FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

Serious issues with the Techart GFX adapter

Bubble
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.2 #1 · p.2 #1 · Serious issues with the Techart GFX adapter

engardeknave wrote:
Today I received the Steelsring adapter. Hilariously, while they managed to resolve the lens profile issue, its problems are even worse and will never be resolved with a firmware update.

i don't use TS-E lens so i'm ok with it. I assume it is the issue you post at FB?

Dec 08, 2017 at 05:54 AM
engardeknave
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.2 #2 · p.2 #2 · Serious issues with the Techart GFX adapter

Bubble wrote:
i don't use TS-E lens so i'm ok with it. I assume it is the issue you post at FB?

Also in the Steelsring thread. I double checked the vignetting on TSE, and I'm not so sure about that. However the red color casts are definitely real.

Dec 08, 2017 at 01:50 PM
Bubble
• • • •
p.2 #3 · p.2 #3 · Serious issues with the Techart GFX adapter

Have you talk to steel about it? He responds very fast via DM

Dec 08, 2017 at 03:16 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.2 #4 · p.2 #4 · Serious issues with the Techart GFX adapter

I guess I am confused why people are so keen on the TechArt and Steelring adapters, which seem not quite ready for prime time, when the Cambo and the Kipon electronic aperture control adapters seem to work without problems. Sure the electronic aperture control adapters don't allow EXIF data and they don't allow AF, but there just isn't going to be a good AF adapter for the GFX, IMO, because it does not have Phase detect AF on the sensor. The Cambo looks fantastic, but is expensive. I would go with that if you can stomach the price, but if you can't the Kipon is a great alternative and less than $300.

Dec 08, 2017 at 03:37 PM
highdesertmesa
• •
p.2 #5 · p.2 #5 · Serious issues with the Techart GFX adapter

engardeknave wrote:
Also in the Steelsring thread. I double checked the vignetting on TSE, and I'm not so sure about that. However the red color casts are definitely real.

I'm trying to imagine how an adapter without glass could cause a color shift Ė warm black paint inside the adapter instead of neutral black? I can see it's a real thing, but what if it's just a white balance shift that can be corrected? Still, it's strange.

Dec 08, 2017 at 03:46 PM
highdesertmesa
• •
p.2 #6 · p.2 #6 · Serious issues with the Techart GFX adapter

Steve Spencer wrote:
I guess I am confused why people are so keen on the TechArt and Steelring adapters, which seem not quite ready for prime time, when the Cambo and the Kipon electronic aperture control adapters seem to work without problems. Sure the electronic aperture control adapters don't allow EXIF data and they don't allow AF, but there just isn't going to be a good AF adapter for the GFX, IMO, because it does not have Phase detect AF on the sensor. The Cambo looks fantastic, but is expensive. I would go with that if you can stomach the price, but
...Show more

Not so keen any longer.

Dec 08, 2017 at 03:46 PM

Search in Used Dept. 

engardeknave
• •
p.2 #7 · p.2 #7 · Serious issues with the Techart GFX adapter

Bubble wrote:
Have you talk to steel about it? He responds very fast via DM

I have. He insists it is because the camera is doing lens profile corrections with other adapters and not his. He didn't have an answer when I told him dumb adapters don't have this issue, nor does the Techart when it's not electronically connected, and that you can actually see the red corners on the screen before shooting a photo with the Steelsring.

Steve Spencer wrote:
I guess I am confused why people are so keen on the TechArt and Steelring adapters, which seem not quite ready for prime time, when the Cambo and the Kipon electronic aperture control adapters seem to work without problems. Sure the electronic aperture control adapters don't allow EXIF data and they don't allow AF, but there just isn't going to be a good AF adapter for the GFX, IMO, because it does not have Phase detect AF on the sensor. The Cambo looks fantastic, but is expensive. I would go with that if you can stomach the price, but
...Show more

Nobody reported any of these issues, at least to my knowledge, before I purchased each of these adapters. I'm pretty sure I broke the news about all of them. The reviews I read were glowing. People can't wait to talk about how great the gear they bought is and will ignore evidence to the contrary.

The Cambo and Kipon also suck because they are huge on the camera. I'd actually rather use the Techart just to stop down and then DOF preview and slightly turn it so it's electronically disconnected. This is what I have been doing.

highdesertmesa wrote:
I'm trying to imagine how an adapter without glass could cause a color shift Ė warm black paint inside the adapter instead of neutral black? I can see it's a real thing, but what if it's just a white balance shift that can be corrected? Still, it's strange.

I have inspected them closely side by side and really can't say. Best guess is the inside corners are barely grazing the image circle. It's weird because the Techart looks like it might even be slightly smaller inside.

I think Techart is going to get their lens profile problem resolved soon.

Dec 08, 2017 at 07:25 PM
Bubble
• • • •
p.2 #8 · p.2 #8 · Serious issues with the Techart GFX adapter

It great that you report the issue but you canít blame other for not report it. Like me, I donít shot with any TSE lens at all so I canít see the issue like you.

Dec 08, 2017 at 11:52 PM
engardeknave
• •
p.2 #9 · p.2 #9 · Serious issues with the Techart GFX adapter

Bubble wrote:
It great that you report the issue but you canít blame other for not report it. Like me, I donít shot with any TSE lens at all so I canít see the issue like you.

These issues don't have anything to do specifically with TSE lenses. Both the lens profile problem and the red color cast affect all lenses used with these adapters.

Dec 08, 2017 at 11:59 PM
Bubble
• • • •
p.2 #10 · p.2 #10 · Serious issues with the Techart GFX adapter

Iíll check my copy this weekend again.

Dec 09, 2017 at 12:06 AM
molson
• • • • • •
p.2 #11 · p.2 #11 · Serious issues with the Techart GFX adapter

I upgraded my Techart adapter to firmware v. 2.0 and it seems to have done away with the pre-installed lens profile, but I haven't had a chance to do any testing beyond a couple of snapshots to confirm it is at least reporting the correct exif information (it is).

Jan 09, 2018 at 04:38 PM
       end

FM Forums | Fuji Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password