection of the Bow Valley Parkway and hwy 1, possibly the Baker Creek lodge.

Any input or suggestions for locations to visit would be much appreciated!

Nov 30, 2017 at 12:10 PM
msoomro
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Banff/Icefield Parkway area in Feb

I have seen this discussed before. have you tried searching the forum.. just a though :-)

Nov 30, 2017 at 06:05 PM
mwalrod
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Banff/Icefield Parkway area in Feb

Nothing posted pertaining to winter that I could find, but nice of you to chime in.

msoomro wrote:
I have seen this discussed before. have you tried searching the forum.. just a though :-)

Nov 30, 2017 at 06:10 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Banff/Icefield Parkway area in Feb

You might try a PM to forum member Scott Stoness. He lives up there and shoots that area all year.

Dec 02, 2017 at 09:37 AM
tmiller9
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Banff/Icefield Parkway area in Feb

Well, let me save you a bit of research (although I would follow the others advice)....

Was there last year about the same time - and will be going again this year.

Roads are well maintained - although you will want a heavier 4 wheel drive vehicle. The Parkway - although plowed - was pretty slippery. I didn't have any issues - but if your not used to driving on slick roads - be careful.

Access was good - all spots (traditional stuff) - I was able to get to

Snowshoes can be good if you want to do some exploring - not necessary - but if you've got the room - not a bad idea. I didn't use them - and didn't really miss them.

Crampons - bring a good pair. Impossible to navigate the frozen lakes/rivers without them.

Speaking of which - if you do venture onto the frozen areas - be careful. Try and scout during daylight if your plan is to shoot in the morning. Some areas (especially frozen rivers) can look ok - but will have some "thin" spots. You don't want to become a popsicle.

Prepare to drive a lot.

Hope that helps

Todd

Dec 02, 2017 at 11:15 AM
fongrh

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Banff/Icefield Parkway area in Feb

Unless there is a major snow storm road conditions from Canmore to the Ice Field Parkway should not be a problem provided your vehicle is well winterized; 4 X 4 is recommended. The scenery from HWY 93 once you turn off HWY 1 going north all the way to HWY 11 is pretty spectacular and won't have to venture too far off the road. A short hike for some exploring off the highway at pull outs could yield some nice pics. The Bow Summit lookout is a bit of a hike that overlooks Peyto Lake and worth checking out. Snowshoes would be recommended if the trail is not packed down.

I would recommend the short hike into Johnson Canyon that is off the Bow Valley Parkway. The frozen upper and lower waterfalls are quite picturesque. The trail can be pretty icy if well pack down. If so, ice cleats will definitely help but not absolutely necessary.

If you have extra time, consider spending a day or two in Canmore to explore the Smith Dorrien trail and HWY 40 in the Kananaskis country. You can access the Smith Dorrien from Canmore, take it all the way south to HWY 40, then turn north on HWY 40 to HWY 1 and back west to Canmore for an excellent loop. Better chances for wildlife sightings than off the Ice Field parkway.

Hope this information helps.

Dec 03, 2017 at 03:21 PM
mwalrod
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Banff/Icefield Parkway area in Feb

Thanks everyone for the information and suggestions. Lot's of very helpful tips.

Mark

Dec 03, 2017 at 07:25 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Banff/Icefield Parkway area in Feb

mwalrod wrote:
Hoping to get some input on a trip to this area the 1st or 2nd week in February. I would likely plan to visit a lot of the popular spots between Canmore and the Icefields parkway (Peyto, Morraine, Bow lakes, etc) and trying to get an idea of possible issues accessing these areas. Are the parking lots plowed? Snowshoes required?

I plan to fly into Calgary and stay at a hotel near the intersection of the Bow Valley Parkway and hwy 1, possibly the Baker Creek lodge.

Any input or suggestions for locations to visit would be much appreciated!

Peyto requires snowshoes
Morraine is not advisable - you can xx ski there but you have to cross a big avalance chute
Bow lake is always good - snowshoes are necessary to get to good spot
Roads are plowed and generally good. Moraine is closed and turned into a xx ski route

At this time of year I like:
Vermilllion Lake just past 2nd one near hot springs in bush - bring insulated rubber boots
Under the bridge at Castle Junction - bring high rubber boots to stand in water
Emerald Lake - snowshoes provide more choice but you can walk on others tracks
Peyto Lookout - snowwhoes are necessary
Bow lake - snowhoes are necessary
Just south of Fowl Lake - snowshoes are necessary
Abraham Lake methane Bubbles - just walk on ice.

Bring warm clothes. Spot (cell will not work). Layered.

Animals will be hard to find. There will be elk in early AM near minnwanka. and bighorn on the 1a to exshaw or at the golf course at Radium Hot springs.

You can rent snow shoes in Banff or Lake Louise (Chateau).

Scott

Dec 05, 2017 at 10:36 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Banff/Icefield Parkway area in Feb

Btw - Baker Creek Chalet is not as easy to access right now. There is construction from Baker Creek Chalet to Lake Louise entrance on Bow Valley Trail, for several months, so you can only go east from here. It will take you 40 minutes to get to Lake Louise with a trip all the way back to castle junction and then return.

I suggest Castle Mountain Bunglalows for less driving and better access.

Dec 05, 2017 at 09:10 PM
mwalrod
• •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Banff/Icefield Parkway area in Feb

Scott,

Thank you for all the very helpful suggestions. This will definitely take out a lot of the guess work. Really looking forward to this trip.

Mark

Dec 06, 2017 at 09:27 AM
mwalrod
• •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Banff/Icefield Parkway area in Feb

Scott Stoness wrote:
Btw - Baker Creek Chalet is not as easy to access right now. There is construction from Baker Creek Chalet to Lake Louise entrance on Bow Valley Trail, for several months, so you can only go east from here. It will take you 40 minutes to get to Lake Louise with a trip all the way back to castle junction and then return.

I suggest Castle Mountain Bunglalows for less driving and better access.

Did you mean Castle Mountain Chalets?

Dec 06, 2017 at 09:30 AM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Banff/Icefield Parkway area in Feb

mwalrod wrote:
Did you mean Castle Mountain Chalets?

Yes - http://castlemountain.com/accommodations/

I have not stayed there. My understanding is:
1) some rooms are more rustic
2) some are more updated
3) it does not have a restaurant (but I don't like Baker Creek restaurant anyway because of its pretensiousnese - they would not cook my steak well done when I asked ----and you can drive there in 15 minutes anyway)
4) its a great location in the middle of all opportunities for photographs
5) you will have to drive 20 minutes to anything with people
6) it has a corner store which is quite good but pricey
7) they are very friendly
8) equidistant to Banff and Lake Louise (20 minutes). 10 minutes from johnstone canyon.
9) Opportunity for elk on the 1a to Banff (sometimes moose) - wolves have moved on but the hotel says that they saw wolves a month ago - I am suspicious of coyote - New Zealand staff. Its possible but I have not seen them.
10) expect sketchy internet but better than baker creek because a cell tower is close as compared to baker creek which is in a dead zone.

Dec 06, 2017 at 02:56 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Banff/Icefield Parkway area in Feb

fongrh wrote:
Unless there is a major snow storm road conditions from Canmore to the Ice Field Parkway should not be a problem provided your vehicle is well winterized; 4 X 4 is recommended. The scenery from HWY 93 once you turn off HWY 1 going north all the way to HWY 11 is pretty spectacular and won't have to venture too far off the road. A short hike for some exploring off the highway at pull outs could yield some nice pics. The Bow Summit lookout is a bit of a hike that overlooks Peyto Lake and worth checking out. Snowshoes
...Show more

My thoughts -

Johnson Canyon yup for water but not the ideal season - water flow is light - but bring yak tracks (not crampons) - it will be very slippery. There is one spot where there is a horsehoe bend that is very nice but hard to find and get down to. PM me if that's your plan. But otherwise, I would do my list first. I don't like this spot mid day because it is a freeway of tourist and I would only go early am after a snowfall to hide the previous day bootprints.

Smith Dorrain - don't expect to see much wilflife on his road in February. I have not seen a moose in a while. February is a very quiet animal month - the snow is deep and they are not moving. For landscape, Banff is better because Kananasksi is north south and Banff is east/west (sunrise /sunset).If you go - go for snowhoeing up higher for nightfall /and back down in the dark or intimate shots. Buller creek is best bet with Rubber boots.Or on a rare occasion, under the bridge on highway 40 at the ski-hill but south enough to avoid the distribution line. This only works with clear skies but when it does it is spectacular.
Bighorns can be on highway 40.

In short, I would stay in Banff and to my original list for February unless you have lots of time.

Feel free to develop/post an intinerary and PM me to offer comments if its helpful.

Dec 06, 2017 at 03:32 PM
GroovyGeek
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Banff/Icefield Parkway area in Feb

fongrh wrote:
The scenery from HWY 93 once you turn off HWY 1 going north all the way to HWY 11 is pretty spectacular

Probably meant HYW95. 11 is in Ontario :-)

fongrh wrote:
If you have extra time, consider spending a day or two in Canmore to explore the Smith Dorrien trail and HWY 40 in the Kananaskis country.

Just be especially careful driving the Smith Dorrien. It is a well maintained dirt road with no safety barriers. If you start skidding the first place you stop is a ravine or a river/lake. I know someone who ended up with a rental car under water on NYE, they were lucky to get out with just a bit of frostbite because someone else drove by.

Dec 06, 2017 at 03:57 PM
mwalrod
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Banff/Icefield Parkway area in Feb

Scott Stoness wrote:
Yes - http://castlemountain.com/accommodations/

I have not stayed there. My understanding is:
1) some rooms are more rustic
2) some are more updated
3) it does not have a restaurant (but I don't like Baker Creek restaurant anyway because of its pretensiousnese - they would not cook my steak well done when I asked ----and you can drive there in 15 minutes anyway)
4) its a great location in the middle of all opportunities for photographs
5) you will have to drive 20 minutes to anything with people
6) it has a corner store which is quite good but pricey
7) they are very friendly
8) equidistant to Banff
...Show more

Thanks again, Scott. I booked flights and a room at Castle Mtn 2/15-2/22.

Dec 07, 2017 at 09:22 AM
fongrh

p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Banff/Icefield Parkway area in Feb

HWY 11, also known as David Thompson HWY, turns off the Icefield Parkway at Saskatchewan River Crossing. You would take HWY 11 if going east to Abraham Lake, approximately half hour drive. Only been there in the fall, good setting for sunsets. I can imagine nice winter sunset shots over the frozen lake.

Dec 12, 2017 at 01:33 PM
Scott Stoness
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Banff/Icefield Parkway area in Feb

fongrh wrote:
HWY 11, also known as David Thompson HWY, turns off the Icefield Parkway at Saskatchewan River Crossing. You would take HWY 11 if going east to Abraham Lake, approximately half hour drive. Only been there in the fall, good setting for sunsets. I can imagine nice winter sunset shots over the frozen lake.

Consider staying at https://www.aurumlodge.com/english/english.htm for a night if you want methane bubbles on Abraham Lake. They do photography events for same and will tell you where to go safely.

You could do it without Arum advise but finding your spot in the dark and walking on a frozen lake may not be something that makes you comfortable. its eary to walk on ice and look down and see fish and wonder if its thick enough. Let me know if you going alone and maybe I will be available and do some scouting.

Dec 13, 2017 at 08:56 PM
barrywinnipeg

p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Banff/Icefield Parkway area in Feb

Sorry for the late posting .Procrastination is in my nature.
My wife and I have stayed at Castle Mountain Chalets many times.
I think you will like it as long as you're not a light sleeper. Many trains go by at day and night long with fairly loud
whistles. Bothers some people, but I just consider the large part the railways played in development of Banff, etc
& I actually find it soothing, even at night.

We always get a Pine cabin as we like the King bed. The Cedar cabins are a little smaller & cheaper with a queen bed.
Nice thing about them is you park almost right at your door so great for grabbing you gear & going.I think that also applys to most but not all the rooms.

Time permitting I recommend driving Highway 93 south to Radium Hot Springs. Some nice mountain views

Jan 17, 2018 at 05:49 PM
CanNik
• •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Banff/Icefield Parkway area in Feb

This is a late reply but I hope you get to read it before you're there. No one mentioned Morant's Curve. It's very close to Lake Louise. Here's the geo coordinates:
51°23'59.0"N 116°07'42.9"W

Hopefully you get to shoot it with a train passing by the curve. I'm not even sure if there's train service during winter time. I was there 3 years ago during Fall season.

Jan 19, 2018 at 05:27 PM
dalite
• • • • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Banff/Icefield Parkway area in Feb

Icefield Parkway is a toll road up near Jasper. Check out the Tourism Visitor's Center in Banff first for more info.

Jan 20, 2018 at 12:57 AM
       2       end

FM Forums | Trip Location Advice & Meet-ups | Join Upload & Sell

2       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.