1       2      
       4       5       end

Archive 2017 · Sony A7R III Dynamic range at 14.7 Evs

ArizonaImage
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Sony A7R III Dynamic range at 14.7 Evs

JohnDizzo15 wrote:
Kind of an interesting and selective take. But I'll bite. lol.

Track record - Nikon hasn't exactly been the spitting image of stable and solid upon release in recent years. Just a tad bit of a memory rewind would reveal a few blaringly egregious examples.

Good battery - This is moot at this point as anyone who has operated the A9 can tell you (myself being one of them) as they share the same new battery. I have gotten upwards of 2000 shots on a single charge at times. Never any fewer than 1000.

Exceptional reviews - Both said cameras have had exceptional
...Show more

Hey, I wanted to jump on the Sony bandwagon until Sony owners, again many of which where from here, told me to stay the hell away. Many photographers lost entire weddings because of their beloved A7R (Mark I or Mark II). Shutters getting stuck in wind or cold weather. I'll try to find the link from a photographer on here about that. The point I am making is until Sony has a track proven record like Nikon and Canon, its nothing more than a risk. As for evidence, try google, it's quite easy. Sony comes into the game and calls their systems better. Well, I agree and disagree. I agree that the A7Rs are endlessly better than anything Canon makes. Better image quality, DR, video and so on. But, this all means zero when they you cross your fingers in hopes it turns on. That's my point, not that its less of a camera or doesn't produce stunning images or video. It was just stunning to see how plagued their cameras have been

Nov 29, 2017 at 11:09 PM
bclaff_too
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Sony A7R III Dynamic range at 14.7 Evs

SouthwestS2K wrote:
Give it a few weeks. Just like every release from Sony, you'll start hearing of them. If you read my post, common sense shows I was talking about Sony Alpha cameras. Your processes of elimination wasn't that great unfortunately.

I misread your post also; perhaps you weren't as clear as you thought..

Nov 29, 2017 at 11:21 PM
Mystik
• • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Sony A7R III Dynamic range at 14.7 Evs

SouthwestS2K wrote:
Hey, I wanted to jump on the Sony bandwagon until Sony owners, again many of which where from here, told me to stay the hell away. Many photographers lost entire weddings because of their beloved A7R (Mark I or Mark II). Shutters getting stuck in wind or cold weather. I'll try to find the link from a photographer on here about that. The point I am making is until Sony has a track proven record like Nikon and Canon, its nothing more than a risk. As for evidence, try google, it's quite easy. Sony comes into the game and
...Show more

Just like anything else on the internet, people more often post the bad experiences than the good. In the case of me, I've been shooting a7 bodies professionally (portraits, events, weddings) since the original a7r was originally released...so basically 4 years now. It's taken sometime for the system to mature, but in terms of reliability, the only mechanical issue I've had was a broken rear LCD and SD card port on my original a7r when it slipped off a black rapid strap onto a tile floor. Outside of that, under the normal abuse that a camera gets shooting events, I've never had an issue with the various sony bodies I've owned.

Nov 29, 2017 at 11:21 PM
chiron
• • • •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Sony A7R III Dynamic range at 14.7 Evs

SouthwestS2K wrote:
Hey, I wanted to jump on the Sony bandwagon until Sony owners, again many of which where from here, told me to stay the hell away. Many photographers lost entire weddings because of their beloved A7R (Mark I or Mark II). Shutters getting stuck in wind or cold weather. I'll try to find the link from a photographer on here about that. The point I am making is until Sony has a track proven record like Nikon and Canon, its nothing more than a risk. As for evidence, try google, it's quite easy. Sony comes into the game and
...Show more

As someone who spends a lot of time on multiple Sony forums, and has read of the experiences of thousands of Sony users, this is complete nonsense.

Please provide your links to the "many" Sony users who have lost entire weddings, any actual account of "shutters getting stuck in ...wind" or users who "cross...fingers in hopes it turns on."

Nov 29, 2017 at 11:37 PM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Sony A7R III Dynamic range at 14.7 Evs

Honestly can’t believe I’m reading this like Nikon and Canon are not at fault with failures. I turn 61 Tuesday been a Pro since I was 19. Trust me everything fails no one is immune to it.

Nov 29, 2017 at 11:40 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Sony A7R III Dynamic range at 14.7 Evs

SouthwestS2K wrote:
...Show more

This is complete nonsense! I've taken my A7R and A7RII bodies to rain, freezing cold and also hot temperatures and never experienced a hiccup. There is a lot of misinformation out there...

Cameras from all brands can fail and we can't generalize like this.

Nov 29, 2017 at 11:47 PM
Steve Spencer
• • • • • •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Sony A7R III Dynamic range at 14.7 Evs

Matt Grum wrote:
What's amazing to me is that there's no real advantage in DR with medium format (~ one quarter of a stop), you can have that performance in your pocket:

Keep in mind that is only true if you have different aspect ratios. If you shoot the same aspect ratios at 4 X 3 or squarer the 44X33 sensor will have about a half of a stop better DR because you are cropping the A7r III and not the 44X33 (or cropping the FF 35mm more), but at 3 X 2 or a skinnier rectangle you are cropping the 44X33 sensor and not the A7r III (or cropping the 44X33 sensor more), at that aspect ratio the DR will be very similar even less than that quarter stop.

Nov 29, 2017 at 11:53 PM
whumber
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Sony A7R III Dynamic range at 14.7 Evs

SouthwestS2K wrote:
A9 has sensor banding. Jared Polin from FroKnows showed this in a video review, among others on YouTube than others on various forums on the web. The A7RII suffered some sensor banding as well.

The banding that Jared Polin showed was actually due to a high frequency LED display near where he was shooting rather than anything to do with the sensor noise.

Nov 29, 2017 at 11:58 PM
JohnDizzo15
• • •
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Sony A7R III Dynamic range at 14.7 Evs

@SouthwestS2K - Before I go on any further, it should be noted that you are in a thread about the A7R3 which shares most of its character traits with the A9. What you have referenced and continue to reference are your previous experiences and/or experiences of others during a time when neither of these cameras existed. That is a moot point as you are in a thread about a camera from now and not then. Not only are the cameras drastically different from anything else released before them, but the entire ecosystem has developed greatly in all facets since the release of the R2.

Again, please cite some sources of info for these rampant issues that you have referenced. I am more than open to them. I won't disagree, the first generation cameras were all very problematic. The second versions, much less. Now, with the A9 and R3, Sony has reached a fair level of maturation.

I'm going to go out on a limb and hope to start a trend of making statements based on citation. When I stated earlier that Nikon isn't the spitting image of stable and solid, I didn't reference specifics or sources. My bad. So let's start.

https://petapixel.com/2017/07/14/nikon-recalls-d750-third-time-shutter-issue/

In this second link, it is about the D5 and D500 recall but also mentions the issues that were had in the D600. This, before we even get to how owners of the D600 felt with regard to the timeframe for the release of the D610. But that's another convo all together.

https://www.diyphotography.net/nikon-issues-pre-emptive-recalls-d5-d500-please-return-service-advance/

Both of these articles are about things that have occurred over the last year and a half. There is more, but we will start here.

Nov 30, 2017 at 12:02 AM
RobCD
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Sony A7R III Dynamic range at 14.7 Evs

SouthwestS2K wrote:
D850 vs A7R III, one is stable with a proven record, good battery and exceptional reviews by photographers. The other? Checkered history of failed shutters, firmware corrupting, sensor banding and terrible battery life. I think photographers going into uncontrolled environments know which one to choose where the other is a good studio camera, which is nice because they can charge the batteries after 200 shots. That's my 0.02 on this, because its not just about a slight difference in DR or ISO but its actual use and dependability.

My .02 is that this post isn't worth .02.

Nov 30, 2017 at 12:15 AM
lightskyland
• • •
p.3 #11 · p.3 #11 · Sony A7R III Dynamic range at 14.7 Evs

Is this the smell of astroturf early in the morning?

Nov 30, 2017 at 12:31 AM
trogdon
• • •
p.3 #12 · p.3 #12 · Sony A7R III Dynamic range at 14.7 Evs

Been shooting Sony mirrorless for over 7 years, haven't had issues mentioned above. Been very great and trustworthy devices!

Nov 30, 2017 at 12:38 AM
virtualrain
• • •
p.3 #13 · p.3 #13 · Sony A7R III Dynamic range at 14.7 Evs

SouthwestS2K wrote:
...Show more

I use to shoot with Canon and my particular 5D Mark III would lock up and refuse to take photos in temperatures below -10 deg. C. I didn't find this out until it was out of warranty on a winter trip to eastern Canada that was basically ruined by my Camera's failure to work. I'm sure you can find plenty of such stories about any brand. So it wouldn't surprise me to hear that someone's Sony camera failed them also... or a Nikon... or any other brand. But you're foolish to make broad generalizations based on one or two people's reports. You must not buy any product then... because it doesn't matter wether it's a camera, a car, a phone or a computer, you'll find stories of failure out there.

FWIW, my A7RII has been extremely dependable after 2 years even in some of the most harsh and gritty conditions all around the world.

Nov 30, 2017 at 12:40 AM
mttran
• • • • •
p.3 #14 · p.3 #14 · Sony A7R III Dynamic range at 14.7 Evs

SouthwestS2K wrote:
...Show more

-1, I have never understood this kind of backdoor talk. it's a complete nonsense. You should not listen to those nasty people and only share what you have learned/experienced.

Nov 30, 2017 at 03:08 AM
tn1krr
• •
p.3 #15 · p.3 #15 · Sony A7R III Dynamic range at 14.7 Evs

I'm never speachless, but now I am. We have someone here crying wolf about Sony shutter reliability and citing oilspraying, frequently-shutter-recalled Nikon as example of how things are done. I bet this person would never ever fly aboard a Quantas or Finnair plane since China Airlines and Aviance are available.

Nov 30, 2017 at 04:24 AM
Chris_88
• • • •
p.3 #16 · p.3 #16 · Sony A7R III Dynamic range at 14.7 Evs

Leaving aside the fact that Sony actually has addressed several issues such as battery life, I find it really weird that people believe in internet lore and base their decision to spend serious amounts of money on those stories. I have been shooting Sony for a decade, never had a single problem, despite having owned a total of ten a-mount and e-mount cameras.

Given how many of us have dealt with decentered copies of particular Sony lenses, I don't think anybody here would claim Sony is perfect, but neither are Canon or Nikon, as evident from focusing issues of the 7D2, the oil spills inside the D600, the initial problems with the Nikon 300 PF and 200-500. Then again, many folks seem to have a rather short memory.

Nov 30, 2017 at 07:10 AM
Mystik
• • •
p.3 #17 · p.3 #17 · Sony A7R III Dynamic range at 14.7 Evs

Chris_88 wrote:
Leaving aside the fact that Sony actually has addressed several issues such as battery life, I find it really weird that people believe in internet lore and base their decision to spend serious amounts of money on those stories. I have been shooting Sony for a decade, never had a single problem, despite having owned a total of ten a-mount and e-mount cameras.

Given how many of us have dealt with decentered copies of particular Sony lenses, I don't think anybody here would claim Sony is perfect, but neither are Canon or Nikon, as evident from focusing issues of the
...Show more

It's confirmation bias. People don't want to accept that sony has products that can compete and in many aspect surpass the incumbent market leaders (can ikon) and will dig up things from several years back to support their thinking

Nov 30, 2017 at 08:46 AM
alundeb
• • • • •
p.3 #18 · p.3 #18 · Sony A7R III Dynamic range at 14.7 Evs

Just as no brand is free from issues, nobody is free from confirmation bias, even those with the objectively best gear.

Nov 30, 2017 at 08:54 AM
Parariss
• • •
p.3 #19 · p.3 #19 · Sony A7R III Dynamic range at 14.7 Evs

All these intelligent, talented photographers...and no one sees that they're being trolled!

Nov 30, 2017 at 09:37 AM
GMPhotography
• • • • • • •
p.3 #20 · p.3 #20 · Sony A7R III Dynamic range at 14.7 Evs

Parariss wrote:
All these intelligent, talented photographers...and no one sees that they're being trolled!

We all know we are just venting in anticipation of our new cam. It beats WAITING. Lol

Nov 30, 2017 at 09:51 AM
1       2      
       4       5       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       4       5       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.