Home · Register · Join Upload & Sell

Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

2       3              7       8       end

Archive 2017 · 7D Mark III coming in March?

AvianScott
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 7D Mark III coming in March?

It's only CR1, but two sources have told CR it is scheduled for a March release and will for sure have 4K (and possibly C-log).

http://www.canonrumors.com/eos-7d-mark-iii-coming-in-march-2018-cr1/

Nov 25, 2017 at 12:14 AM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 7D Mark III coming in March?

Did they source a substantially better sensor, preferably without an AA filter?
A rehash of the 80D sensor IQ would be rather lame in 2018.

EBH

Nov 25, 2017 at 02:06 AM
robinlee
• • •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 7D Mark III coming in March?

Prediction: Worse DR than 80D, no 4k, no DPAF, no ISO improvement, similar or old AF module, no tilt screen, limited touch screen, no AF point touch selection, UHS-1 and old CF card slot... RRP $2,299.00

Nov 25, 2017 at 04:56 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 7D Mark III coming in March?

Needs to be a huge improvement in several areas: Sensor must be state of the art. The 80D sensor is nowhere near good enough for the flagship APS-C, it has worse noise than the 7DII and only has better DR at low ISO. 7D3 needs to leapfrog D500 sensor in DR and noise, should be BSI and also stacked. Resolution doesn’t need to change much 20-24MP is plenty. Should jump to 12fps, with a 5s RAW buffer ie 60 RAW, needs a more reliable AF system with dual cpu’s and much better coverage and much larger number of points. AF at f/8 with all points. 7DII shows a lot of inconsistency when focusing which is why so many of us have jumped on the D500 . Apart from 4K, it needs to offer good 4K, no crappy crop of a crop, full sensor readout 6K, oversampled to 4K. Needs dual cards, but either XQD and UHS-II or CFast and UHS-II. Illuminated buttons, hybrid EVF+OVF (not going to happen), USB3, 4K over HDMI, stereo speakers, tilt-swivel 2.4MP rear LCD, wifi, gps.

Just adding 4K to an otherwise similar 7DII will not cut the mustard. Already mirrorless is making huge in-roads, G9, E-M1 II, a6500 are very good in AF and blow away 7DII for features. While specs are not everything and implementation is most important, Canon are really falling behind in features and yet it's also not the best in class in area anymore.

Nov 25, 2017 at 05:10 AM
johnvanr
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 7D Mark III coming in March?

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Needs to be a huge improvement in several areas: Sensor must be state of the art. The 80D sensor is nowhere near good enough for the flagship APS-C, it has worse noise than the 7DII and only has better DR at low ISO. 7D3 needs to leapfrog D500 sensor in DR and noise, should be BSI and also stacked. Resolution doesn’t need to change much 20-24MP is plenty. Should jump to 12fps, with a 5s RAW buffer ie 60 RAW, needs a more reliable AF system with dual cpu’s and much better coverage and much larger number of points.
...Show more

As long as only Canon and Nikon offer the top quality long teles, the only real competition for many is the D500, though I agree that in general Canon needs to step up its game.

Nov 25, 2017 at 05:38 AM
pitbullo

p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 7D Mark III coming in March?

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

We all know Canon, so that is what they will do
80D sensor all the way!

Nov 25, 2017 at 05:58 AM
dolina
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 7D Mark III coming in March?

AvianScott wrote:
It's only CR1, but two sources have told CR it is scheduled for a March release and will for sure have 4K (and possibly C-log).

http://www.canonrumors.com/eos-7d-mark-iii-coming-in-march-2018-cr1/

CR1 until it actually gets shipped nearing 2020.

Nov 25, 2017 at 06:59 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 7D Mark III coming in March?

I want 1DX II AF and I'd pay more for it. Canon will have to do something to keep up with the D500.

I'm not that picky about the sensor but I would at least expect as good as the 80D with the few fixes people have mentioned. I really liked the look that sensor provided for my minimal testing.

One of the sources also mentioned “first time sensor technology in a Canon DSLR”. We’re not sure what that is, but it sounds like some marketing speak for the moment.

The 80D has an improved mirror mechanism design to reduce slap. I'd expect that too.

Nov 25, 2017 at 10:26 AM
HaJa
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 7D Mark III coming in March?

Do you have any idea how many d500 and 7dii has been sold?

Jarmo

Nov 25, 2017 at 10:47 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 7D Mark III coming in March?

robinlee wrote:
Prediction: Worse DR than 80D, no 4k, no DPAF, no ISO improvement, similar or old AF module, no tilt screen, limited touch screen, no AF point touch selection, UHS-1 and old CF card slot... RRP $2,299.00

Yep, you nailed it....keep your expectations low because I can't remember the last time Canon met the hyped up specs that people post on here with each new camera.

Nov 25, 2017 at 11:04 AM
arbitrage
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · 7D Mark III coming in March?

It has to have no AA filter and not the 80D sensor. Also has to have some AF improvement. Finally it needs to have a deep buffer and not be stuck on CF and UHS-I cards. I'd love dual XQD but that won't happen, I'd settle for dual UHS-II SD, I'd accept C-Fast/UHS-II but really I'd like to stay away from C-Fast and never have to buy another one other than my free one from 1DX2....way too expensive of a card.

If they do those things I will buy one and try it out. I don't care if it is still 10FPS, don't care if it stays at 20MPs, don't care what video modes it has, etc.

I really hope for a good APS-C body to use with my collection of Canon lenses...I'm just too often reach limited.

Nov 25, 2017 at 11:11 AM
Zenon Char
• • • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · 7D Mark III coming in March?

arbitrage wrote:
It has to have no AA filter and not the 80D sensor. Also has to have some AF improvement. Finally it needs to have a deep buffer and not be stuck on CF and UHS-I cards. I'd love dual XQD but that won't happen, I'd settle for dual UHS-II SD, I'd accept C-Fast/UHS-II but really I'd like to stay away from C-Fast and never have to buy another one other than my free one from 1DX2....way too expensive of a card.

If they do those things I will buy one and try it out. I don't care if it is still
...Show more

Yep. Mee too. Although I'm enjoying my 5D4 and 100-400 II and 1.4 III I prefer for use a crop without the TC. I wonder if the a new 7D3 will offer more AF points than 5 with a TC so I could use zone AF..

Nov 25, 2017 at 11:24 AM
mogud
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · 7D Mark III coming in March?

Loyal 7d, 7d II user but, regardless of features and functions, I'm passing on cropped sensor bodies. Too many issues and competition offers better.

Canon has made their position clear IMHO. Their focus is FF for prosumer buyers. Too bad given their roots were cropped sensors. Canon needs to concentrate their efforts on their FF offerings. Technology and competion are leaving them to play catchup and an alternative choice rather than an innovator and market leader.

Nov 25, 2017 at 11:59 AM
15Bit
• • • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · 7D Mark III coming in March?

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Needs to be a huge improvement in several areas....

The sad truth is that it probably doesn't need to meet many of those criteria. With camera sales generally in freefall (incl. declining DSLR sales) and Nikon losing money as well as sales, Canon has little incentive to put in the R&D money to produce a camera that truly excels. At this point, i think "good enough" is probably the target they're aiming for, not "great".

Nov 25, 2017 at 12:23 PM
qc_mountain
• • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · 7D Mark III coming in March?

The 7DKkIII wont get out before 2020. Canon as a turn around about every 5 years for their product. First it will be the 1DxIII for the summer Olympics then later in the year the 7DKkIII.

It takes a long time for Canon to hone their craft.

Francois

Nov 25, 2017 at 12:36 PM
AJSJones
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · 7D Mark III coming in March?

“first time sensor technology in a Canon DSLR”
Teaser indeed BSI? Smart on-chip pixel-binning for video and sRAW? Other speculation for things they’ve never shown before?
The tension mounts

Nov 25, 2017 at 01:00 PM
Gochugogi
• • • • • •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · 7D Mark III coming in March?

EB-1 wrote:

EBH

I'd still buy it if Canon does 4K right and has a tilt screen. The rest of the stuff is good enough for me.

Nov 25, 2017 at 02:20 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · 7D Mark III coming in March?

My 7D2 is one of my most used bodies. It's great for daytime field sports. I'd like to see a better sensor and more consistent AF. Framerate is fine at 10fps. Certainly don't need a tilt screen or video improvements for my use but having those features won't stop me from looking at one, as long as added features don't raise the cost too much. I don't expect a 7D3 until this time next year when the current model will be four years old. Unless some new much improved tech comes out from Canon in the next few cameras, I'm may stay with what I have. The 5DSr2 is more on my radar than a 7D3 to be honest. Time will tell how it all plays out.

Nov 25, 2017 at 02:55 PM
AJSJones
• • • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · 7D Mark III coming in March?

NCAndy wrote:
My 7D2 is one of my most used bodies. It's great for daytime field sports. I'd like to see a better sensor and more consistent AF. Framerate is fine at 10fps. Certainly don't need a tilt screen or video improvements for my use but having those features won't stop me from looking at one, as long as added features don't raise the cost too much. I don't expect a 7D3 until this time next year when the current model will be four years old. Unless some new much improved tech comes out from Canon in the next few cameras, I'm
...Show more

Perhaps the new sensor technology will make its way to the 5Ds series eventually (same technology, larger sensor area) and is going to be tested out in the new 7D3?

Nov 25, 2017 at 03:10 PM
NCAndy
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · 7D Mark III coming in March?

AJSJones wrote:
Perhaps the new sensor technology will make its way to the 5Ds series eventually (same technology, larger sensor area) and is going to be tested out in the new 7D3?

Canon has used lower level bodies to introduce new tech and perhaps this will happen with the 7D3.

Nov 25, 2017 at 03:35 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.