New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · suggested photo papers for epson 3880 printer

wcj0
• •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · suggested photo papers for epson 3880 printer

just picked up a epson 3880 printer. Coming from canon printers, i don't have a clue as far as a good to excellent paper to use in an epson printer of this caliber. I would also like to know if anyone has used canon papers in an epson printer and how difficult it is to set up the printer to accept these papers. any help would be appreciated. Also would like to know is if you can use regular letter size paper to do print head nozzle checks and print head alignments. thanks

Nov 22, 2017 at 10:01 PM
frdjohns
• • •
p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · suggested photo papers for epson 3880 printer

Hello. I have an Epson P800, which is the replacement for the 3880 and before that used a 2200. A good source for paper is Red River. They have many different types of paper in many sizes from 4x6 up to 100 foot rolls. (http://www.redrivercatalog.com/) They provide instructions for each type of printer for each paper type. You can also download paper profiles for each paper, which I have found work very well. Red River also has a fair number of articles that are helpful learning to work with different papers and for installing downloaded profiles.

I would suggest buying one of their sample packs and then printing the same image on different papers to find the ones that you like.

I have used cannon paper (Cannon Photo Paper Plus Glossy II) in my P800, but only 4X6 glossy. I found I had to set it to plain photo glossy, not ultra photo glossy. It was dry to the touch after printing, but seemed not quite finished until I let them sit for a few minutes. I will not use it in the future as I prefer the Epson premium glossy papers.

Finally - I use plain paper for nozzle checks all the tiime, no problem. It is a good idea to run one every week if you are not using the printer regularly. Helps keep the nozzles clear and prevents the need for a cleaning cycle and the associated waste of ink.

For the head alignment, I used photo paper as that is something that is run when you first get the printer and then generally don't need to run again unless you have an issue or feel there is a problem.

Hope this helps and enjoy that 3880; it is a great printer.

Nov 22, 2017 at 10:24 PM
wcj0
• •
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · suggested photo papers for epson 3880 printer

frdjohns, you have no idea how much i appreciate your input. It definitely helps. Hopefully someone else chimes in with other suggestions. Right now i'm in the process of buying cone ink from inkjet mall. Hopefully this works out since they are having a 25%-30% off sale. Thanks again and have a happy Thanksgiving.

Nov 23, 2017 at 11:05 AM
runamuck
• • • • • •
[X]
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · suggested photo papers for epson 3880 printer

Gotten great results for years from Red River.

Nov 23, 2017 at 11:05 AM
OntheRez
• • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · suggested photo papers for epson 3880 printer

I really don't know what I'd do without my 3880. I have printed some incredible images with it. I use a variety of papers for different looks. Several are listed below.

Canon 13x19 Pro Glossy II (They often have excellent deals.)
Canson 13x19 Infinity Etching
Canson 17x22 Rag Photographique
Epson 17x22 Presentation Matte
Epson 17x22 Glossy (don't have full name)

Two "off brands" from
Simply Elegant: Premium Luster 11x14 Premium luster
Premier: 17x22 Fine Art Paper (cotton)

For 8.5x11 (8x10) and 5x7 (4x6) - generally done for clients who are looking for lower cost pix - I've had excellent results with Costco's Professional Glossy Inkjet. I know, a "low rent" paper with no cachet but great bang for buck. Honestly it's virtually impossible to differentiate between "real" paper and this alternative. There are stratospheric priced papers, but I don't use them. They're probably better, but I just don't see an incremental improvement that even comes close to the greater price. Of course, I could be a heathen who wouldn't know real art if it bit me.

I get most of the top end papers from Atlex They often have sales.

Tips: Do cleaning and whatever with normal paper. On occasion maybe use a sheet of the Costco paper. Even living in a dry climate (the Sonoran Desert), I rarely have any problem with cartridge drying. This 3880 has been running fairly often for ≈6 years. (Also check out Jon Con's inks at shop.inkjetmall.com - better than OEM.)

Most papers feed fine, but I do have to help some matte papers feed by holding them straight up and pushing down lightly. No clue why.

Truthfully, the 3880 prints well on any decent paper. Get small batches and experiment.

Also, the 3880 doesn't print canvas, but I love big canvas. Highly recommend www.cgproprints.com in Longmont, CO. I get wonderful 20x30 gallery framed pix for ≈$120. People often wonder if they are paintings.

Nov 23, 2017 at 01:10 PM
wcj0
• •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · suggested photo papers for epson 3880 printer

Once again i can only thank everyone for their excellent input and suggestions. B&H is running black friday specials on some of epsons paper. I bought two of the sample packs as well as other packs that are currently on sale. Happy Thanksgiving everyone.

Nov 23, 2017 at 01:19 PM
wcj0
• •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · suggested photo papers for epson 3880 printer

OntheRez, when you print with the canon Pro Glossy II paper, what settings do you use?

Nov 23, 2017 at 01:20 PM
OntheRez
• • • • •
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · suggested photo papers for epson 3880 printer

With Ps manages printer, Epson Stylus Pro 3880_3885 Premium Glossy/Luster/Semigloss - three different profiles. All work well. Additionally Canson has written its own profiles which is nice.

Nov 23, 2017 at 01:50 PM
asaya
• •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · suggested photo papers for epson 3880 printer

Like several other Red River paper work very well and there site is very informative

Nov 25, 2017 at 07:13 PM
EB-1
• • • • • • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · suggested photo papers for epson 3880 printer

I've used the 17x25" RR papers with good results since Epson didn't make that size.

EBH

Nov 25, 2017 at 09:22 PM
sbeme
• • • • • • •
p.1 #11 · p.1 #11 · suggested photo papers for epson 3880 printer

Back in time: I have the 3800 and love it.
I second the suggestion to get some sample packs, but not only from Red River, an excellent choice. Atlex also does a variety of sample packs.
My go to papers:
Epson Exhibition Fiber for color, BW. Love this one.
Ilford Gallerie Smooth Pearl for color, proofing, less exhibition quality...although I have sold a number of bird photos on it.
The number of options is dizzying and your choice depends on subject, cost, BW vs color, other factors. I would experiment with some barytas too, like Ilford Gold Fibre Silk

Scott

Nov 26, 2017 at 11:13 AM
wcj0
• •
p.1 #12 · p.1 #12 · suggested photo papers for epson 3880 printer

once again, thanks everyone

Nov 26, 2017 at 11:32 AM
Jo Dilbeck
• • • •
p.1 #13 · p.1 #13 · suggested photo papers for epson 3880 printer

Another vote for Red River, I use it pretty much exclusively on my Epson 3800, Of course, my needs are fairly basic, yours might be more in need of more exclusive paper. You really won't know until you get some samples and try them. Atlex is indeed another good source for many different types of paper.

JO

Nov 26, 2017 at 04:02 PM
wcj0
• •
p.1 #14 · p.1 #14 · suggested photo papers for epson 3880 printer

I just ordered some epson paper from IT Supplies online. Their prices seemed to blow away B&H's prices by a whole lot. I guess it's only a cyber Monday special if anyone is interested. Just thought i would let everyone know.

Nov 27, 2017 at 03:10 PM
howardm4
• • • •
p.1 #15 · p.1 #15 · suggested photo papers for epson 3880 printer

sometimes you're the bug, sometimes you're the windshield.

As w/ many things, it pays to shop around. No one always has the best price.

Nov 27, 2017 at 06:30 PM

FM Forums | Post-processing & Printing | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.