FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2017 · Higher ISO Body

Photozack81
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Higher ISO Body

The D850 will handily whip the D750 or the D810.

D500 and D5 are the only things that will compete with the D850. This is old news by now.

Dec 02, 2017 at 08:38 PM
TANG0F0XTR0T
• •
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Higher ISO Body

Photozack81 wrote:
The D850 will handily whip the D750 or the D810.

D500 and D5 are the only things that will compete with the D850. This is old news by now.

In good light, of course. In dim light though? I have yet to read one review where this is specifically mentioned compared to the D810. I just want to know this is improved. Do you have a D850 and have tested this or are you just assuming based on its D5 focusing hardware?

Dec 03, 2017 at 01:31 AM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Higher ISO Body

TANG0F0XTR0T wrote:
In good light, of course. In dim light though? I have yet to read one review where this is specifically mentioned compared to the D810. I just want to know this is improved. Do you have a D850 and have tested this or are you just assuming based on its D5 focusing hardware?

Go on Dpreview, and use their "new" comparison tool. Select the D810 and D850, RAW, "low light" and hit the "comp" button. Watch as you raise the ISO, the D810 turns magenta and the D850 holds onto the color almost perfectly. There is a huge difference there IMO, and it's also less noisy. I'd link it but FM blocks DPreview links now.

If you prefer objective data here are the charts showing the D850 a stop better from ISO400 onwards when the dual gain sensor kicks in:

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/RN_ADU.htm#Nikon%20D810_14,Nikon%20D850_14

The most impressive part, to me, is that it does all this with 30% more resolution.

I also own both right now and I can tell you the D850 is definitely better.

Dec 03, 2017 at 01:53 AM
TANG0F0XTR0T
• •
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Higher ISO Body

CanadaMark wrote:
Go on Dpreview, and use their "new" comparison tool. Select the D810 and D850, RAW, "low light" and hit the "comp" button. Watch as you raise the ISO, the D810 turns magenta and the D850 holds onto the color almost perfectly. There is a huge difference there IMO, and it's also less noisy. I'd link it but FM blocks DPreview links now.

If you prefer objective data here are the charts showing the D850 a stop better from ISO400 onwards when the dual gain sensor kicks in:

http://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/RN_ADU.htm#Nikon%20D810_14,Nikon%20D850_14

The most impressive part, to me, is that it does all this with 30% more
...Show more
I get what the charts show. Does your D850 ACQUIRE focus better without hunting like the D810 in dim light? When I say acquire I mean, when I lock focus. The D810 does not always do this in low light. The hunting or lack of focus acquisition is a deal breaker. I don’t want to have to resort to a D4s or D5 if IV pc a avoid it.

Dec 03, 2017 at 11:19 AM
Teak

p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Higher ISO Body

D850 is sensitive to -4EV, D750 to -3EV and D810 to -2 EV. So all things being equal, if you could lock on to a target using D750, the D850 should not have a problem.

IIRC the EV sensitivity applies to center point and the surrounding cross type sensors only. The outer sensors are not cross type thus not as sensitive and require more contrast and pattern to lock on. HTH

Dec 03, 2017 at 02:54 PM
CanadaMark
• • • • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Higher ISO Body

TANG0F0XTR0T wrote:
I get what the charts show. Does your D850 ACQUIRE focus better without hunting like the D810 in dim light? When I say acquire I mean, when I lock focus. The D810 does not always do this in low light. The hunting or lack of focus acquisition is a deal breaker. I don’t want to have to resort to a D4s or D5 if IV pc a avoid it.

I'm sorry I thought you were talking about ISO.

Yes, it does acquire focus faster than my D810. The AF on the D850 is next-level good in all respects. It's also better than the D4S in that regard. AF point sensitivity is double that of a D810/D4S in the center and 50% more on every other point so this is no surprise. The D850 has the exact same AF system as the D5.

Dec 04, 2017 at 10:41 AM
TANG0F0XTR0T
• •
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Higher ISO Body

CanadaMark wrote:
I'm sorry I thought you were talking about ISO.

Yes, it does acquire focus faster than my D810. The AF on the D850 is next-level good in all respects. It's also better than the D4S in that regard. AF point sensitivity is double that of a D810/D4S in the center and 50% more on every other point so this is no surprise. The D850 has the exact same AF system as the D5.

Thanks for that feedback and confirmation. 👍. That’s what I was looking for.

Dec 04, 2017 at 06:41 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.