New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

Archive 2017 · Do I really need a D850?

runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.3 #1 · p.3 #1 · Do I really need a D850?

I still to do well with my woefully obsolete, outdated and miserably underpixeled D800. Here is one of my horribly mangled photos from this summer.

Nov 23, 2017 at 11:46 PM
SSISteve
• • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.3 #2 · p.3 #2 · Do I really need a D850?

That white stuff in the muddle is blurry. 😁

Nov 24, 2017 at 01:01 AM
brian_sp
• • • •
[X]
p.3 #3 · p.3 #3 · Do I really need a D850?

do what i did, go on a vacation and buy it while on vacation that way you get a vacation, a shiny new camera and a new camera to take pictures of your vacation

Nov 24, 2017 at 03:33 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.3 #4 · p.3 #4 · Do I really need a D850?

SSISteve wrote:
That white stuff in the muddle is blurry. 😁

Sure it's blurry. My camera is a "woefully obsolete, outdated and miserably underpixeled D800." I already exploaioned that. I will be able to afford the D850 in about 2025.

Dec 03, 2017 at 09:10 AM
elkhornsun
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.3 #5 · p.3 #5 · Do I really need a D850?

I much prefer the D500 for wildlife photography when there are distant or very small or fast moving subjects. That said, there are times when I grab the 80-400mm instead of the 200-500mm or 600mm f/4 as a subject can be too close and I would overcrop the subject and not include enough of the subject's environment to provide a sense of place.

But for the lack of reach I liked using the 200-400mm f/4 lens for that reason. I could be in a blind and have a subject approaching and shorten the focal length of the lens and continue shooting. I can see using the D850 in a similar vein.

The D850 provides the maximum viewing angle with a lens and in DX crop mode it still provides a 19MP sensor for lots of data in the file. A 750 becomes a 10.3MP camera in DX mode by way of comparison.

The 850 autofocus is nearly as good as that of the D500 (Group mode is better with the closer sensor spacing of the D500) and the only drawback I find in DX mode is having half as much of the viewfinder available to track a subject flying by.

Photographing the bison in Yellowstone I would be using the D850 in FX mode most of the time but with the grizzlies I would more often be using it in DX mode or switching to the D500.

There are advantages to having a second hand held camera and lens which having a camera attached to a heavy super telephoto lens on a tripod. For me the D500 is more often going to be the camera I use with the 600mm lens and having the D850 with available FX or DX modes and the 80-400mm or 200-500mm zoom attached is a great combination.

The very large file size from the D850 definitely impacts my own workflow and you will never see me shooting greater than 5 fps with this camera. If I need a higher rate I will be using the 21MP D500 camera.

What is very nice is finally having a FX camera and DX camera that have nearly identical controls layouts and that use the same types of memory cards and use the same type of battery. That is no small thing and for me that aspect as well as the greatly improved autofocus system were reasons enough to buy a D850.

Dec 06, 2017 at 03:47 PM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.3 #6 · p.3 #6 · Do I really need a D850?

Pick up a used D810 - if you're making decent money from photography purchase a D850.

Dec 06, 2017 at 03:54 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.3 #7 · p.3 #7 · Do I really need a D850?

If you're making fab money selling images, just buy whatever you fancy; after all it's one of the business expenses you can write off. If you don't make any moola from photography and can afford it easily, why not? Life is short and you've got to enjoy it before you die. It's far better than spending money on booze, women, or even worse things, such as trying to impress others, etc.

Blakehfreeman wrote:
Pick up a used D810 - if you're making decent money from photography purchase a D850.

Dec 06, 2017 at 05:00 PM
Blakehfreeman
• • •
p.3 #8 · p.3 #8 · Do I really need a D850?

What's wrong with booze and women??.... [asking for a friend of course 🤷🏼‍♂️]

mshi wrote:
If you're making fab money selling images, just buy whatever you fancy; after all it's one of the business expenses you can write off. If you don't make any moola from photography and can afford it easily, why not? Life is short and you've got to enjoy it before you die. It's far better than spending money on booze, women, or even worse things, such as trying to impress others, etc.

Dec 06, 2017 at 05:48 PM
mshi
• • • •
[X]
p.3 #9 · p.3 #9 · Do I really need a D850?

Blakehfreeman wrote:
What's wrong with booze and women??.... [asking for a friend of course 🤷🏼‍♂️]

endless headaches

Dec 06, 2017 at 07:03 PM
Paul_K
• • •
p.3 #10 · p.3 #10 · Do I really need a D850?

I handled the D850 quite extensively at the introducion party NPS Netherlands threw at its introduction end of August.
I directly was quite impressed with the viewer, AF and overall impression of the body

As it was allowed to put a private card in it, I put an SD card of my own in it and shot a series of high ISO (800 to 12800) shots at under quite abysmal lighting condition I was able to take home and study on my computer http://www.pbase.com/paul_k/d_850
Must admit GAS hit me quite hard at that moment, and I immediately had the D850 at the top of the list after I saw the quality/IQ of the files

But after a while I started to think twice and questioned myself how often I really needed the admittedly much improved AF and high ISO IQ for what I do (I shoot quite a bit of fashion, both the 'normal' studio/outside location stuff, and catwalk)

For the studio/outside location stuff my D800's can handle the job without any limitations for my shooting style
I'm not so much obsessed with 'the ultimate sharpness and contrast', but rather much more concerned with capturing the mood and spontaneity during a shoot (admitted, I'm an old fart with for my fashion shooting, firm roots reaching back into the 80's) so apart from GAS no real need for a D850 there.
http://a4.pbase.com/g9/20/670620/2/164047177.jTM2NAB7.jpg
(40% crop of a non posing, fast moving model, on the beach with the setting sun 'hitting' the horizon, D800 1.4/58mm AFS at 2,2 1/640s iso1250)

As far as catwalk is concerned, at least the last couple of years I find I usually shoot under quite good light, and as a consequence only very rarely go near, let alone ISO 6400. Under those circumstances, the AF of my D800's handles the job well too.

If however I'm forced to constantly work above ISO 6400, the lighting usually is pretty bad anyway. Not only as far as intensity is concerned, but more importantly also the (lack) of creative set up.
Resulting in bad, hard and consequently unwanted deep and harsh shadows, something no high ISO capable sensor can make up for. Under those bad lighting conditions I am forced to fall back on my speed lights, on and off camera, not only for additional light, but also fill in the unwanted shadows

Admittedly the better AF of the D850 always is welcome, but I find the D800 (I intentionally kept instead of upgrading to a as far as AF under bad light worse preforming D810) does the job very well nevertheless (maybe dumb luck or thanks to years of shooting with Nikon AF film and digital bodies)

So in the end I decided to, at least for the moment, postpone the purchase of a D850, to maybe buy it at a later moment when is has become wider available and possibly cheaper. And maybe someone found a way to process the RAW's in Nikon Capture NX2 (that option already been created for files from eg the D7200, D5 and D500)

Instead spend part of my cash (still have ample funds on the bank to get a D850 if I would want one) to recently upgrade my older, slow recycle times (around 1 second even at the lowest power settings) studio units for more modern, much faster (4 fps at approx 100Ws, near instantaneous up to 50% of full power = 375 Ws ) modern ones which allow me a much more spontaneous studio shooting style closer to the way I shoot outside
Happy with my choice, for the time being

Dec 06, 2017 at 08:17 PM
1       2      
       end

FM Forums | Nikon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

1       2      
       end

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.