p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Red Tailed Hawk - nictitating membrane

Taken at Carrie Murray Nature Center, Baltimore MD

Nictitating Membrane - Red Tailed Hawk

Nov 27, 2017 at 08:10 AM
morris
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Red Tailed Hawk - nictitating membrane

Well photographed Bob. I tend not to share photos with the Nictitating Membrane showing. They bug me.

Morris

Nov 27, 2017 at 08:01 PM
RockvilleBob
• • • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Red Tailed Hawk - nictitating membrane

Thank you. I appreciate your advice about resizing. I just couldn't believe the color of the membrane.
I am headed to Conowingo to photograph eagles tomorrow. Any chance you've been to the Upper Delaware Mongaup area? I am looking for a place to shoot eagles with a better background.

Nov 27, 2017 at 08:35 PM
sum1sgrampa
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Red Tailed Hawk - nictitating membrane

RockvilleBob wrote:
Thank you. I appreciate your advice about resizing. I just couldn't believe the color of the membrane.
I am headed to Conowingo to photograph eagles tomorrow. Any chance you've been to the Upper Delaware Mongaup area? I am looking for a place to shoot eagles with a better background.

Hey Bob, I'm just going to throw this out there. Just disregard if you've already tried this or if I'm telling you something you already know.
I've only been to Conowingo 2x as it's a 7 hour drive for me. I like shooting right at the water's edge directly across from the twin towers on the island . Very few people go down there. It seems most people stay up along the fence line which is probably great when the birds are flying overhead with a catch going back to the trees but most shots I see just have a blank sky background. I also prefer to have some color in my backdrops. I just don't shoot if the towers or wires are in the frame.

Nov 28, 2017 at 05:43 PM
RockvilleBob
• • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Red Tailed Hawk - nictitating membrane

Great shot! Thank for the information. I will try it out. What is your experience with 500mm? I am using the Sigma 150-600 Sport and get some good shots at 500 and 600 but usually not enough of the eagle for a good size print. When I add the 1.4 TC the AF performance on the the D500 drops off except for high contrast situations plus the resulting high iso degrades the shot. Thanks again for your tip.

Any chance that you have been to the Mongaup Valley Wildlife Management Area / Upper Delaware area to photograph eagles? I have been thinking of making a trip there?

Nov 29, 2017 at 06:55 AM
sum1sgrampa
• • • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Red Tailed Hawk - nictitating membrane

RockvilleBob wrote:
Great shot! Thank for the information. I will try it out. What is your experience with 500mm? I am using the Sigma 150-600 Sport and get some good shots at 500 and 600 but usually not enough of the eagle for a good size print. When I add the 1.4 TC the AF performance on the the D500 drops off except for high contrast situations plus the resulting high iso degrades the shot. Thanks again for your tip.

Any chance that you have been to the Mongaup Valley Wildlife Management Area / Upper Delaware area to photograph eagles? I have been
...Show more

I also use the Sigma Sport 150-600. My 500 is the old Nikon AF-I. Still a very good lens in my opinion. Last year I would start with the 500 f4 in the morning because of light and then switch to the Sigma when things brightened up. Then back to the f4 when light faded in the evening. After I reviewed my edits from last years trip I found that most of my keepers were shot with the 500. This could very well mean that the shots I preferred were shot in more pleasing light ? Hard to say. I love the Sigma and find it very hard to distinguish a difference in IQ between the two. More important is the f4 vs f6.3 and the separation from the background. This year I brought both lenses again but never used the Sigma.
I find there are certainly some opportunities for close to frame filling shots from down there if you're patient. I stay in the same spot from sun up to sundown. I've found first light to have the best activity.
Nope, I've never been anywhere else in Maryland but would love to spend more time in some other spots.

Nov 29, 2017 at 09:07 AM
RockvilleBob
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Red Tailed Hawk - nictitating membrane

The Mongaup area is in NY, probably an hour or two from you. According to the web site they have migrating eagles from Canada. http://www.dec.ny.gov/outdoor/68639.html

Nov 29, 2017 at 11:52 AM
Greg Lavaty
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Red Tailed Hawk - nictitating membrane

Cool shot of the membrane!

Nov 30, 2017 at 08:33 AM

FM Forums | Nature & Wildlife | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.