FM Forum Rules
Nature & Wildlife Posting Guidelines

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Bosque del Apache bird abundance

Lutefisker
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Bosque del Apache bird abundance

I've seen some posts recently that there are relatively few birds at Bosque del Apache. Is that still the case?

Nov 29, 2017 at 09:11 PM
RandyR
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Bosque del Apache bird abundance

20k or 1k, there’s still too many to shoot
I leave tomorrow and I prefer the warmer temps even if we get less birds,

Nov 30, 2017 at 03:40 AM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Bosque del Apache bird abundance

According to trenchmonkey the numbers are increasing daily and there are now lots of Sandies and Snow Geese roosting in the pools and flight deck.

Nov 30, 2017 at 11:42 AM
louie champan
• • • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Bosque del Apache bird abundance

I'm leaving for Bosque on Tuesday there's always plenty of birds. What people forget is that there are numerous other type wildlife there other than just birds. But as Randy has said there will be far more that you can shoot under any condition.
While I'm writing this I got an email telling me that there is at least 8-10K cranes and between 10-15k snow geese with thousands of ducks, so there'll be plenty to shoot.

Nov 30, 2017 at 12:03 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Bosque del Apache bird abundance

Depends on where they roost. I am more interested in shooting the Sandies. When we were there last January 95% of the Sandies congregated in Bernardo. The crane pools in Bosque del Apache had only a handful of cranes ... so we couldn't shoot the incoming and outgoing Sandies at the pools, which was a real bummer.

louie champan wrote:
I'm leaving for Bosque on Tuesday there's always plenty of birds. What people forget is that there are numerous other type wildlife there other than just birds. But as Randy has said there will be far more that you can shoot under any condition.
While I'm writing this I got an email telling me that there is at least 8-10K cranes and between 10-15k snow geese with thousands of ducks, so there'll be plenty to shoot.

Nov 30, 2017 at 02:42 PM
louie champan
• • • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Bosque del Apache bird abundance

bobbytan wrote:
Depends on where they roost. I am more interested in shooting the Sandies. When we were there last January 95% of the Sandies congregated in Bernardo. The crane pools in Bosque del Apache had only a handful of cranes ... so we couldn't shoot the incoming and outgoing Sandies at the pools, which was a real bummer.

Bobby, I was there last year on December 5th for a week and there were thousands of cranes, with hundreds of them in the ponds in the mornings, it could be that they begin leaving around the end of the year, not sure.

Nov 30, 2017 at 05:51 PM
marcy45
• • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Bosque del Apache bird abundance

I leave tomorrow - have a friend who has been there for a month - says some of the ponds are dry - but there are birds some north of Socorro - I am sure they will be there in some form

Nov 30, 2017 at 07:21 PM
bobbytan
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Bosque del Apache bird abundance

That must be the case. I have been to Bosque 5 times before and the last trip was the first time I am not seeing the Sandies in Bosque - as they were all roosting in Bernardo.

I will be there with my friends from Saturday to Tuesday.

louie champan wrote:
Bobby, I was there last year on December 5th for a week and there were thousands of cranes, with hundreds of them in the ponds in the mornings, it could be that they begin leaving around the end of the year, not sure.

Nov 30, 2017 at 08:31 PM
armd
• • • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Bosque del Apache bird abundance

Just got back from a trip to the Hula Valley in Israel where the Eurasian Cranes are migrating. Though it doesn't help your situation, there were 35-40+ thousand though they are way more skittish than the Sandies.

Nov 30, 2017 at 09:30 PM
louie champan
• • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Bosque del Apache bird abundance

bobbytan wrote:
That must be the case. I have been to Bosque 5 times before and the last trip was the first time I am not seeing the Sandies in Bosque - as they were all roosting in Bernardo.

I will be there with my friends from Saturday to Tuesday.

Too bad, we won't be able to meet up we arrive on Tuesday. I've never been there when there weren't plenty of cranes, geese and ducks within the Bosque.

Nov 30, 2017 at 09:32 PM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.