Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2017 · Anyone switch from Buff Einsteins to Godox AD600 ?

jzucker
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Anyone switch from Buff Einsteins to Godox AD600 ?

i am going to keep both systems for now.

Dec 04, 2017 at 08:53 PM
njfantastico
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Anyone switch from Buff Einsteins to Godox AD600 ?

jzucker wrote:
Thanks NJ. Did you find low profile adapters to replace the ones in your buff softboxes?

Zucker.

I had always purchased speedrings for all of my softboxes, so, i simply traded out the insert. To be honest, i've never done it any other way. Seems like the best way to buy gear these days, universal.

When i sold my Buff lights, i just included them in the package for the next person.

Dec 05, 2017 at 08:28 AM
jzucker
• • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Anyone switch from Buff Einsteins to Godox AD600 ?

njfantastico wrote:
Zucker.

I had always purchased speedrings for all of my softboxes, so, i simply traded out the insert. To be honest, i've never done it any other way. Seems like the best way to buy gear these days, universal.

When i sold my Buff lights, i just included them in the package for the next person.

i think you missed the point. I'm talking about lower profile rings so the entire of the flash tube is exposed to the softbox. In some of the taller adapter rings, part of the flash tube is hitting the inside of the ring instead of the softbox.

Dec 31, 2017 at 08:03 AM
Fotografpaul
• • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Anyone switch from Buff Einsteins to Godox AD600 ?

AD600 has a peculiar design of the flash tube, it's shooting forward more then to the sides (even if you have it properly seated in the ring)

A bare AD600 to bulb will create quite a hotspot, opposed to a horse shoe flash tube that will give a much more even spread.

Dec 31, 2017 at 08:51 AM
hijazist
• • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Anyone switch from Buff Einsteins to Godox AD600 ?

It's worth mentioning that the new R2Pro remote is a huge improvement over the previous R2; now you can lock in your TTL value similar to my previous Profoto TTL-N. I've been using the system for over 2 years now and I haven't had a single issue. HSS is great and TTL is accurate although I am mostly using it in manual now. I got the AC adaptor for studio use, but I haven't used it yet cause the battery hasn't died on me yet.

The thing that made me switch from Profoto (obviously other than price), is that they work great with the Li-Ion Flashpoint speedlights. Often in events I only need one strobe and 2-3 speedlights, and they all work seamlessly together even in TTL with no wires, receivers, etc... Profoto came out with the A1 but 3-4 speedlights will cost me $4000; just plain ridiculous, and with back ups, remotes and B1's that's almost $10000.

The main negative thing is weight, but that's a given with battery-powered strobes, and I use it with the bulb extension sometimes when weight is an issue. The handle is flimsy and the angle adjustment is way better built and more accurate on the Profoto B1. Finally, I am generally not a huge fan of the Bowens mount but it's very common and better priced.

Edited on Dec 31, 2017 at 07:31 PM · View previous versions

Dec 31, 2017 at 04:58 PM
hijazist
• • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Anyone switch from Buff Einsteins to Godox AD600 ?

Elijah, how are you mixing your speedlights with the B1's? I am sure the A1 will be on your watch list.

Happy new year everyone

Dec 31, 2017 at 07:28 PM
jzucker
• • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Anyone switch from Buff Einsteins to Godox AD600 ?

By the way, the new AD600 Pro that godox recently announced and for which adorama is currently showing as preorder addresses almost every concern mentioned by me and others. They have switched to a horseshoe style flash like profoto/buff/everyone else , they have gone to a 400w modeling light and the flash tube sits more forward which allows the whole tube to be inside the softbox instead of partially within the adapter ring. Additionally, they have improved the angle adjustment lever.

About the only complaint I have with the new unit is that the tube is not compatible with the older one. I worry about parts moving forward in time if they deprecate the original model...

https://www.adorama.com/fplfx600ptb.html

Jan 05, 2018 at 01:44 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Lighting & Studio Techniques | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.