Moderated by: Fred Miranda
Username  

New fredmiranda.com Mobile Site
  New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2       3              6      
       end

Update: It is Back! Zeiss Batis and Loxia Sale!

Fred Miranda
Admin
Upload & Sell: On
p.7 #1 · p.7 #1 · Update: It is Back! Zeiss Batis and Loxia Sale!

The same Black Friday discounts are back until Christmas. The only difference is that the Batis set is now $900 off:

1. $300 off on the Zeiss Batis 135mm f/2.8 lens
    B&H Photo | Adorama

2. $180 off on the Zeiss Batis 85mm f/1.8 lens:
    B&H Photo | Adorama

3. $195 off on the Zeiss Batis 25mm f/2 lens:
    B&H Photo | Adorama

4. $225 off on the Zeiss Batis 18mm f/2.8 lens:
    B&H Photo | Adorama

5. $195 off on the Zeiss Loxia 35mm f/2 lens:
    B&H Photo | Adorama

6. $210 off on the Zeiss Loxia 85mm f/2.4 lens:
    B&H Photo | Adorama

7. $225 off on the Zeiss Loxia 21mm f/2.8 lens:
    B&H Photo | Adorama

8. $140 off on the Zeiss Loxia 50mm f/2 lens:
    B&H Photo | Adorama

Special deal on the entire Zeiss Batis lens set.

Instant Savings: $900.00!!

Includes:
Batis 18mm f/2.8 Lens
Batis 25mm f/2 Lens
Batis 85mm f/1.8
Batis 135mm f/2.8 Lens
3 x 67mm Carl Zeiss T* UV Filters
77mm Carl Zeiss T* UV Filter

Zeiss Batis Full Lens Kit with Zeiss UV Filters

Dec 15, 2017 at 03:47 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.7 #2 · p.7 #2 · Update: It is Back! Zeiss Batis and Loxia Sale!

I'm thinking about getting the Batis 25 to complement my 55/1.8 as a 2-lens walk around, travel and family combo. I would prefer a 28mm but dislike the FE 28/2.

Dec 20, 2017 at 03:25 AM
tsdevine
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.7 #3 · p.7 #3 · Update: It is Back! Zeiss Batis and Loxia Sale!

That Batis 25mm is very nice Fred, but I'm with you on the 28mm preference.

-Tim

Dec 20, 2017 at 03:31 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.7 #4 · p.7 #4 · Update: It is Back! Zeiss Batis and Loxia Sale!

Parariss wrote:
If Adorama truly has fixed their shipping packaging, I'd generally rather order from them than B&H. They ship quicker and aren't closed unexpectedly/often for orthodox holidays I've never heard of. But, until I'm absolutely sure Adorama has changed their evil ways I'll continue to avoid them for lenses or anything else fragile. As of two months ago they were still screwing up.

Adorama's shipping charges to Australia are nothing more than extortion. I wouldn't touch them with a 100' barge pole. Often they want far more for shipping than the items' worth, although this seems to be a feature of many US companies including RRS that clearly don't want to deal with international customers.

Dec 20, 2017 at 07:54 AM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.7 #5 · p.7 #5 · Update: It is Back! Zeiss Batis and Loxia Sale!

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Adorama's shipping charges to Australia are nothing more than extortion. I wouldn't touch them with a 100' barge pole. Often they want far more for shipping than the items' worth, although this seems to be a feature of many US companies including RRS that clearly don't want to deal with international customers.

To play devil’s advocate, i have found pricing expensive to ship internationally from the U.S. When ordering from abroad, stores often use UPS and shipping rates appear reasonable,. However, the prices I am quoted to ship overseas have been high. For example, I recently sold a lens to a gentleman in England. Fedex wanted over $200 for me to ship the item (a small lens in its box). The USPS charged me $67–much less, but not fast and the tracking is poor by comparison. It may be that shipping rates are the result not of gouging by the stores, but rather what the usual shipping companies—Fedex and UPS—are charging them. Why it is cheaper to ship to the USA than from the USA I don’t know.

Dec 20, 2017 at 01:57 PM
realVivek
• •
p.7 #6 · p.7 #6 · Update: It is Back! Zeiss Batis and Loxia Sale!

Affordable options for shipping abroad (EU) do exist. B/H, Adorama probably do not care and RRS and such have local agents.

Check out how iHerb (for example) can ship stuff to the EU for a couple of Euros. Some others offer even cheaper options while amking use of the same post and other services!

The winners of this high shipping costs are the sellers from HK and China. They offer free shipping but have jacked up their prices knowing the local going prices.

Dec 20, 2017 at 02:51 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.7 #7 · p.7 #7 · Update: It is Back! Zeiss Batis and Loxia Sale!

tsdevine wrote:
That Batis 25mm is very nice Fred, but I'm with you on the 28mm preference.

-Tim

I just got the Batis 25/2. I had played with it before and really liked its rendering. It should complement my 55/1.8 very nicely.

Dec 20, 2017 at 06:18 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.7 #8 · p.7 #8 · Update: It is Back! Zeiss Batis and Loxia Sale!

The Batis 25/2 just showed up and I'm impressed by its rendering. I tested it against my 12-24G and Loxia 21/2.8 and color, contrast is similar to Loxia. It's noticeably sharper than the 12-24G @24mm at center even at f/5.6. The zoom does well towards the corners but the Batis is still slightly better.

The focal length seems to be almost identical to my 12-24G @24mm, only a tiny bit wider. It's noticeably wider than my Loxia 21...so I believe it's really at 24mm or even 24.5mm lens at infinity distance. (after distortion correction)

As I already knew from a previous test, the OOF rendering is butter smooth at all distances. Just beautiful. Specular highlights show slight onion ring pattern and there is moderate axial aberration but the latter is not difficult to reduce with an automated preset.

Dec 23, 2017 at 01:16 AM
offtraildog

p.7 #9 · p.7 #9 · Update: It is Back! Zeiss Batis and Loxia Sale!

Also a fan of the Batis 25 and just bought a Loxia 21 as my landscape lens to carry when hiking. Plan to keep the Batis 25 as a walk-around street lens .. a little wide but I almost always crop anyhow

Dec 23, 2017 at 02:03 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.7 #10 · p.7 #10 · Update: It is Back! Zeiss Batis and Loxia Sale!

BH try to do a reasonable job for OS buyers, but are still expensive. Freight from US is generally dear, but I get very heavy large format books from my self-publish printer sent fast and cheap. For antipodeans you can't easily go past the HK guys for photographics, many have set up shell companies in Australia. They don't fool around either - a new lens I ordered last week was actually sent two hours later. Whatever you do, avoid buying from the EU where poss, it's a total quagmire - may as well be Mars.

Best to do business regionally, all these markets are separate entities. I've long given up on the BS here, would be buyers seem to think you are an untrustworthy alien by default; I've actually had well-meaning FM guys wish me luck trying to sell, at even reduced prices.

Dec 23, 2017 at 03:08 AM

Search in Used Dept. 

tylerdurden801
• •
p.7 #11 · p.7 #11 · Update: It is Back! Zeiss Batis and Loxia Sale!

I know it's kind of odd to plan to keep both a 25mm and a 21mm lens, but I think the Batis isn't as well suited to landscapes as the Loxia, and obviously AF vs MF. There's not a huge difference in FOV but they both excel in different uses. Glad to have them both and I think I'll keep both. The close MFD on the Batis and f2 makes for some really interesting shots too.

Dec 23, 2017 at 03:40 AM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.7 #12 · p.7 #12 · Update: It is Back! Zeiss Batis and Loxia Sale!

BTW: This holiday special pricing ends today! Exp. 12/22/17 (eastern time)
http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/1518881/0#14263934

Dec 23, 2017 at 03:52 AM
PrecisionPhoto
• • • •
p.7 #13 · p.7 #13 · Update: It is Back! Zeiss Batis and Loxia Sale!

I got the $300 off the Batis 135mm and couldn't be happier with it

Dec 23, 2017 at 02:56 PM
Justin Stone
• •
p.7 #14 · p.7 #14 · Update: It is Back! Zeiss Batis and Loxia Sale!

The 135 Batis really is a joy to use and the files render quite nicely. I’d like a 180 3.5 Macro Batis

PrecisionPhoto wrote:
I got the $300 off the Batis 135mm and couldn't be happier with it

Dec 23, 2017 at 07:21 PM
Fred Miranda
Admin
p.7 #15 · p.7 #15 · Update: It is Back! Zeiss Batis and Loxia Sale!

Justin Stone wrote:
The 135 Batis really is a joy to use and the files render quite nicely. I’d like a 180 3.5 Macro Batis

It's an amazing lens for sure but the price is back to $2,000 now.

Dec 23, 2017 at 08:21 PM
PrecisionPhoto
• • • •
p.7 #16 · p.7 #16 · Update: It is Back! Zeiss Batis and Loxia Sale!

Fred Miranda wrote:
It's an amazing lens for sure but the price is back to $2,000 now.

Wow, glad I got it when I did

Dec 24, 2017 at 01:29 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
p.7 #17 · p.7 #17 · Update: It is Back! Zeiss Batis and Loxia Sale!

Luvwine wrote:
To play devil’s advocate, i have found pricing expensive to ship internationally from the U.S. When ordering from abroad, stores often use UPS and shipping rates appear reasonable,. However, the prices I am quoted to ship overseas have been high. For example, I recently sold a lens to a gentleman in England. Fedex wanted over $200 for me to ship the item (a small lens in its box). The USPS charged me $67–much less, but not fast and the tracking is poor by comparison. It may be that shipping rates are the result not of gouging by the stores, but
...Show more

The trouble is BH can ship items to me starting at about 1/4 to 1/3 the Adorama price. I once saw an item on ebay by Adorama, that was IIRC less than $100 and shipping was well over a hundred. What get’s me is how can ebay sellers often ship fro free or for a small fee of less than $20 for items that Adorama wants often a few hundred dollars for, and the ebay prices are alos lower than the Adorama price.

Dec 24, 2017 at 04:16 AM
Luvwine
• • • •
p.7 #18 · p.7 #18 · Update: It is Back! Zeiss Batis and Loxia Sale!

Pixel Perfect wrote:
The trouble is BH can ship items to me starting at about 1/4 to 1/3 the Adorama price. I once saw an item on ebay by Adorama, that was IIRC less than $100 and shipping was well over a hundred. What get’s me is how can ebay sellers often ship fro free or for a small fee of less than $20 for items that Adorama wants often a few hundred dollars for, and the ebay prices are alos lower than the Adorama price.

No idea unless the Ebay folks are not shipping from the USA. Now, if B&H can ship more cheaply than Adorama, sounds like that would more likely be an instance of setting an artificially high price for some reason. I don't doubt that price gouging on shipping occurs, I just wanted to make the point that some shippers charge a ridiculous amount to ship from USA to Europe for reasons I don't understand.

Dec 24, 2017 at 04:45 AM
philip_pj
• • • •
p.7 #19 · p.7 #19 · Update: It is Back! Zeiss Batis and Loxia Sale!

I just ordered a Novoflex adapter. Went via Amazon who were onselling from Adorama. Got to where they declare shipping costs, over $100 for a 35 gram adapter to Aust. Bailed out, went via BH - $22. Just yesterday.

Dec 24, 2017 at 10:45 AM
       end

FM Forums | Sony Forum | Join Upload & Sell

end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username     Reset password