New Feature: SMS Notification alert
  New Feature: Buy & Sell Watchlist

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

Archive 2017 · 5D IV ISO switching back to auto mode after changed

rek101
• • •
Upload & Sell: Off
p.1 #1 · p.1 #1 · 5D IV ISO switching back to auto mode after changed

I am having an issue and can't seem to find an answer in the user manual.

I use a custom button to adjust ISO (set button + dial next to shutter release). When I use this to switch away from auto ISO to some value, the camera switches right back to auto ISO after the green lights go out in the viewfinder (a few seconds).

This only happens if I was originally in auto iso mode. If the camera was set to an ISO value with the menu, the changes stick if I switch to a different value via the custom controls.

On the mark III, I had the same customization and I didn't get switched right back to auto ISO after using the custom setting to make a change. I'd like the IV to behave more like the III.

Any suggestions?

Nov 22, 2017 at 06:59 PM
Corvette95

p.1 #2 · p.1 #2 · 5D IV ISO switching back to auto mode after changed

On older canon menu, there was an option to settable to return to default on customize user settings, do you use custom functions 1-4 have it accidently set to return to defaults of your custom profile after use?

Nov 23, 2017 at 06:22 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #3 · p.1 #3 · 5D IV ISO switching back to auto mode after changed

Yes it sounds like you are using C1/C2/C3 mode and have not enabled Auto Update setting.

You need to go to the menu with the spanner icon and go to the 5th tab and enter the Custom Shooting Mode C1-C3 setting and set Auto Update to Enabled.

Nov 23, 2017 at 06:38 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #4 · p.1 #4 · 5D IV ISO switching back to auto mode after changed

Doesn't it drive you crazy!?!
I noticed this a while ago and eventually a friendly FMer pointed me to the manual. It's a new behavior on the m4 and I don't care for it at all.

Nov 23, 2017 at 07:06 AM
rek101
• • •
p.1 #5 · p.1 #5 · 5D IV ISO switching back to auto mode after changed

Pixel Perfect wrote:
Yes it sounds like you are using C1/C2/C3 mode and have not enabled Auto Update setting.

You need to go to the menu with the spanner icon and go to the 5th tab and enter the Custom Shooting Mode C1-C3 setting and set Auto Update to Enabled.

If I'm in aperture priority mode when it happens, does that mean anything? I did set auto update to enable and the behavior is the same.

Nov 23, 2017 at 08:24 AM
rek101
• • •
p.1 #6 · p.1 #6 · 5D IV ISO switching back to auto mode after changed

dgdg wrote:
Doesn't it drive you crazy!?!
I noticed this a while ago and eventually a friendly FMer pointed me to the manual. It's a new behavior on the m4 and I don't care for it at all.

So far, it's kind of driving me nuts. I avoided auto ISO in the past because you couldn't tweak the shutter speed. Now auto ISO seems much better, but I can't get out of it with a custom dial. Is there a work around? Some way to trick the camera into changing ISO and keeping the setting without using the two step process of hitting the ISO button, then moving a wheel? That is just too annoying to possibly use.

Nov 23, 2017 at 08:38 AM
dgdg
• • • • •
p.1 #7 · p.1 #7 · 5D IV ISO switching back to auto mode after changed

rek101 wrote:
So far, it's kind of driving me nuts. I avoided auto ISO in the past because you couldn't tweak the shutter speed. Now auto ISO seems much better, but I can't get out of it with a custom dial. Is there a work around? Some way to trick the camera into changing ISO and keeping the setting without using the two step process of hitting the ISO button, then moving a wheel? That is just too annoying to possibly use.

If you find a way, please send me a pm. I think you can use other buttons, but none are as convenient as the set button and front wheel combo. Plus I use my other buttons for things that require more important rapid adjustments.

Nov 23, 2017 at 10:10 AM
Pixel Perfect
• • • • • • •
Upload & Sell: On
p.1 #8 · p.1 #8 · 5D IV ISO switching back to auto mode after changed

If you read the manual on p505 it clearly states manually selected ISO will revert back to auto ISO after 4s, if you set ISO via SET and main dial. If you don't want this you have to use ISO button and main dial, then with the setting I mentioned earlier it will retain the change you made. If you don't want this you could use the large main dial (QCD) to change ISO while metering is active and then it won't change back even after metering finishes as per p506. seems like a good alternative.

Nov 23, 2017 at 05:18 PM
rek101
• • •
p.1 #9 · p.1 #9 · 5D IV ISO switching back to auto mode after changed

Pixel Perfect wrote:
If you read the manual on p505 it clearly states manually selected ISO will revert back to auto ISO after 4s, if you set ISO via SET and main dial. If you don't want this you have to use ISO button and main dial, then with the setting I mentioned earlier it will retain the change you made. If you don't want this you could use the large main dial (QCD) to change ISO while metering is active and then it won't change back even after metering finishes as per p506. seems like a good alternative.

Thank you. I guess I missed it. I was looking for a solution and assumed it was some kind of setting I screwed up. I didn't think Canon would do something like this on purpose.

Nov 23, 2017 at 06:29 PM
rek101
• • •
p.1 #10 · p.1 #10 · 5D IV ISO switching back to auto mode after changed

It definitely works. If you switch exposure compensation to a custom function and use the main dial for ISO the change doesn't revert back. Seems like you can have two ways to mess with ISO, temporary and permanent. Thanks again.

Nov 23, 2017 at 09:46 PM

FM Forums | Canon Forum | Join Upload & Sell

You are not logged in. Login or Register

Username       Or Reset password

This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.