New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · Can 5D3 front input dial zoom problem

mikeengles
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · Can 5D3 front input dial zoom problem

Hello
I have a 5D3, which seems to have a small, I hope, problem with the front input dial.
It is most noticeable when using the dial to zoom images displayed on the LCD screen.
It does not always move to the next zoom size, when turning it up or down. It misses and then will move with the next click. I cannot tie it down to a particular click, by counting clicks from min to max.
Has any one else experienced this?
MDE

Nov 23, 2017 at 05:21 PM
Liquidstone
• • • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · Can 5D3 front input dial zoom problem

Just a hunch - are you using a slow memory card? The camera might need some time to access the image from the card, and if you click fast, the display of part of the image could be delayed.

Nov 23, 2017 at 06:25 PM
CosmicCruiser
• • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · Can 5D3 front input dial zoom problem

If you're talking about the main dial knob I have the same problem. I think mine slips from time to time and sometimes seems to not want to turn. When I send it in for the replacement of my multi function knob I'll have that addressed too.

Nov 23, 2017 at 06:55 PM
mikeengles
• • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · Can 5D3 front input dial zoom problem

Hello
Thanks for the replies.
The problem is with the input dial behind the shutter button
The main card is a Lexar 8Gb 300x CF and the backup is a 32Gb Lexar 633x SD.
There seems to be no problem quickly changing the shutter speed, I always use manual.
It just skips a click whilst zooming.I tend to use the SD purely as a backup, by copying over the images of the CF contents. This morning I cannot replicate the problem. I tried to see if it was a problem with a particular card, so alternated with just one card installed, with no problem and now no problem with 2 cards installed.
Perhaps in the realms of magic! This was a term I gave to my juniors when something seemingly inexplicable occurred, that exhibited itself for a while and then went away.
MDE

Nov 24, 2017 at 05:50 AM
Clicky94
• •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · Can 5D3 front input dial zoom problem

It sounds like the rubber is slipping, quite a common problem.
See here for an explanation and cure:
http://martybugs.net/blog/blog.cgi/gear/bodies/Fixing-Slipping-Main-Dial-On-A-Canon-DSLR.html

Nov 24, 2017 at 07:03 AM
mikeengles
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · Can 5D3 front input dial zoom problem

Hello
Well I really was not aware that there was a rubber overlay to the dial and that could well be the problem. I also have some rubber glue, to fix the mode dial cover, so might well try it on this problem. Then again I might not as I don't find it a BIG problem, just irritating.
Many thanks for the link and a very likely solution to the problem.
I was going to take the camera to Canon UK in Elstree, but my warranty company, are insisting that it be couriered to their repairer in Tonbridge.I would much rather go to Canon as it is near by and I won't have to double pack, to counter rough handling by a courier,so there is a bit of a standoff.
All the best
MDE

Nov 24, 2017 at 08:45 AM
Clicky94
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · Can 5D3 front input dial zoom problem

mikeengles wrote:
I also have some rubber glue, to fix the mode dial cover, so might well try it on this problem.

It's a very easy fix, just don't put too much glue on, it only needs a couple of tiny spots 180 degrees apart, best to use something like a cocktail stick or a toothpick. Rubber glue is ideal, definitely do not use superglue.

Nov 24, 2017 at 10:03 AM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.