Username  

Sports Corner Rules
Sports Corner Resource

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · The goalie

threepairsphot

Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · The goalie

I was shooting bantam hockey the other day. Compositionly not the best, but it captures the intensity in the goalie's eyes.

Cpatured with a D4S, Sigma 120-300 OS "S" , Sigma 1.4 tele @ f4, 1/1000th ISO 6400

Nov 26, 2017 at 10:57 AM
threepairsphot

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · The goalie

A few more from the same game. The goalies were wearing white jerseys while the rest of the time was in red.

Nov 27, 2017 at 06:20 AM
CycledawgFL
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · The goalie

May not be the best composition but I agree it conveys the intesity of the goalies focus. I caught a similar image shooting USF hockey.

Nov 29, 2017 at 01:16 PM
bu82

p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · The goalie

threepairsphot wrote:
A few more from the same game. The goalies were wearing white jerseys while the rest of the time was in red.

The last one is the best, but I'm surprised you aren't in tighter at that focal length. You have a teleconverter on? I assume so at 420mm with that lens and also f/4. I don't have a 300, and tried a 400 from overhead, but don't like that angle. So I just use a 70-200 and 24-70 for hockey. I tried 400mm through the glass, but it's either too close or too far. maybe that's what you are doing? From the other end? I just decided to ditch the 400 and get in close from the sides with the 70-200.

Nov 30, 2017 at 08:42 AM
threepairsphot

p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · The goalie

bu82 wrote:
The last one is the best, but I'm surprised you aren't in tighter at that focal length. You have a teleconverter on? I assume so at 420mm with that lens and also f/4. I don't have a 300, and tried a 400 from overhead, but don't like that angle. So I just use a 70-200 and 24-70 for hockey. I tried 400mm through the glass, but it's either too close or too far. maybe that's what you are doing? From the other end? I just decided to ditch the 400 and get in close from the sides with the 70-200.

If I was shooting for myself my tendency is to be tighter. In this case the company I am shooting for has requested the photos be a bit loose. They need to be able to crop for varying print sizes as well as for "t" shits and sweatshirts they print on. I am using the 120-300 with the 1.4 so that I can cover the entire rink. Shooting from the penalty box I don't always have the ability to switch sides when the periods change.

Dec 01, 2017 at 07:05 AM

FM Forums | Sports Corner | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.