New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · just bought some "rare" B&W film - need some info

Dustin Gent
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · just bought some "rare" B&W film - need some info

First i want to thank everyone who has chimed in in my previous threads about film; it was super helpful! I also want to thank those who sold me film in my WTB ads and through PMs. I now have like 14 rolls of Reala, 5 Portra 160, some Velvia, Sensia 100..

With all the suggestions on film , i started to shake down eBay for all kinds of film. Last week, however, i came across some film i never had heard of. Google had some info, but not much. I talked to a buddy that works at BlueMoon photo in Portland, and he said they can develop it, but may cost $20 depending on labor needed to do it. So i bought it this morning.

The film is Fuji Minicopy HRII (High Resolution). On apug.org there is a thread on this film, and they state it is ASA 6! The film expired in 2001 but the seller states it has been frozen since. I am excited to try this film on my next trip to southern Utah in the coming weeks. I paid under $10 shipped!

Has anyone shot with this film? Also, I know i need a yellow filter, but which brand is good? I have never owned colored filters before.

Nov 27, 2017 at 12:56 PM
AbramG
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · just bought some "rare" B&W film - need some info

Do you NEED a Yellow filter? I use them sometimes but not all the time. Depends on the level of contrast I want.

Keep in mind it drops you a stop of light.

As to WHICH filters I 99.9% of the time will buy B+W filters as I find them to be of the best quality.

Nov 27, 2017 at 02:12 PM
AdaptedLenses
• • • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · just bought some "rare" B&W film - need some info

God, that'll be fun, hope you have a sturdy tripod and a release... Look forward to seeing results.

Maybe some more info from folks here: https://www.flickr.com/groups/1250085@N22/

Nov 27, 2017 at 02:54 PM
lbloom
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · just bought some "rare" B&W film - need some info

At ASA 6 and with freezer storage, this film may well be like new. Slow films fog really slowly.

Have fun!

Nov 27, 2017 at 04:03 PM
DannyBurkPhoto
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · just bought some "rare" B&W film - need some info

I always stuck to B+W or Heliopan filters.

Nov 27, 2017 at 05:13 PM
Two23
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · just bought some "rare" B&W film - need some info

I am guessing the yellow filter is to counter UV light. Really, any brand is going to work fine for this. Because it's so close to the lens, the light will focus right through. I generally do use a coated filter though, with a lens hood. You can find lots of yellow filters on Ebay.

Kent in SD

Nov 27, 2017 at 06:38 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · just bought some "rare" B&W film - need some info

with the color filters, i wasn't sure if it was like buying an ND or CPL, as quality varies a lot from the various brands.

I am super stoked to get the film and use it. I NEED to find more of it for sure, or something like it. I have heard using Neopan Acros and developed in a different developer can get similar results. Unfortunately i am not in the most ideal situation to have my own dark room....

Nov 28, 2017 at 12:18 AM
AdaptedLenses
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · just bought some "rare" B&W film - need some info

Dustin Gent wrote:
with the color filters, i wasn't sure if it was like buying an ND or CPL, as quality varies a lot from the various brands.

I am super stoked to get the film and use it. I NEED to find more of it for sure, or something like it. I have heard using Neopan Acros and developed in a different developer can get similar results. Unfortunately i am not in the most ideal situation to have my own dark room....

I really like Acros with normal developer. I haven't tried with Acros but it may behave like HP5, where its rated at 400, but if you shoot at 1600 and push it 2 stops in processing it gets real contrasty (and grain increases a good bit.) Haven't tried it with Acros but I can ask my lab guy, he's pretty knowledgeable. I'm not in a position to have my own dark room either...

Nov 28, 2017 at 08:55 AM
carlitos
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · just bought some "rare" B&W film - need some info

Won't this film this slow (ASA 6) already be high contrast? Fuji calls it a "copy" film.

Nov 28, 2017 at 12:34 PM
Dustin Gent
• • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · just bought some "rare" B&W film - need some info

it is, but since i cannot find this film easily and want to shoot B&W more often, it would probably be a good idea to buy colored filters i think (?).

Nov 28, 2017 at 08:36 PM
Jon Buffington
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · just bought some "rare" B&W film - need some info

I would do some testing first. If it is copy film, you will probably need a special low contrast developer such as the one used (forget the name) for cms 20 and such. Don't want to shoot a bunch of rolls on your vacation only to get home and find out you basically have unusable images due to contrast. Copy film by nature is high contrast. Shoot a couple rolls and try to dial in a developer, or find out the characteristics of the film. Or ask on APUG/Photrio or on the flickr group. Happy shooting! I love film

Nov 28, 2017 at 08:45 PM
Ed Sawyer
• • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · just bought some "rare" B&W film - need some info

The most common film of this type that was used for this sort of thing back in the day is Kodak Tech Pan. It has it's own special developer, or Photographer's Formulary has one that is designed for it as well. It's relatively fast at ISO 25. With the right developer contrast is high-ish but reasonable. I used to print it on Grade 1 paper in the darkroom and the tonality was amazing. I still have a lot of it but havent' shot much of it in a while. It was available in 35mm up through 8x10 or larger.

Nov 29, 2017 at 08:58 AM

FM Forums | Leica & Alternative Gear | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.