FM Forum Rules
Wedding Resource List

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Marketing based on turn-around time

IrishDino
• • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Marketing based on turn-around time

The average turn-around time in my local market is atrocious. Many weddings couples from June/July don't have their photos back yet. It's common to receive maternity photos after the delivery. Christmas family photos taken in early November don't get delivered until late December. And on and on. So obviously complaints this time of year are more common with clients wanting to get their photos printed for cards for the holidays.

Our turn-around is a week for portraits and 3 weeks for weddings, max. We're pretty much one of, if not the fastest at getting clients their photos.

Does anyone market or sell themselves based on a quick turn-around? I mention it briefly on my website and in the initial meeting, but don't really "sell" based on it. Other services, like print labs, seem to harp on it; ex "one hour photos" or "next day delivery"

Do clients care? Can it be seen as inappropriate? I never see it brought up in our industry beyond print labs.

Edited on Nov 24, 2017 at 04:08 PM · View previous versions

Nov 24, 2017 at 03:37 PM
Jay_Be
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Marketing based on turn-around time

Following with interest

Nov 24, 2017 at 03:56 PM
TheyCallMeJ
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Marketing based on turn-around time

Yes, absolutely. It resonates with the younger generation of brides very well, especially those who are used to getting pictures instantly.

The larger studios suffer this the most, because they are so busy shooting during the season so retouching can only be done much later. The ones who push for albums take even longer, it is common to deliver the physical product prior to the digital files. Many have an ego for not outsourcing the editing.

This is where I take advantage, not only as a part-timer but also due to the small number of weddings I commit to, by delivering the pictures much sooner. I have brides who booked because of this.

I would have a hard time telling the client with a straight face that they will have to wait a year before getting their files. Don't care what is your photoshop secret sauce, no wedding requires a year for editing.

Nov 24, 2017 at 05:14 PM
hardlyboring
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Marketing based on turn-around time

Ya I think it can be great. I know of a few people here where it is paramount to their business.

Nov 24, 2017 at 07:29 PM
amonline
• • • • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Marketing based on turn-around time

If you're hinting at charging a surcharge for priority turn-around, I personally wouldn't do it. However, I would definitely make it known, both in online marketing as well as consults, that your delivery time exceeds typical local averages. This was my practice as well, as my delivery times were very often in the 2-3 week range.

Nov 24, 2017 at 08:11 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Marketing based on turn-around time

I have been delivering weddings in less than two weeks since the year 2000 and I even state this in my contract. I make it a point to bring this out in consultations and in initial e-mail correspondence. I try not to make it a big deal but I do put it out there pretty much front and center. So through all these years of doing this in my personal experience I have found it makes little to no difference as far as getting people to book because of this point. From what I hear the only time it seems to make a difference is when couples have to wait months to even see their images.

Nov 24, 2017 at 08:54 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Marketing based on turn-around time

Our associate brand is at 3 weeks. My personal brand is 2 weeks.

We offer a 24hr turnaround for a fee. A couple of takers a year. I want to bundle 24hr turnaround with a hashtag kiosk printer and night-of slideshow. Still on they 'should we or shouldn't we' docket for 2018.

Nov 25, 2017 at 12:26 AM
Ken_Cravillion
• • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · Marketing based on turn-around time

Oh I market the hell out of my turn around. I heard stories of brides waiting 1-2 months in my area. My couples are usually surprised when I tell them their pictures will be done and online in less than a week. Hell, earlier this year I had a triple header weekend and all three of those weddings were done by the following Friday.

Nov 25, 2017 at 10:59 AM
Edward Castro
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · Marketing based on turn-around time

Yup, I'd market that hard, anything to get a leg up on the competition.

Nov 25, 2017 at 11:48 AM
Nathan Padgett
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · Marketing based on turn-around time

Ken_Cravillion wrote:
Oh I market the hell out of my turn around. I heard stories of brides waiting 1-2 months in my area. My couples are usually surprised when I tell them their pictures will be done and online in less than a week. Hell, earlier this year I had a triple header weekend and all three of those weddings were done by the following Friday.

Wow! I just don't see how that is possible. You obviously don't have kids. But seriously, how many photos are you delivering? Do you color correct and straighten every photo?

I really need to step up my turnaround time. Right now I'm a couple months behind, mostly because of a very busy September.

Nov 25, 2017 at 11:50 AM
Ken_Cravillion
• • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · Marketing based on turn-around time

Nathan Padgett wrote:
Wow! I just don't see how that is possible. You obviously don't have kids. But seriously, how many photos are you delivering? Do you color correct and straighten every photo?

I really need to step up my turnaround time. Right now I'm a couple months behind, mostly because of a very busy September.

I do have two kids 7 and 10 years old but they both are in school all day. I usually deliver 400-700 photos per wedding after shooting between 1200-1800 in total during the day.

Nov 25, 2017 at 03:29 PM
Ziffl3
• • • • •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · Marketing based on turn-around time

I am generally 1 month for weddings. I got hammered this fall so I am at 6-7 weeks currently.

The only item I would watch is how you incorporate your art into the images.
Not that it should take 6+ months.....
Just minimized devaluing your work for speed sake.

-Mark

Nov 25, 2017 at 03:32 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · Marketing based on turn-around time

So it sounds like many people here have a pretty fast turn around for deliveries. But can any of us say that this in fact gets us booked more frequently or that a prospect is willing to pay $500-$1,000 more for us over someone who offers a comparable package/service but can not offer or quarantine as fast of a turn around? In other words do people really value a fast turn-around enough that to pay more for it? Does a fast turn around in fact book us more weddings?

I would say that couples will not pay more for a faster service. Sure they would like and they would appreciate a fast turn around but not to the point where they will pay more for it.

Nov 25, 2017 at 04:19 PM
LeeSimms
• • • •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · Marketing based on turn-around time

Most people think professional photos will take forever so if you highlight a faster turnaround you'll stand out.

Nov 25, 2017 at 04:26 PM
TheyCallMeJ
• •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · Marketing based on turn-around time

MRomine, I would look at it the other way around.

The key isn't to have the client pay more due to faster turnaround, it is to avoid not booking due to a slower turnaround.

Assuming everything being equal between photographers A and B, with the exception of turnaround time where A is 3 weeks vs B is 3 months, why would a potential client choose B?

It might not be the deciding factor but it is one of the many. My approach is to reduce or limit anything that shows weakness or negativity that prevents someone from booking.

MRomine wrote:
So it sounds like many people here have a pretty fast turn around for deliveries. But can any of us say that this in fact gets us booked more frequently or that a prospect is willing to pay $500-$1,000 more for us over someone who offers a comparable package/service but can not offer or quarantine as fast of a turn around? In other words do people really value a fast turn-around enough that to pay more for it? Does a fast turn around in fact book us more weddings?

I would say that couples will not pay more for a faster
...Show more

Nov 25, 2017 at 04:47 PM
MRomine
• • • •
p.1 #16 · p.1 #16 · Marketing based on turn-around time

TheyCallMeJ wrote:
MRomine, I would look at it the other way around.

The key isn't to have the client pay more due to faster turnaround, it is to avoid not booking due to a slower turnaround.

Assuming everything being equal between photographers A and B, with the exception of turnaround time where A is 3 weeks vs B is 3 months, why would a potential client choose B?

It might not be the deciding factor but it is one of the many. My approach is to reduce or limit anything that shows weakness or negativity that prevents someone from booking.

The turn around time won't be a factor as long as it is somewhere between 2-10 weeks. If photographer A offers a 10 week turn around and charges $500.00 less for the same product he will win out over the the one that has a two week turn around but is $500.00 more.

Nov 25, 2017 at 05:18 PM
TheyCallMeJ
• •
p.1 #17 · p.1 #17 · Marketing based on turn-around time

MRomine,

I don't understand why you are throwing in the price factor into my example when I said clearly to assume all things being equal, of course $500 matters but we aren't talking about pricing.

Why draw the line at 10 weeks? Turnaround time might not be important to you, but it might be for someone else. Who is the client again?

If you are checking out your items at an online store and you have two shipping options:

1) 7 business days standard at $0; or

2) next day overnight at $0, Black Friday special!

Would you purposely pick 1) for the sake of waiting an extra week? What value does that give?

In general, consumers resonate well with keywords such as: cheap, affordable, fast, guaranteed, better/best, etc.

There aren't many instances in business where slower > faster.

MRomine wrote:
The turn around time won't be a factor as long as it is somewhere between 2-10 weeks. If photographer A offers a 10 week turn around and charges $500.00 less for the same product he will win out over the the one that has a two week turn around but is $500.00 more.

Nov 25, 2017 at 05:43 PM
Ken_Cravillion
• • •
p.1 #18 · p.1 #18 · Marketing based on turn-around time

The way I look at it we're currently in a time of instant gratification so the sooner the better. This way I can shut down all of the shitty phone pictures of the couple on social media.

Nov 26, 2017 at 08:12 AM
FrancisK7
• • •
p.1 #19 · p.1 #19 · Marketing based on turn-around time

I think its a great idea.

Turnaround time isn't our main selling point but we do emphasize we deliver in 4 weeks whereas the Montreal average is 8 weeks and some take up to 12 weeks, even 16 during peak season.

We've often delivered in 2 weeks. Underpromising and overdelivering, with a super fast turn around time, has generated a lot of word of mouth for us.

In our current era of instant gratification, speed attracts.

Nov 26, 2017 at 09:49 AM
InSanE
• • •
p.1 #20 · p.1 #20 · Marketing based on turn-around time

Delivery before the wedding would be ideal.

Nov 26, 2017 at 11:55 AM

FM Forums | Wedding Photographer | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.